1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MVP Shouldn’t Even be a Discussion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Mar 1, 2019.

1. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

If Giannis didn't have the next 3 best scorers, and 2 best defenders, on his team for 15+ games this season, what would their record be? Does anyone believe that Giannis could put the team on his shoulders the way Harden has single handedly carry a team for 15 games? No one who doesn't wear a Bucks jersey or get paid by the Bucks.

I agree with the comparison between Giannis and Steph. He's a great player no doubt. But how much more valuable is Harden that he did it without Paul, Capella, or Gordon for 15 games. And without Paul, the second best player, for 10 more.

No contest. Anyone who is paying attention to what Harden has had to do to get us where we are, in a superior conference, has to pick Harden. EVEN if we end up the 3rd seed.

That said, if it motivates Harden to deconstruct the competition the way Hakeem did the year Robinson won it, then I say good. Harden is the greatest on the planet right now and we are a scary bunch to contend with. Bring it.

2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Let's talk about minutes :D
    Giannis total: 2047
    James total: 2348
    Difference = 301 minutes = 9.1 games @ 33.0 mpg

James has played the equivalent of nine games more than Giannis.

D-rock likes this.
  3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Let’s just hope Rockets catch the Warriors for the 1 seed and it really should not be a discussion.

Zoplicone likes this.
  4. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Milwaukee, led by Giannis, has the best record in the league and a ridiculous point differential. They’ve definitely been the best team this year. Yes it’s the easier conference but that doesn’t put an asterisk next to their record.

Yeah they’ve had decent luck with health and Giannis has some good pieces around him but let’s not pretend Middleton is an All-NBA player.

If I had a vote, I’m taking Harden. But for those saying there is no discussion or if Giannis wins it’ll be complete BS are being ridiculous homers.

justtxyank, ElDobleK and GotGame15 like this.
  5. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Hopefully Toronto catches Milwaukee and the Rockets destroy Milwaukee in their next match up.

D-rock likes this.
  6. jowman

jowman Member

Toronto’s been pretty sorry for a team so “stacked”. Don’t want to hear anyone put Leonard on hardens level again. Early in his career and already taking games off.

For the rockets let’s worry about keeping that third seed first before we kill ourselves to overtake the warriors. Rockets got a tough schedule down the stretch while blazers have a complete cakewalk the rest of the way after they beat the clippers tonight.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Lebron with 8 straight finals appearances in the East!

Moves to the West and doesn’t make the playoffs. First seed in the East is overrated. Period.

smp likes this.
  8. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Yeah agree on Toronto lol.

We actually have the 7th easiest schedule I believe?

9. Handles

Handles Member

Been telling my coworkers all year but they don't want to hear it. I can't wait to move back to Houston.

I don't even care about this award anymore. Now that Harden got his MVP last year I'm looking for championships now. Any more MVPs is just a bonus.

D-rock likes this.
  10. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Yeah, well...the NBA robbed us of that possibility when they created their sh*tty awards show. :confused:

ElPigto likes this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It adds a layer of context to it though. Not docking per se. And there is relevance as far as MVP voting goes *IF* one is taking into account *team success* as a factor baked into the award.

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

LOL LeBron "limited minutes" = Giannis MVP mode
    33 minutes
    Don't hurt yourself, Giannis!

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I agree with you. Steph and Giannis are top tier players, but Harden is workhorse. He is a one man wrecking crew. A motor, an engine for a team. Like prime Lebron. It's a different category, an MVP category.

But MVP should be renamed to "the player whose season people liked the most". It's been like that for a long time and I just accept that. I don't really put much stock in individual awards, like most NBA fans do.

Chamillionaire and Invisible Fan like this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

#1 in Points? #1 or #2 in Steals? #7 in Assists? #1 in Deflects?
    . . . .. . .. kind of looks like Harden is a 2 way player . . . . .

Rocket River

Chamillionaire likes this.
  15. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

Harden is definitely an underrated defender. Yeah, he doesn't move all over the place at full speed.... but he makes up for it with his steals, blocks, low post defense and his switch defense.

Harden has been a good defender for the past 2 or 3 seasons.

D-rock likes this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Giannis is a worthy MVP candidate. I'd vote for Harden, but there's no slight if he loses out to Giannis this year. Personally I wouldn't vote for Giannis because I don't think the Bucks are wrecking people because of HIS greatness.

Vivi likes this.
  17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Harden is leaps and bounds better statistically
    Hell according to some stats he is a better low post defender

Rocket River

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He's definitely been the better player, but remember that we've stressed on this board "stats" shouldn't be the end all be all decider for an MVP?

Like I said, I'd vote for Harden, but it's not an insult if Giannis wins.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

As I have stated many, many times. Coach Bud is the *catalyst* to the Bucks success.

Goldsberry NAILS it.

Mike Budenholzer's fingerprints are all over the Milwaukee Bucks' transformation into an NBA title contender. The team's turnaround is the result of a series of deliberate improvements in three key areas: 3-point shooting, defensive efficiency and rebounding.

The Bucks haven't just gotten better, they are suddenly a championship contender. This is the most impactful coaching change since Steve Kerr replaced Mark Jackson with the Golden State Warriors in 2014.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Nate Mc will be #2

Rocket River