1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MUSIC]What's So Great About Kayne West?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Jan 21, 2011.

?

What Do You Think About Kayne West?

1. He is magnificent - one of my favorite artists

63 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. He is okay but overhyped

49 vote(s)
    33.6%
  3. He sucks and deserves to no longer be performing music

20 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. I do not know enough about him to pick between options 1 through options 3

14 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I asked this the other day in the coachella thread - what is so great about Kayne West?

1) Isn't he a hip-hop artist?
    2) If the answer to 1 is yes, then why he is always seemed to be grouped with indie artists and performing at festivals like coachella, acl, and bonnaroo?

#2 troubles me more than #1 - you don't see Jay-Z or Eminem or anybody else like that hanging out with the likes of Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, Deerhunter, Beach House, or any other up and coming indie group. Is Kayne actually considered by some people to be an indie artist?

Is this guy like DJ Shadow and uses samples in an innovative way? Seriously, someone that thinks this guy is the cat's meow is going to have to explain to me what is so great about him.

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Listen to some of these tracks that he sampled from, and you'll understand.

#2 s land balla, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  3. DreamRoxCoogFan

I don't really know what option to pick- he is a really good artist and I don't care about all the chaos he creates on the side. He makes good music and the rest is irrelevant.

4. ketchupNmustard

He makes quality beats, I give him that. He is not as original as some think, but he's done a good job dooping the masses. I liked his first cd alot, bit at that time my musical taste was immature. I don't care about Kanye's music, I actually laugh at those who do, but I'm just a hip hop snob.

What is so good about Kanye? What a valid question.

5. s land balla

Your OP sounds incredibly pretentious by the way.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Jay Z is a huge Grizzly Bear fan and of indie-rock in general, and there are many videos out there of him and Beyonce rocking out to live Grizzly Bear shows. Jay-Z also headlined Coachella last year on Friday.

7. s land balla

Jay-Z also headlined Glastonbury last year.

8. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Kanye is awesome. And I'm picky about music. Just LISTEN to it. It's quality stuff!

They're grouped with indie artists partly I assume because he used the Bon Iver song "lost in the woods" on his new album.

9. s land balla

Listen for the sample throughout:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e8ejqE3ktFU" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Listen for the sample at 2:06 and 3:52:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wMUmfuMpMcg" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

10. Manny Ramirez

Well sorry you feel that way because that was not the intent. I was geniunely asking the question because I honestly don't know. I probably have let his side stuff affect my opinion about him (he seems like a trainwreck personally with all the drama), but I will tell you what is pretentious - a poster on the BBS that has a space after just ONE letter in their user name. :p

11. Manny Ramirez

Yea, I had read that about him. I guess what I should have said is that I wouldn't have fit his music along side someone like Grizzly Bear.

Maybe I am an indie snob, maybe I am a hip-hop hater, and maybe I am *pretentious* like s land balla is saying - who knows? I just know that rap/hiphop music and indie music is a weird combination. It is like eating a banana and ham sandwich.

12. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Kanye West is a musical genius, might not be the best MC, but he's a GREAT producer. Not that my taste in music matters but I listen to a variety of music (Beatles, GnR, Rolling Stones, Led Zep, Oasis, Marvin Gaye, Buddy Gy, Eric Clapton, The Clash, Notorious BIG, OutKast, Justice, Daft Punk) and the consistency of quality music this guy makes through his albums is on par with any in my humble opinion. It is unfortunate that his personal antics get in the way of people's opinion about this guy.

Give his music a try with an open mind and you will hear his talent. It's not that hard, you either like what you hear or you don't.

13. s land balla

I never thought hip hop and "indie" rock was a weird combination. Kanye is definitely mainstream, but I'd say most of the indie hip hop artists these days would list Kanye West as a musical influence. Then again, maybe I'm biased since I live in Chicago.

14. Apps

Apps Member

I would hesitate to call anyone coming out of hip hop a "musical genius"... barring the likes of Eric B. and Rakim and the other innovative forerunners, of course. I certainly do not have that kind of respect for Kanye or Jay-Z or anyone else out now, really.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So why would Rakim be a musical genius and not Kanye?

16. s land balla

It's almost fashionable for hip hop enthusiasts to call Eric B, Rakim, KRS-One, etc. "geniuses". They were good, but a big part of the "genius" label is nostalgic.

Kanye has pushed the envelope of hip hop music more than any other artist.

17. s land balla

Turn off the radio.

18. mosessmalone

mosessmalone Member

when ppl say musical genius I think of mozart and beethoven etc. and there is noooo way that rakim or kanye or anyone is even close to their level of genius

19. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

IMO, Kanye is the best producer at taking a sample and completely making it his own song.

I don't really care for him as an MC but his production is amazing and the main reason I even bother listening to Lil Wayne or Jay-Z

20. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Because indie people like his music enough to have him around. Pitchfork gave his newest album a 10 and had Late Registration in the top 20 albums of the 2000s (BTW I'm not saying Pitchfork's reviews are accurate or represent indie music opinion, its just the best example I could come up with)

Also I'm not sure if you noticed but Jay-Z headlined both Bonnaroo and Coachella last year...he's pretty respected in the indie community too and plays all those festivals too. Kanye isn't the only one.

And I think his stuff IS good. He's an amazing producer (Before he made his first album, there were a ton of artists wanting him to produce their music. He produced Jay-Z's first top 10 single for example back in 2000) and I like his lyrics too. Late Registration and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy are amazing albums, Graduation is a pretty good album, and College Dropout is a fantastic album (808s not so much but still).

Dude has good music. I got some of my friends who've always disliked hip-hop to listen to his new album, and now they are in love with it and can't stop listening. You may not see it but the general opinion is that hes a fantastic artist.