1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

muslim teen detained for talking about eco-terrorism in French Class

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Teen talked about eco-terrorism in French class, and Teacher got concerned.

They detained him and asked him about it:

http://www.theguardian.com/educatio...l-about-isis-after-discussion-on-eco-activism

Yeah, because you know, talking about how some radical environmentalists use nails to damage chainsaws must be a reference to his bomb-chainsaws he is planning on making.

thank goodness he didn't bring in the guts to an alarm clock.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What exactly did the boy say about these eco groups? Did he say he agrees with them or just mentioned their existence?

3. TheresTheDagger

OUTRAGE OF THE DAY WINNER!

4. malakas

malakas Member

so the word terrorism has become taboo. Great.
    How are the French schools now going to teach history? If their own post revolution has become taboo?

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yes, this is stupid. But before people get upset about how racist America is right now, it needs to be pointed out that this happened in London.

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

London and other parts of Europe are known to be more racist that Merica

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The French has hated Muslims for a while
    . . . it is no surprise
    See their ridiculous Burka Laws

Rocket River
    which America will soon duplicate with its ridiculous 'Sagging' laws . . . .

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

^
    Again, this happened in London.

9. malakas

malakas Member

You dont' know anything if you believe the law is because of muslim hatred. They also prohibit christians from wearing cross or having religious symbols.
    It is because the French have different culture and believe your identity as French should go above everything else even religion and since religious symbols divide they should take them out of the classes. I don't know how to explain it better. The state is above every religious law.

10. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

It is ridiculous to require someone to take off a face mask when TAKING A PHOTO FOR AN ID??

The ridiculous thing was thinking that you could take a photo for an ID with a burka on. The purpose of having photo ID is so you can IDENTIFY someone.

1 person likes this.
  11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think RR is referring to the ban on wearing a burqa in public.

Reminds me of an incident in middle school when I was playing with logo-type designs. I put one at the bottom of some homework I did, and the teacher (who was French, because this was a French school, and maybe Jewish idk), kept me after and asked why I'd put a swastika on the homework. I see now why she'd have thought it looked like a swastika (though very badly rendered in that regard). She chewed me out, ripped the paper in half and gave me a zero on the assignment. But, I didn't get interrogated by cops nor sent to any re-education camps. There's probably no lesson there. Except maybe that people who are put in positions of authority and responsibility over others sometimes misunderstand the intentions of others and get sideways with them. I once had a cop pull me over for going the wrong way down a one-way street. I did it completely oblivious to the fact it was a one-way street, but we quickly got to a standoff where he wanted me to admit I did it on purpose or else he'd give me a ticket for it. It was ridiculous. But, after arguing a bit, I 'admitted' to doing it on purpose which was a complete lie, and he let me go without a ticket. I'm probably doing this to my kids all the time. "Which one of you broke this thing? It was you wasn't it!?" I only have 25% chance of being right.

12. malakas

malakas Member

Well the niqab isn't ordered by the Quaran it's only a tradition. So it doesn't violate any religious rights.
    Does it violate freedom of expression? Yes it does. But this is a state and people have to conform with the laws. Maybe my freedom of expression is to go naked on the street but I will be arrested.

I love your example. It's typical, a grown up trying to impose his prejudge on a child. The same exactly with the clock. Kids are not naive, they are just INNOCENT and it doesn't cross their minds all the grown ups agendas, ideologies.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't really want to debate the merits of the French clothing bans. I was just trying to elucidate because Baba was jumping to the wrong conclusion about what RR was referring to.

(But, as it happens, I am half-French and have a good familiarity with their stance on religious clothing. I'd say you're completely right that the ban isn't specifically anti-Muslim. Though I'd also say there is a strong right-wing xenophobic vein that is only too happy to lend their support to this official secularism attitude because it conveniently makes it hard for Muslims. And besides that, I still find the French bans on religious symbols, whether burqas, hijabs, crosses, yarmulkes, or whatever else to be totally stupid, totalitarian, anti-democratic, and any other bad thing I can think to say about it. It embarrasses me as a Frenchman.)

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

As it is now, the words "terrorism" or "terrorist" in France is akin to Godwin's law in Germany.

He's only a kid, but if he were an adult, I'd question how ****ing dip**** r****ded he could be.

15. malakas

malakas Member

I don't know if you should be ashamed. It just the culture. I am not a historian but I guess it stems from France's past and the immigrants who came over from the colonies for centuries ago. They needed to keep an identity. That is French is over christian or muslim.
    In a way it was a survival mechanism to maintain a national identity.
    It is outdated now but it is embedded in society.

16. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I know that RR was referring to more than just what I posted about. My point was that not all of France's religious positions are bad. Some of the ideas are great and I applaud the French for standing their ground.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

And the point of that is?

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The multiple posts mentioning French culture instead of conjugation.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Oh I see. People are mistaking French class for France.

I love how people seem to dismiss this because they argue Europeans are more Racist than Americans.

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

What is there really to discuss, though? It's an overreaction by the teacher and staff because they're too idiotic to understand context, coming off as looking like they're ignorant race profilers.