1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Concern about Terrence Jones in Playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

TJ doesnt have to shoot a jumper, just put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket for one of his close shots around the basket or pass it to Dwight. Expect to see Asik playing with Dwight, especially now that Asik isnt pouting like a big baby (see November 2013).

- All you need is a consistent big 2 and and any third player to contribute each game to win the title or Hakeem Olajuwon and any 4 players
    - Rockets dont need Melo, Melo needs the Rockets

2. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

1000 % agree dawg. Jones is charmin on defense and on the boards and he's been exploited every minute he's played against Portland. Don't think McHale and Morey don't know that. He will not play much this series.

3. ryebread

ryebread Member

tjones good one-on-one defender. terrible at team defense. but stil much better than dmo as dmo is terrible at both. he's really good at fouling though.

4. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

It's a decent idea on paper, but the Blazers are a jump-shooting team with the potential to dismantle that defense easily. Honestly, I don't see us containing their offense if they get hot. I can easily see us out-gunning them by taking it inside hard, though. They're soft, Harden's gonna run over them.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I am not a big Jones fan, either, but you play with the team you have. I have been very underwhelmed by small ball this year except in limited minutes with Casspi at the 4 and only 1 point guard. Maybe Casspi gets more minutes in playoffs. I have hoped DMo would be the top PF, but he's been horrible lately (a lot of it is him playing center though).

At this point, I just hope Harden and Howard carry the team.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Jones, in some ways has the hardest task in facing LMA, then Ibaka, then Griffin, and then Lebron (ok, I am optimistic about our run).

This is a daunting task for anyone. Against these players specifically, I cant see Casspi doing better. Parsons would be my choice if Jones is getting overwhelmed.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

And I actually did get IB4 the BHollic rant.

Jones will be fine. The series will fall back on Harden, Howard, a little bit of defense, and how well the Rockets guard the 3. LMA will get his, the Rox bench will prob suck and cause a shorter rotation, and either Batum and Matthews go off or they don't. The exposure of Jones' 3 point shot will be like #25 on the importance list of things that decide the series.

Hint: defense is #1.

Get stops especially from the perimeter and the Rox should win.
    Give up easy 3's and the Blazers have a good shot.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Casspi would do well, relatively, against LA and Ibaka (granted I'd prefer Harden against Ibaka), IMO. I don't like Jones on defense, but he hurts teams that try to small ball the Rockets. Rockets will only face one of Ibaka and Griffin if they beat SA. Griffin is the only PF in the West that would scare me. Randolph and Dirk are bad matchups as well, but playing them means the Rockets are playing Memphis or Dallas instead of LAC or OKC.

9. justbuckets

justbuckets Member

then get ready for T3RR3NC3 JON3S!

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400489294

They even had Duncan on him and Baynes on Dwight the last game, it's because Jones' athleticism. The Spurs struggle against teams with athleticism all over the court, that's why they can go on huge winning streaks then look second rate against okc and us, because none of them play more than 3 inches off the ground.

#50 Aleron, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  11. basketballholic

Jones will either be in foul trouble or will be ineffective attempting to defend LaMarcus without fouling. He'll play limited minutes. And he's really best served in this series matching up against TRob. That's just a couple athletic dumb-dumbs right there with very little skill outside the paint. TRob does have a 15 footer that Jones doesn't have. Jones has a little handle that TRob doesn't have. Other than that...let them bang on each other. Jones will get torched by LaMarcus and if we try to switch Dwight onto LaMarcus it will get worse as Dwight can't stick LaMarcus outside and Jones is no match for Lopez underneath.

Jones will be ok in this series...parked on the bench.

12. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Parsons cannot play the 4. Every single time he gets backed down EASY. Casspi CAN do a lot better than Parsons at the PF spot, but against LMA neither one is a good choice.

13. Panda23

Panda23 Member

[​IMG]

14. basketballholic

There is only one man on our roster that can handle LaMarcus.

15. Progs

Progs Member

I really think Powell will be helping with his toughness and midrange J just in case Jones/Dmo aren't getting it done.

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I don't think it really matters i mean Jones doesn't really have plays run for him or anything, all his points come from the dirty work like rebound put-backs, alley opps and stuff like that.

17. dobro1229

Oh man. You really sold me. TRADE JONES!!!.... Jones sucks. Burn him at the stake. He got my GF pregnant, and stole my grandpas social security. Jones is the b*stard spawn of Satan & Obama. We are all going to die in a fiery black plague cause of Terrence Alexander F-Ing Jones!!!!

(who is um... the 2nd year and youngest player on the team that averages 18, and 12 against the best team in basketball.... yeah HE'S the problem)

Maybe Jones sucks and maybe he doesn't but if the Rockets lose its not because of Jones. Its because of the 5 guys who are ahead of him in payroll, the shot chart, the coach, and the depth chart that have cause for concern. Jones is a 2nd year player who has a very small role on a contending team, and has produced well this year.

There is no reason to think that he's going to be the one sole factor in holding back the Rockets from contention this year. If they are getting there.... its because of James Harden, Dwight Howard, Chandler Parsons, Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik, Kevin McHale, and the others..... who include Terrence Jones.

Chill the F---- out with the BS Terrence Jones scapegoatism. It is insulting to our overall basketball intellect. He's done well in his role, and there is zero reason to believe that the title will come down to one single function that Jones won't be able to perform. There will be other team and individual functions that come way before Jones has the ability to be that one sole deciding function.

1 person likes this.
  18. basketballholic

You post this crap and then you tell me to chill out????

:grin:;):grin:;):grin:;)

19. sn09

sn09 Member

Jones is a very strong finisher around the rim. With the attention Dwight and Harden are gonna get, he has a chance to be a pretty big factor offensively.
    Where I worry about him is how he is going to defend Aldridge. Although to be fair, not many people can stop Aldridge on their own.

20. dobro1229

Im pretty sure that's exactly what I said.... wait... let me check... yes thats what I said. You are obsessed with Terrence Jones as if he's the one that stomped on your leg in Portland and owes you money. Its pathetic.