1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MVP Discussion thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NL Rocket, Jan 10, 2015.

1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Didn't see one and since it's not only about our boy Harden, I figured maybe good to have a thread to talk about it and keep updates on MVP talk on websites / shows etc.

In the latest NBA.com MVP ladder: http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/sekou_smith/01/09/week-10-kia-race-to-the-mvp-jeff-teague-taking-atlanta-hawks-to-new-heights/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt6c
    1) Curry
    2) Gasol
    3) Harden
    4) Wall
    5) Davis
    6) Lilliard
    7) Teague
    8) Butler
    9) Lowry
    10) Lebron

So how you guys feel currently about this list, who should be in the conversation, anyone clear MVP right now or a few that deserve it, does record matter much, does it matter if a guy has to carry a team every night or if a team is winning more due to team concept etc.

Personally, I haven't seen enough of Gasol to say he deserves to be at #2. I have watched highlights of Curry and they say he's making everybody go, playing better defense, better playmaker and scoring though does not need to carry the team. Based on their record I would say he's definitely worthy of being in top 2/3 convo.

With Harden I find it difficult, because he's the leading scorer, is playing better defense than before, carries us on a lot of nights and has us in the mix to be in top 4 at the end of the year. However, while he is clearly very important to this team and makes everything happen, our team is not that great. Defense is slipping, not just him, and we are struggling heavily on offense. Is he worthy of being in top 3 convo, clearly yes, but while I thought earlier he was clear MVP, not so sure now.

I get Wall being in the convo and rising, he's maturing and making that team go. While the Pelicans did slip a bit, I get Davis being in the convo as well but I feel record matters and while he should be seen as top 3 player overall in the league, MVP is a different matter imo. Having said that, record should not matter so much to all of a sudden have Teague at #7 with Lowry #9 for instance. Yes, the Raptors have dropped the last couple of games but Lowry carried them and they did great on both ends without Derozan. His performance in December was phenomenal to say the least. He's Curry of the East imo.

I find it difficult to asses a guy like Jimmy Butler who is clearly the Bulls best two-way player, but he has a supporting cast of Gasol, Noah, Rose, Mirotic and some very good shooters. Not taking anything away from him, but the team is so stacked, they should be the best in the East.

Lilliard
    is going nuts lately and they are looking like almost contenders, so gotta give the guy credit. Clearly should be in top 5, which for me as of right now would be:

1) Curry
    2) Lowry
    3) Harden
    4) Wall
    5) Lilliard

2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Personally, I don't think anyone in the East should be allowed in the conversation unless they're doing something unheard of. (although I do love Lowry and think he's the second best (maybe equal) PG in the league this year)

Curry is the #1 in people's eyes and will probably win it based upon the Warriors' record which will no doubt be a fair few games better than the Rockets' this year.

Harden is second.

Gasol... eh. I mean I get it, I understand why people say him - but I do not agree with it.

Davis will (at least should) fall by the wayside because the Pels more than likely wont be in the top 8 in the West.

EDIT: I feel like I should emphasise that I think 100% that Harden is the MVP

#2 Downtown Sniper, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

There really is no discussion at this point. For now the MVP is James Harden.

4. baubo

baubo Member

If Harden had Curry's reputation, this wouldn't even be a discussion. The only reason Harden's not definitively #1 is because media can't just go from disparaging him to applauding him in just a season.

Personally, I actually want Curry to win it. Can you imagine another Hakeem/Robinson matchup where Harden destroys Curry in the playoffs after Curry gets his trophy? Sweetest thing in the world.

5. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

The media will push Curry all year long with the best player best team narrative. It's probably his to lose as long as he doesn't miss any significant amount of time.

Gasol I'm not even sure how his case can be made. He's about equally as important as Conley and Randolph is to that team.

The 2 main candidates should be James Harden and John Wall. Take either of those guys off their teams and I'm not sure how they win any games.