1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My College Football Top 5...

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by kidrock8, Sep 30, 2002.

1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

1. Miami- Deepest team I've seen in a while, going back to the FSU teams of the mid to late 90s. I've heard that Miami might have 5 or 6 1st round draft picks on the DL, when only 4 start... They have the ability to pressure the QB, while dropping 6-7 guys back in coverage.

2. Virginia Tech- IMO, the best defense in the nation. Solid all-around from the DL to LB to DBs. They also have the best spec teams in the nation. Granted, their offense won't light up the scoreboard, but they can run the ball as well as any team in the nation, which allows their defense to rest. Kevin Jones and Lee Suggs are the best RB duo in the last 15+ years. Adibi is one of the most underrated DEs, much less players in the nation.

3. Texas- Talent-wise, they are only behind Miami, and even that is up for debate. They could easily be #2, but they haven't really been tested thus far. They've played pretty weak comp, and none of their games have come close. This may hurt UT in the future, if they are in a tight game. The Mack Brown and Simms big-game factor also holds weight until they prove they have the jewels to win a big game. They can start by beating OU in 2 weeks.

4. Oklahoma- Tough D, with the most playmakers in the nation, especially at LB and DB. They have a huge ? mark at QB, as well all know. Key to beating UT, is to control the clock with short passing, and the running game. As well as blitzing Simms like there's no tommorow, until if/when he burns you.

5. Ohio State- They are #5 by default. The rest of the teams do not look like title contenders. Tennessee would have been in the top 5 without a doubt, if they took care of business against Fla, who had a tougher game against Kentucky. OSU has the best freshman RB since Ron Dayne, in Maurice Clarett. Jim Krenzel is a so-so QB.

What I can't wait for is the games between OU-UT, and Miami-VT. Obviously, my top 5 will not hold up by January, for this reason. I'm 90% certain the Miami-VT winner will have 1 of the Fiesta Bowl bids, while I'm 60% certain the OU-UT winner will end up with the 2nd Fiesta Bowl bid.

Thoughts?

2. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Clarett is the best Freshman beck since Hershel Walker.

Also we'll still see about #5 by default, we beat 1 decent team in Texas Tech, 1 good team in Washing State, escaped an in-state rival without Clarett and took care of business vs. Indiana. Like I said in another thread I think Miami is the best team by a long shot and there are several other teams that are all close (including Ok, Texas, Vt and OSU) so I guess we'll have to see who's standing at the end of the year.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I pretty much agree with your assessment of your top 5, kidrock, but I don't think Ohio State (sorry 4chuckie) is on the same level as the other 4 of Miami, Texas, Oklahoma, and Virginia Tech.

I see Texas beating Oklahoma simply because OU's QB, Nate Hybl, sucks.

Then Miami, if they can get by FSU and Tennessee (and I think they will), will be unbeaten when they play another unbeaten on December 7 in Virginia Tech.

I give the edge in that game to Miami simply because the game is at the Orange Bowl, but Virginia Tech has the best chance of beating Miami that is on the Canes schedule.

It should be very interesting to see how it all shakes out.

4. Major

Major Member

I agree with your top 5. OU and Texas are still unknowns as well, as neither team has really played anyone (OU did play Alabama). VaTech has played a real schedule with LSU, A&M, and Marshall. Miami has played Florida.

If only Iowa State had gotten 1 more yard (and won OT), they would be in this top 5 as well.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Stop rationalizing OSU barely beating a crappy Cincinnati team. If UT barely beat Rice, I wouldn't say it was because they were an intra-state rival, regardless of injuries.

That being said, they're in my top 5.

6. JamesC

JamesC Member

I still think Virginia Tech is over-rated. A&M shut down Suggs and Jones. I know the Wrecking Crew's D is one of the best in the country, but Tech just didnt seem that good to me. Miami, OU and Texas would've killed them. I think Iowa State would've beat them too.

7. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Every team has a game (or two) they don't show up for. God knows we are use to that here in Columbus! :) We were lucky to win, but we won. I'm sure FSU would love to have there game to do over this week.

I would nearly guarantee there will be a game this year when Texas doesn't play well and you will either be relieved to squeak one out or you will be talking about next year. Every team gets a scare, again I am not happy with the way the Buccks played but we are fortunate to play a bad game and still win.

Also I wanted to ask all the Big 12 fans what you think now of your Championship Game at the end of the year. I know hindsight is always 20/20 but how will you feel if you do have an undefeated team (UT or OK) who makes it to the Championship game and loses and it allows another team to squeak into the Fiesta bowl to play (presumebly Miami-Va Tech)???
    I know I would love the Big 10 to have a Championship game, but at teh same time that would kill me to have OSU to go undefeated then lose to someone they have already played (or someone with more losses).

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

So I guess Rice has now become the de facto definition of a crappy football team? (Yes, I'm an alumnus of Rice) We went 8-4 last season, and defeated UT in 1994, and lost to them by 5 points in '99, which was the last time we played them. Yeah, we've gotten off to a lousy start this season, no question. I propose that Baylor should be used from now on to refer to the joke football team.

