1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Concern about Terrence Jones in Playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Remii

Remii Member

And if GSW knocks off the Clippers, the Rockets may not have to worry about seeing another high level power forward after they get by Portland.

2. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Geez, dude. It's just meant to spark a little conversation. If you don't like it, why don't you abstain.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Meh, just in a pissy mood and upset that Jeremy was not mentioned I guess.

;)

DD

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

DLee ain't trash. And there are 3 (or 4) more games to be won.

It's on TJo to make LMA work. He can do it.

5. okeezie

okeezie Member

Some of you guys are idiots. The top power forwards in the league torch everybody. That is why they are All Stars. Beating a dead horse and saying Jones can't guard them is pointless. Nobody can. Those PFs can't even guard each other. Just stop it!

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Uh, there are MANY players out there that aren't Max or near-Max guys that would be a better option for a deep playoff run than Jones. I disagree completely that the Rockets tried very hard to shore up that weakness, simply because it hasn't been done. They did not show any sense of urgency for trying to win a championship this year. It's laughable to me that you think I'm advocating bringing in another "all-star" - that's the LAST thing I want. I'm thinking of Carl Landry or Patrick Patterson-type guys (or Brandon Bass). Guys that are smart and you can count on a consistent level of production from them from game to game, and are very solid at specific things (mid-range jumper, for example). Yes, Jones has been great this year and has a bright future, but the Rockets should be in win now mode. Morey has prioritized 'flexibility' over a championship this year. That is what I have a hard time 'dealing with'.

7. TheFreak

I am aware of this. I'd rather have 8 and 6 if it were more reliable. I'm not looking for gaudy stats at PF, only consistency.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I agree with you partly. But the legitimate angle to look at is whether they will torch another player as much as Jones. We have some pieces that can be moved around among the Dwight/Asik/Jones/Dmo/Powell group. If changing the combination out there on the floor yields a better result, I am all for it. If it means Jones not starting in certain matchups, then fine.

Look at last year, Garcia did a better job on Durant in the playoffs than anyone else we had. He wasn't a starter, but he got moved quickly into starter minutes.

If Asik, or someone else can contain LMA more than Jones, and if we don't give up anything on the other end, then it sounds like a wise move to me. The latter part maybe a deal breaker though. We will see.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

I would take Asik over all those guys.

10. okeezie

okeezie Member

Patrick Patterson? Are you kidding me? He is one of the most overrated players we have ever had. How many other starting PFs averaged 4 reb a game? Or provided no rim protection whatsoever. We don't encourage mid range jumpers so why would he fit on our current team? And Landry was also a terrible rebounder and defender. Know what you are talking about before you post!

11. oakdogg

I disagree with just about everything you just said.

12. oakdogg

I actually agree with this, but I would love to pick up Patrick Patterson somehow for a reasonable deal.

13. TheFreak

You're right - I'm sure the only way the Rockets could have acquired a dependable journeyman-type PF this year would have been by dealing Asik.

14. Remii

Remii Member

KD scored 32 points a game during that playoff series. You're confusing Garcia's few good moments for a complete top notch defensive game in game out playoff performance which it was not.

15. Remii

Remii Member

TJ (and whoever else) is fine And there's not a PF out there you can find that can shut down LMA. Everyone else has to step up and not let the other players on the team go off. That's why it's a team sport.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

You seem to sound sarcastic. But you may want to check the cbafaq and these player salaries first.

The only player you list that would not require Asik for salary matching is Patterson. If Toronto asked for DMo, Casspi, and our 2014 1st round pick for Patterson, would you have said yes? I still wouldn't.

17. TheFreak

You may want to read my post again, specifically the part where I said I'd like a Carl Landry or Patrick Patterson-type guy.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Carl Landry himself got 4yr/$27mil in FA. I'd assume his TYPE would not be making a lot less. And if his TYPE does make a lot less, then said player would be quite valuable and require a sizable return in a trade, no?

19. okeezie

okeezie Member

What is there to disagree with? What has Patterson done since he left the Rockets? He couldn't get minutes on a sorry Sacramento team. He plays 10 minutes on a so so Toronto team. Check Patterson's numbers..no blocks and no rebounds. Some people complain just to complain. Jones is way better than Paterson and getting better.

20. Zergling

Zergling Member

basketballholic has to be hiding somewhere. Not only has Jones played a lot and has been extremely effective, our Twin Towers lineup was a complete failure and we may never see it again