1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Concern about Terrence Jones in Playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Apr 17, 2014.

1. basketballholic

Jones is most definitely a huge asset against teams that have weak rim d. Double most definitely. You combine him with Dwight against those teams with weak rim d and that combo dominates.

However Miami is NOT a team with weak rim d. Miami has Chris Andersen, Chris Bosh, and LeBron James. ..... that's 3 good to great rim defenders. And I haven't even mentioned Haslem here. If we attempt to try to play mash ball with Dwight and Jones against the Heat's interior rim protectors they will annihilate us.

2. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Bosh and Lebron are pretty much used to trap ballhandlers on the perimeter to keep them from the ball from getting near the rim in the first place. Their defensive gameplan is kind of an admission by Spoelstra that they can't get boards or protect the rim so it's more efficient for them to force TO's at the perimeter and offset opponent paint points with transition paint points, than lock up the paint. The Nets started playing this way too after Lopez got injured.

Birdman is their only decent rim protector, which is why he was a gamechanger for them last year. I think they were hoping Oden could play that role too when he picked him up.

If you look at Jones and Dwight's stats against Miami, they're pretty dominant. Their FG %'s are high and they kill it on the offensive boards.

3. basketballholic

If you think that LeBron and Chris Bosh are not good to great rim defenders (especially when they are playing in concert with Andersen and Haslem) then you don't know what you are talking about. Miami is very good at the rim when teams try to mash them up down low.

4. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Put Garcia on LMA and he will shut him down 4REAL. If that didn't work, then they need to practice quick double teaming to confusing him. I don't expect the Twin Tower because Asik isn't quick enough to hard LMA. If LMA likes to back down...sure that will be a good matchup for Asik, but he's a jump shooter. Jones, Parson and Garcia will go at LMA on Sunday!!!

5. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Spoelstra doesn't use them to patrol the paint. Lebron is out at the perimeter, either trapping or trying to steal the pass out of the trap. Bosh runs all the way out to the arc to trap. If the ball gets through, he's fast so his job is to run back and try to cover the rim but he doesn't have enough time to beat athletic bigs and does nothing against guys like Dwight or Hibbert.

You understand Miami's primary strategy is to kill the offense by screwing with the ballhandler and they're willing to send 2 guys all the way halfcourt to do it, even if it creates a mismatch in the paint or opens it up. Smart teams have been exploiting this all year, sending a rollman or a cutter into the paint to score. On top of that, Miami doesn't rebound so once you get the ball in the paint you got the advantage.

Only time this changes is when Birdman or Oden is on the floor and they go back to a conventional defense. But then they lose their small ball game on the other side of the floor.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I was watching the starters yesterday, and apprently, TJ is the only player that has had a net negative vs the blazers...

7. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Maybe Harden can check Aldridge. Seems sensible from what we've seen of Harden's post defense so far. And Aldridge definitely can't put the ball on the floor against Harden.

8. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Jones has had trouble all season long with big, scoring PF's like Aldridge, Z-Bo, Dirk, and Griffin.

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

He might have a break out series. Isn't this his first playoffs.

10. basketballholic

Spoelstra deploys his defense to respond most critically to the opponent's offensive game plans. If we try to play mash ball against the Heat with Dwight and Jones for a 7 game series they will annihilate us.

11. basketballholic

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

False he had pretty good numbers against that frontline as well. LOL I really hope the youngsta shuts you up around here.

13. basketballholic

Show me the games where Jones and Dwight played against Duncan and Splitter. You don't know what you're talking about.

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

What, when have you rooted for Jones dude. You been against the younsta since pre-season. You keep spewing this nonsense about how he hasn't played well against the top teams. Well sir he has played well against the defending Champions, the defending Western Conference champs and the Eastern Conference runner ups ( Pacers). This is growing pains for him and the Rockets, meaning this is his 1st season starting. Name me other 2nd year players in their 1st year starting who can hold down Griffin, LMA, Randolph and Duncan. Again give the man some time Holic.

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Our 2nd game against the Spurs on December 25 joker. The Spurs started Duncan and Splitter. Jones had 21 points, 14 rebounds and 3 blocks. I watch every game dude so don't ever tell me I don't know what im talking about.

16. basketballholic

Here again, you're making a case for Jones' continued development. I'm not against that. But right now we're trying to win a championship. There's more things more pressing right now than Jones' development. More pressing is how are we going to beat Portland and keep them from abusing Jones and beating us.

17. basketballholic

1 game.

I said games.

I acknowledged this game. We torched them on Christmas day all over the court. But it was Christmas. It was one game.

That's the only one you got.

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Dude like someone mention before Harden and Howard will have to carry this team to the promise land. Everybody else have to play their role and step up when the big two games are off. The bench will also have to give us a lift when the starters are not clicking. To beat Portland we will have to play our game, do what you do best. Get the necessary stops and win the hustle game. Go back and look at the three games we won and you will see the ingredients to beating Portland.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Dude you are a freaking trip for real. Joker that was the only freaking game that Pop started Duncan and Splitter in the front court against us. Other than that Splitter only averages around 17-20 minutes a game against us. Pop normally runs out Diaw against us. And you on here telling people they don't know what they are talking about. LOL too funny

20. basketballholic

Do you think Dwight/Jones match up favorably with Duncan/Splitter?