1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Case for Derrick Williams at #1

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Coherent, May 20, 2011.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Signed,

Larry Bird
    Carmelo Anthony
    Mark Aguirre
    Adrian Dantley
    Glenn Robinson
    Kiki Vandeweghe
    et al.

2. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

as long as Derrick Williams has more handles than Bud im ok with aquiring him.

3. Rockets_4_life

There's definitely ways to be an affective 3 with out ball handling ability, I mean just look at Shawn Marion. But if Derrick Williams wants to truly reach his full potential, he will need to develop that part of his game.

4. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Not going to take a side or anything (since I don't feel particularly well-informed about Derrick Williams' game and upside to have my own opinion yet), but just thought this list needed some adjusting.

That list seems a little ... older. I don't even think Melo belongs on the list because from the few 2003 scouting reports I was able to find, they had him pegged as a SF first (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/2003/draft/news/2003/05/20/mandel_draft/ : "He runs the floor like a gazelle, equally capable of spotting up over a defender or slicing to the hoop. He's an excellent rebounder and solid ball handler, and when defenses collapse on him, he has the court sense and passing ability to find the open man."). I could be mistaken, but I don't think Melo was ever thought of as a tweener. He did play on the team with a classic tweener in Hakim Warrick though.

5. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I think he will be an average player, kind of like Beasley.

6. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

DraftExpress has his potential as Michael Beasley w/ perfect intangibles.. Beasley is a VERY good offensive presence.. If this is true at all about Williams I'd draft him without hesitation.. I have no doubt the rockets will either work him out or observe one of his workouts to determine his ability to play sf.. if he shows any sort of real ball-handling skills I dont see any reason why they wouldnt make the #2 pick a top priority..

7. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ljxtieE_48E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not bad... if this guy has handles like this and can light it up like he does the prospect of getting him is very exciting..

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Rich man's Carl Landry.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Williams is basically LaPhonso Ellis.... I will pass....

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I like to think of it as Irving / Williams = Paul / Marvin Williams.

Of course the one stat that argues against this is the fact that Derrick Williams shot a maddening 57% from the 3 this year (42 of 74 so not too small a sample size either).

I do think that his game against Duke has elevated his stock above where it should be though, and that Kanter is going to be the better player.