1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Muslim soccer fans boo during minute of silence for Paris. Chant "Allahu Akbar"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bmd, Nov 17, 2015.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Yeah, I know what he's doing. Deflect deflect deflect.

Because there is no way anyone can justify it.

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I actually deplore those Turkish fans booing during the moment of silence, but I was just remarking on the logical fallacy where you equate possibly a couple hundred people booing to dooming an entire religion and country as being extremist. I don't believe all these Europeans are racist despite a few of them throwing bananas. Same with the Turks. Just because a couple hundred of them amongst tens of thousands fans do this doesn't mean it is representative of the entire country or religion.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They need to undergo a reformation that Christianity did centuries ago.

4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah... about that slavery thing....

One would expect religions to moderate overtime. However, Islam contains very powerful and attractive memes that address the colonial style relationships the Middle East has had with the west. On top of that, many countries are still fractured between the two major strains (thing Protestant versus Cathololic wars of Europe).

I've read modern Islam described as Christianty in the Middle Ages, in terms of its historical evolution. There were what we would call moderate Christians back then, but they weren't a large percentage. And even the most moderate Muslim can look extreme in Christian eyes.

My point is that religions are powerful ideological tools and Islam is serving the needs of some particular people with deep grievances. I don't know if the grievances come before the religion or if the people themselves are serving the religion (Daniel Dennet), but we gotta at least recognize that these extremists have killed far more Muslims than Christians. They are a threat to everyone.

1 person likes this.
  5. bmd

bmd Member

You can replace "Muslim" with "White", but your point falls flat considering those two things are not even close to the same.

70% of Muslims support Sharia Law. 70% of White people do not support racism.

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They're not isolated, but the actions of a few are not generalizable to a billion people. But they are generalizable to the Islamists and people who actually support it.

Just like the actions of the Charleston shooter are not reflective of Whites, Males, Conservatives, or any other group he affiliated with. Or any of other recent 'isolated' mass shootings.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Do you not think it's representative?

8. JeffB

Supporting Member

Yeah. This.

9. bmd

bmd Member

They believe it is in their religion to oppress women. Slavery was the way of the entire world... not just the U.S. It wasn't a religion thing. And there was a bloody war that was fought to end slavery.

10. bmd

bmd Member

The difference is that being Muslim means believing in a set of beliefs.

The Charleston shooter does not represent White people or Males or whatever because people have all different beliefs.

Because Muslims believe in the same religion, they are linked by their beliefs. A White person from Texas and a White person from Russia have no real link other than their skin color. They may believe completely different things. They could be opposites. But a Catholic from Texas and a Catholic from Italy share a common belief system through their religion.

11. JeffB

Supporting Member

Incorrect. Christianity was used to justify enslavement. AND it was religious extremists (Quakers) who deeply opposed slavery. And, in the end, Christians abolished it. I don't claim slavery originated in the bible but that the bible was used to support it. I don't claim oppressing women originated in the Koran but that clearly there are Muslims claiming it does.

Too much historical work has been written on Christianity and slavery. From Berlin to Litwack, you will find historians who have documented this fact using the actual sermons, pamphlets, and documents produced by parsons and political leaders. Many Headed Hydra is a good read.

The Crusades were a brutal enterprise, one we don't imagine modern Christians embarking on. But that was so, so long ago.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The people booing/whistling at that soccer match was disgusting. And no you can't try to explain it away by the single idiot in Green Bay who said something - it appeared thousands were participating in this in the Turkey stadium. Huge difference than one random idiot.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Eh, it actually was a religion thing.

That in this free government *all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights* [emphasis in the original]; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holdiing states.

http://www.ucs.louisiana.edu/~ras2777/amgov/secession.html

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This bro.

People trying to use the equivalency argument and dredging up examples from hundreds of years ago simply falls flat.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Just correctng the lies. Revisionist history is shameful behavior.

16. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

To add, one of the few things I remember from Lat Amer History, is that the reason (one at least) Latin America imported a ton of African slaves as opposed to using the native populations was that the Natives of the America's had not been introduced to Christianity. Where as the Africans had but rejected it.

17. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I clicked on this post, wondering why I had this guy on my ignore list. Now I know why. I wish there were a way to categorize your ignore list so that you'd know exactly why you blocked a person. "Bigoted *******" would work in this case.

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

To an outsider looking in, all Abrahamic (Judaism, Christian, Muslim) Religions are ****ing scary.....

19. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Its not necessarily the case that Allah Akbar is a sign of disrespect, rather could be a sign of support given how the its used by Muslims. Most Non-Muslims are not familiar with the usage of this phrase other than when terrorist carry out disgusting acts of violence. Can see why the negative association exists. The booing on the other hand is quite obviously a lowlife scum reaction, but it was drowned out by the Allah Akbar chant. Could be that they are all pathetic scum, but I'd like to think that's not what happened. This terrorist group wants to see divisions grow among Muslims and Non-Muslims, they seem to have succeeded among many, sad to see.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yeah pretty much. This is kind of undeniable.