1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Concern about Terrence Jones in Playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Apr 17, 2014.

1. today

today Contributing Member

Been thinking about this thread this week.

oakdogg +1

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good use of the TT without sacrificing their style of play. Oddly enough, they played "smaller ball" with Asik & Howard than they did with jones and Dwight in the first two games.

Doesn't matter who they play, it's how they play that will keep them in this series and like I said before how Dwight and James play TOGETHER. The last two games they haven't really played on the same page.

Great game and great win.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jones is just too small to play against LMA.

4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Indeed and well said pimp

5. dobro1229

Its funny. These two teams are just so weird. LMA has such a crazy advantage over PF's and yet the identity of the Blazers is that they really truly WANT to go with LMA at the 5 in a small lineup naturally.

The Rockets have an advantage going small, but McHale wants to go big. Its actually pretty funny.

In the end though, they both seem to end games going back to where they feel most natural, and that's in a perimeter oriented style of play anyways.... Which should actually work out to the Rockets benefit (and we'd be talking about SAS already if not for one goofy rebound in game 1).

Like I said before - I was just happy tonight to see the Rockets get back to their style of play that made them so hard to handle back in the regular season. Harden and Howard just played real well together despite Harden continuing to shoot poorly.

6. Zergling

Zergling Member

Jones was awful tonight. I'd rather see Motiejunas get half of his playing time at least.

7. dobro1229

Dude played like 10 minutes. Chill. He wasn't going to be a focal point of the offense or anything anyways.

I actually thought he make good moves on two post ups he missed at the rim. He's usually better about finishing at the rim. However those were broken plays where he made something out of nothing. If the Blazers try the next couple games to go smaller, and smaller Jones will have more and more opportunity to help the team win these next two games. Him and Garcia need to stay ready.

No harm no foul for TJ. He wasn't a tool in the toolshed that McHale thought he could use tonight. No need to knee jerk.

8. basketballholic

No need to knee-jerk...until we've lost 4 I guess.

Asik 27 minutes
    Jones 13 minutes

WIN

9. basketballholic

This thread is so full of fail.

10. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

It's all about match ups. The 6'8" inexperienced Jones is just at a disadvantage against Aldridge. If the Rockets get past the Blazers then we may see a lot more of Jones against other opponents. Aldridge is just a tough guy defend.

11. Rockness

Rockness Member

Jones is not the problem, he is done quite well actually!! He's been the same, his help side defense and position problems are a team issue and his 1-on-1 defense + occasional drive to the basket is something that was already there and hasn't hurt the team that much. It's not like Asik or Howard were stopping LMA by themselves.

12. basketballholic

What was the problem in the first 2 games that wasn't the problem in game 3?

Ugh, you guys are unreal.

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Hey chill out nobody and there momma wasn't going to stop LaMarcus on those two nights. Eventually that hot shooting was going to simmer down. You should know that since you are one of the great basketball minded individuals on here.

Yes you were right about utilizing the Twin Tower. But there were other facets in which sealed the deal. Did they not double team LMA like I said they should. Didn't Harden finally showed some emotion ,drive, and heart. Didn't we not match their intensity? Didn't Mchale think outside the box and gave the rookie Daniels some burn because of his three point shooting.

14. dobro1229

Jones has been very very good all season long. It's not knee jerking to say he needs to stay ready cause it's not like they sounded the alarm for his career or anything just because he didn't play much in a playoff game of this magnitude when obviously they needed to throw the kitchen sink at LMA. (yeah Asik and Dwight were doubling LMA last night. Stotts will notice that and make adjustments and probably go smaller).

The fact is the a Rockets weren't playing their brand of basketball in the first two games, and needed to get more ball movement and action between Harden and Howard(something I pointed out was probably the most important factor in the playoffs which you argued about).

The Rockets were better because of that action first and foremost. That's the catalyst for everything they do offensively. My concern was A. They had very little practice and court time to work in the TT, and B. The evidence from early in the year suggested they would get mixed up on the assignments and rotations on both ends which they didn't last night. Great.

Also- like you would be able to be objective about something you had an argument about with anyone here? I highly doubt that.

I was glad the TT worked to get Aldridge off his game at the start. I know you wouldn't be happy or objective had Jones come out and been a difference maker cause you are that kinda guy obviously.

15. torocan

torocan Member

The Blazers are just a bad match up for TJones. He gives up tons of size to LMA, and their shot blocking has really killed his finishes at the rim. He needs to stay on reduced minutes for this series the same was as Hibbert should rarely be on the floor against Atlanta due to Antic.

That's not his fault, most every player has an opposing team that is a bad match up for them individually. The same applies to Dwight, Harden and Lin.

The key is just to use other options when they're available. In this case, it's got to be Asik.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am actually all for "TJones as a starter in Regular season games and coming off the bench in the playoffs"

Gives them more option off the pine. Asik or Powell should be the way to go.
    Tjones has already won with playing many many minutes already.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

So, I guess you didn't see the howard double teams right? Or maybe you didn't see the 24 mins asik played in game 2 neither. Look,we know your feelings about jones and you claimed to have played d-1 basketball,but just be honest. This win was no different than the 2 losses. It had nothing to do with jones or asik and everything to do with just making 1 or 2 plays. Someone grabs the rebound at the end of regulation in game 1,rockets win. Harden plays a little better or they don't give up 18 to dorrel wright in game 2 they win. Lma missing wide open shots off pnr something he dint do in houston,they probably win. Daniels draining a huge shot is what finally won the game. I'm sure somehow you will spin this into asik containing lma despite the howard was the guy doubling and portland got clean 3 pt looks too. Carry on.

18. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Dude, are you trying to say that Jones plays LMA as well as Asik? Is that what you're trying to say? Delusional.

19. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I really appreciate the rep (I have so few of them :( ), but I've got to credit holic for carrying the Twin Towers cause. I think he turned out to be right.

20. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Rep means absolutely nothing.