1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My College Football Top 5...

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by kidrock8, Sep 30, 2002.

1. mduke

mduke Member

What, you think I lied?;) I'll post sparingly, mostly on the fantasy forum, until after OU-Texas. I do not want any part in this arguing with people about stuff that does not matter at all.

I guess you haven't seen Tulsa play yet then....
    I guess Chris Simms sucks too, as their #s are very comparable this year. Hybl IS NOT the problem this year, although we do have a huge offensive problem and will lose AT LEAST 2 games if we keep playing like this.

2. tozai

tozai Member

Shall we go AGAIN...

j/k

I'll wait till October 12th to have my say about this...

3. mduke

mduke Member

Don't get me wrong, Nate Hybl is definitely no Chris Simms. But to those who say he sucks and Simms is Heisman quality are pure hypocrites, as they're putting up almost identical numbers thus far.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I didn't realize that Hybl is the 4th leading passer in OU history. Of course, they just discovered the forward pass 12 years ago. ;)

5. mduke

mduke Member

Hey, whatever works......;)

6. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

I stand by my statement from 9/30/02....

7. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

Perhaps Texas could have used McNutt as a nickel back today.....

Texas Tech - 21
    Ohio St. - 45

8. mduke

mduke Member

Is that why they keep barely beating teams with losing records? I do, however, think that they will beat Michigan.:(

9. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

Cut them a little slack. Ohio State's Oline has been banged up and shuffled for the past 6 weeks and OSU has played 11 strait weeks. A couple of teams have caught OSU within the past month coming off of their BYE week......

If Ohio St. had 3 BYE weeks like the Canes, maybe they would have looked a little better in a couple of those games.

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

This thread brings up great memories, I love it:
    1. OSU doesn't deserve to be in the same class as Miami, Va Tech, OK or UT
    2. Texas wins big games

Ha, ha!!!

Chaney thanks for bringing this one up I love it!

Beat Michigan!

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

And who's to say OSU wins big games? The last time I checked they didn't play anyone near the caliber of Oklahoma.

The people who say Texas can't win big games... well, we beat K-State on the road, who is clearly a top 10 team. The only "big game" this team lost was against Oklahoma, and unless your team beats someone of that quality (no, I don't consider WSU in the no defense Pac 10 of that quality, esp. when that game was in Columbus), then you don't have an argument.

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Is it really relevant right now? Seeing how UT lost in a not so big game?

13. The Cat

Yes. Most teams do lose games like the one we lost on Saturday, on the road against a pretty good opponent. OU did it last weekend, and a whole lot of folks basically call it a fluke and still say they should play for the title. Outside of one loss on the road to a dangerous home team, we've only lost a game against Oklahoma. When these other top teams play a regular season opponent the caliber of Oklahoma, let me know.

Also, kidrock, I have a question for you. Just to make sure you're consistent... what do you think about KSU being ranked ahead of UT, considering they have the same record and UT beat them at their place?

14. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Washington State is #3 in the country and we beat them. At this point WSU is the Caliber of Oklahoma (check the polls and the BCS).
    TT beat Texas and we destroyed them
    PSU is top 15 and we shut down their offense
    And we've done it recently without our Heismann candidate (Clarett). Take away anyones best player and let me see who is still standing).

Texas has all the talent in the World (especially this year). They didn't get it one.

Beat Michigan!

15. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

That I don't understand. UT should be ranked higher than K-State, much the same way OU should have been ranked higher than UT a week or two ago.

Miami played against some TOUGH opponents (Florida, BC, FSU, Tenn) and still has V-Tech on the schedule. Ohio State beat Texas Tech (which UT couldn't do), Washington State (now #3), Penn State (moving up), and still has to play Michigan (top ten team). Iowa beat both Michigan and Penn State (but lost to Iowa State). Georgia hasn't done anything but beat Tennessee. Washington State, with a not-so-good schedule, lost to Ohio State, but managed to beat USC (so they've done little, too).

Basically, Miami and Ohio State have played some tough teams, on par with Oklahoma. Consequently, they're #1 and #2 in the polls AND in the BCS. They deserve to face each other in the title game. This could ALL change next week, though...

16. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

UT definitely should be ranked ahead of KSU, but does it REALLY matter? UT doesn't have the BCS to worry about anymore.

For that same, reason it was a JOKE that OU was tied with UT in the AP Poll, and 3 spots below UT in the coaches poll, a week or two ago. Yet, some UT fans thought the AP Poll was a joke since OU was tied with UT?

You can't have it both ways.

17. The Cat

I don't want it both ways; I just want a firm precedent and standard. I thought it was a joke because of the precedent in previous years that had been set. However, since the AP voters decided to put OU tied with UT, I thought head to head was going to matter. Now apparently it doesn't. I just want consistency.

Also, you're going to think I'm crazy, but UT is not completely done with the BCS. Here's the breakdown, if OSU beats Michigan, and OU wins the Big 12.

Big East = Miami
    Big Ten = Ohio State
    Big 12 = Oklahoma
    ACC: Florida State
    SEC: Georgia/LSU/whoever
    Pac 10: Washington St.
    At Large 1: Iowa
    At Large 2: ??? (#8 USC, #9 Notre Dame, #10 KSU, #11 Texas)

Consider the following scenario, which is feasible because UCLA is playing well.

UCLA beats USC.
    USC beats Notre Dame

I think, no matter what, Texas is more attractive than Kansas State because they beat them head to head and have a bigger name and bigger name players. Would a two-loss Texas be taken over a two-loss Notre Dame? In all likelihood, no. But there is a chance. If USC beats Notre Dame pretty badly, it may drop ND low enough in the human polls that they won't be in the BCS top 12, a requirement for BCS games. Or, if the Sugar Bowl has a choice of the at-large team, they *might* actually opt for Texas. They really liked Texas last year, and there is a large number of UT fans in the greater New Orleans area.

Plus, if ND got it handed to them in their last game, there might be a lot of pressure from the media and other sources to not take them. It's improbable, but not impossible.

18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Vescey,

You're wrong about Georgia. They have beaten someone else than Tennessee, that is argubably one of the best teams in college football right now, in Alabama.

The Tide absolutely smoked LSU down in Baton Rouge Saturday night 34-0.

Plus, Auburn and Kentucky are no slouches.

19. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

All right, Manny. I'll give you Alabama. They ARE #9 in the country. However, The Cat said, "When these other top teams play a regular season opponent the caliber of Oklahoma, let me know." Kentucky and Auburn ain't "Oklahoma-like" opponents. Sorry.

20. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

That's true, VS, but I believe that Kentucky and Auburn are both better than Tennessee this season (which is why I mentioned them).