9. mav3434

mav3434 Member

I agree for the most part cept you have vtech up too high. I am not as impressed with their victories as some.

LSU- perenially disappointing team in a weak sec
    Marshall- have yet to show they can run with the big boys
    AM- c'mon, their offense is worse than the Texans. It's too bad that the Longhorns will beat A&M too, but it will be later in the year after the ags may have lost a few more games, and the horns won't get nearly the recognition the hokies got earlier in the year for doing essentially the same thing.

They're still a decent team, but a national title contender? ehhh, I just don't think can score in enough ways to be scary and their defense I believe can be run on as they tend to be smallish. A true power team (like nebraska used to be) would embarras them.

They still do a lot with what they have though, and I would love to see them knock off miami.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

OK, let me edit the word crappy as an adjective for Cincinnati. They aren't that bad, but they aren't great...like Rice. No one's as bad as Baylor.

11. mfclark

mfclark Member

You got that right!

And, if things hold up, they may get the chance. Hurricane Lili should be passing to Tallahassee's south and west on Thursday...bringing in the best shot of rain all week just in time for Thursday's night game at home vs. Clemson.

12. Major

Major Member

Also I wanted to ask all the Big 12 fans what you think now of your Championship Game at the end of the year. I know hindsight is always 20/20 but how will you feel if you do have an undefeated team (UT or OK) who makes it to the Championship game and loses and it allows another team to squeak into the Fiesta bowl to play (presumebly Miami-Va Tech)???

I still like it, even if it costs a team at the national title. It cost Nebraska a shot in 1996 and K-State a chance in 1997 (both undefeated and lost to UT and A&M respectively). If you're the best team in the nation, you should be able to win a game against another great team on a neutral turf. If you can't, you're not the best team. I have no problem with that, personally.

It also helps in strength of schedule and makes for one of the most fun games of the season. You know you'll have two damn good teams going at it (especially the way the B12 is set up now - not so much in the SEC where the power is concentrated in one divsion).

I agree for the most part cept you have vtech up too high. I am not as impressed with their victories as some.

LSU- perenially disappointing team in a weak sec
    Marshall- have yet to show they can run with the big boys
    AM- c'mon, their offense is worse than the Texans. It's too bad that the Longhorns will beat A&M too, but it will be later in the year after the ags may have lost a few more games, and the horns won't get nearly the recognition the hokies got earlier in the year for doing essentially the same thing.

Sure, those aren't *great* teams, but they are decent/good teams. They are certainly better than Tulsa, North Texas, South Florida, Tulane, Houston, and North Carolina. It's still early, but just based on this year's performance <I>so far</I>, I think VaTech has proven more than UT or OU.

13. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

WHat about Nebraska?

MUHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAA~~

14. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

How about UF or KSU at 5? KSU beat a stout USC team. ALso, I think ISU could be undefeated right now if there were instant replay. UT needs to get in sync if they want to beat the big boys, imo. So much talent, and I think they're close, but they looked lazy against TU. Still won 49-0 though.

UT-Miami would be a track meet. The teams are almost as fast as the lower-tiered nfl teams.

15. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

So let it be written; so let it be done.

16. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

UF has no business being in the Top 10, much less Top 5. Assraped at home by Miami, eeked out wins against powerhouses like Ohio U (it was close for 3+ quarters IIRC), and Kentucky. Granted, they beat Tenn at Tenn, but Rutgers was in the game against Tenn last Sat.

After Miami, the 2nd tier consists of VT, UT, and OU. The 3rd tier is quite a steep drop from the 2nd. KSU, ISU, USC, Florida, Tenn, and 5 other teams can be considered in this tier.

I would be very shocked if the national title game didn't consist of the OU-UT winner vs. Miami-VT winner.

Those 2 games are essentially the semifinals for the NC title.

17. mav3434

mav3434 Member

Sure they're better teams, but Texas and OU beat their lesser opponents by more, so its a wash.

Doing rankings early in the season should be discouraged anyway, IMO. It gives high ranked teams an unfair advantage by giving them the inertia to stay high, and unranked teams a proportionate disadvantage.

It causes other problems too. PSU would get "quality win" points in the BCS for beating Nebraska when they were overrated. But if Texas or Oklahoma plays and beats a 6-4 unranked husker team they get no boost at all in the BCS

But there is no reason why they shouldn't; beating them in September shouldn't count differently from beating them in
    November. Just another silly quirk in the system that has been over-tweaked.

18. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

IIRC, PSU would NOT get any points right now. The QW rating is always updated concurrent to the BCS rankings.

I agree that the AP and CNN/USA Today polls should not be released until maybe a week or so before the official BCS rankings come out.

However, they have nothing to do with the quality win rating, in the scenario you mentioned.

19. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Texas has to play NU at Lincoln. NOt a gimme, but even with the crowd, can NU keep up with Texas? I think this is one of the least talented Husker teams in my memory. Seems to be lacking in depth and team speed.

20. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I think KSU will be a harder test for UT.