1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MVP Watch 2k15: James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 23, 2015.

1. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

The commentator was guessing what it could mean and said something about on an island. I think it actually means hes cooking.

2. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

****, I'm worried that kick is going to mar what Harden has done. It's all the media is talking about. Without the media continuing to support Harden I don't think it will get done. Honestly, this season I'd like to see Harden get MVP as much as I'd like to see us get a championship. What he's done has been amazing and we would not be even close to where we are without him. He deserves it.

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Now now, that sounds almost like you are giving up on the playoffs. :p

4. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Yeah I don't know where he got his info from, but it's definitely a reference to "somethings cooking" or stirring the pot. I read it somewhere before and they did a quick write up a well here.

I believe it's talked about in the SI issue if I am not mistaken.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/3/1/8130347/james-hardens-new-celebration-is-stirring-the-pot

5. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Among the black culture it's referred to as mixing someone up..

6. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

That doesn't make any sense. "Mixing someone up" is not an African American thing and wouldn't make sense in this context. It means mistaking someone for another. "Oh, I mistook you for someone who could defend me when I decided to take you" would be a humbling statement. It just means "I'm cooking this fool" (sometimes with two hands).

7. Jmcballer88

Mixing someone and mistaking someone are two different things. Mixing as in stirring. Mixing someone up and stirring someone up same reference. Putting them in a blender. The only reason I brought it up was because my black friend always tells me James Harden just mixed somebody....anyways thought id try to give my take.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

'my black friend' tee hee

sorry i couldnt resist.

9. Jmcballer88

Lol well he is

10. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

That commentator said Harden TOLD him that's what it mean and how do people not get it? He means he has his opponent on an island and beating him straight up. The stirring the pot sign is a shark circling the island is what I guess lol :grin:

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...mes-russell-westbrook-anthony-davis/24278967/

How James Harden clawed to front of NBA MVP race

James Harden grabbed the NBA MVP on Sunday. Well, he grabbed four-time NBA MVP LeBron James, locking elbows with the Cleveland Cavaliers forward on a drive to the basket and refusing to let go while the referees awkwardly watched.

The play embodied this season for Harden, the Houston Rockets guard who has pushed, prodded and kicked his way to the front of the 2014-15 NBA MVP race. He took the lead for the first time in USA TODAY Sports' weekly poll, edging Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry 50-49 in points.

That one-point margin at the top doesn't begin to explain this tense race. Four players — Harden, Curry, James and New Orleans Pelicans forward Anthony Davis — received first-place votes, while Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook was ahead of at least one of those players on nine of the 10 ballots. (Ten NBA journalists pick their top five, with points distributed on a 7-5-3-2-1 basis.)

This five-man race is the best we've had in at least nine seasons, since the 2005-06 scrum that ended with Steve Nash's second Maurice Podoloff Trophy and a flurry of consternation. And with six weeks left in the season, each of these candidates has the opportunity to make the award theirs.

But mostly, it's Harden vs. Curry. And choosing, for better or worse, seems to require a stance on basketball morals.

Harden is a professional jaywalker. He declared himself the best basketball player in the world before this season, and he has spent the year perfecting his acerbic style. The 6-5, 225-pound shooting guard flings himself into the lane, daring opponents to block his flailing shots without fouling him in the process. When he gets a clean look, he seems surprised. Flopping and offensive fouls are against the rules, but Harden knows their penalties and has accepted the risk of punishment. That bore out Monday, when he was suspended one game by the NBA for kicking James in the groin while on the ground.

His game is a shortcut, then, but it's usually in the best of ways. Harden represents a culmination of trends in basketball analytics. Nearly 70% of his field goal attempts are either at the basket or behind the three-point arc, the kinds of high-yield shots advocated by Rockets general manager Daryl Morey. The result: An All-Star caliber talent has grown into an MVP front-runner.

He had his moment Sunday. He stood toe-to-toe with the best player in the world (yes, that's still James), came out on top and even had the Rockets' Twitter feed dub him "King James," a direct shot fired at the Cavaliers star.

But Curry's moments came against Harden. They came in a 4-0 sweep by the Warriors, particularly in the two games in Houston. Curry outscored Harden 61-34 at the Toyota Center this season, two comfortable victories over an elite opponent. Warriors GM Bob Myers pointed to that head-to-head matchup, as well as the Warriors' NBA-best record (46-11, six games up on the 41-18 Rockets), as the driving factors in Curry's MVP candidacy in a panel at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference this past weekend.

Morey was there, too, on the same panel. He pointed to Harden's lack of support in advocating for his star. That's the narrative at work, though, and both of these guys have the story lines to back their statistics. That's why Westbrook (too many games missed) and Davis (a mix of injuries and a lack of consistent team success) probably won't get the support their statistical résumés might otherwise command. James' case is hurt by a weak start to the season, in which the newly loaded Cavs seemed set to implode.

Curry is the best player on the best team, and the Warriors need him more than anyone might want to admit. He missed his first game of the season Feb. 22, and the Warriors lost to the Indiana Pacers. His on/off splits are extreme: Golden State is 16.8 points per 100 possessions better than its opponents when he is on the court. He leads the NBA in three-pointers and steals along with several advanced metrics, such as Basketball-Reference's win shares per 48 minutes and adjusted plus-minus.

But Harden is keeping the Rockets afloat. Dwight Howard has missed nearly half of the season with injuries, and the Rockets are a flat-out bad team when Harden is off the court (4.5 points per 100 possessions worse than their opponents). He went from being a laughingstock for his defense to being aggressive and convincing on that end for the first time in years. He leads the NBA in points and minutes played, perhaps the most underused statistic in MVP discussions. And the advanced stats like him as much as Curry, as he leads in Basketball-Reference's total win shares and ESPN's Real Plus-Minus.

Curry is the stylist. He's guy with the Everyman build and personality and the breathtaking handles and shot. He moves fluidly, and he draws fouls at half the rate of Harden while scoring at a more efficient rate anyway.

Harden is the grinder. His beard is everything Curry's boyishness is not. His dribbling is built to frustrate opponents as much as get past them. His critics say his game is imbued in ugliness, such as that kick to James. But the NBA MVP isn't about being liked.

Harden told us he was the best basketball player in the world, then went out and earned his spot — on top of the MVP leaderboard.

12. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

So, because your "black friend" said that, it somehow means that it is black culture. Get out of here.

13. Himdemm

Himdemm Member

You're a dumb ass

14. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

No, they all do it and it means they are cooking. If you watch the highlight video you also see Howard pretending to stir a massive pot after Harden scored.

15. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

I think KlutchQT posted a vine showing Howard doing the cooking celebration too.

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

LOL wut? Stop.

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

LOL , is that you Texxx?

Sorry if I missed the sarcasm :p

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Don't know if it means much, but coaches are starting to give Harden MVP consideration:

Dwane Casey when asked about the upcoming game vs the Cavs
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>&quot;They've got the best player in the league. I don't think that can be disputed... (but) Houston might.</p>&mdash; Ryan Wolstat (@WolstatSun) <a href="https://twitter.com/WolstatSun/status/573254984025964544">March 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. HookemHorns1250

Get 'em Broussard!

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

No MVP if we don't finish 2nd and Harden doesn't get the scoring title.

Westbrook will run away with the scoring title and I can't see us reaching Memphis. This week pretty much screwed us out of both.