1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[music video] The guy who inspired Eminem's "Fast Lane" video just did mine **proud**

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TdashDUB, Mar 11, 2012.

1. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

UK Animator, Gavin Howell animated a kinetic typography video for an Eminem freestyle that landed on Paul Rosenberg's (Em's manager) radar which then prompted the Fast Lane video and lead Gavin to be commissioned by Def Jam to create a few more music videos..
    He then held a world wide contest where winner gets exclusive music video tailor made by Gav and as a huge fan of his, I'm privileged to share with you my winning music video :D

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MMGUVFsCo8A?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MMGUVFsCo8A?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMGUVFsCo8A

feedback appreciated as always!

1 person likes this.
  2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I'm gathering from this epileptic run-on that the song is yours, but the video isn't. Both are superior to the palsied, homo-erotic Texas State presentation from a while back, so congrats.

Only issue would be to not type out some of the more hot-button lyrics like "pedophile," might put a cramp on the general airplay.

3. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Not my style, at all. Don't like the name, the beat, the lyrics, or the wordy video animation. I'm not sure if you are trying to be Asher Roth or Uncle Kracker but I'm not feeling it. If you have a strong vision though, you don't need me to validate it. I don't think it would ever appeal to me, so I'm obviously not someone who's opinion you should really worry about.

I'm sorry for being so negative. Actually, I'm not. Travis posts his sh!tty songs on here all the time and asks for feedback and it's a particularly rainy Sunday.

You clearly have work ethic going for you, but making a living as a performer takes a whole lot of talent and twice as much luck. Hope you find your niche. No. You have your niche. I hope you find a way to stand out from the other ten thousand Eminem's in line behind you in San Marcos.

4. ashiin

ashiin Member

I thought it was cool, the ketchup mustard rhyme was hilarious

5. Salvy

Salvy Member

I dont like it either sorry, there is nothing in it that will sway attention from what all the artists today are doing. The lyrics are trying way too hard to be orginal and instead come off forced. I take it you want to impress not with you voice or rap "style" but with your creative mind in that your lyrics stand out from everyone else because daaaang you say things different and things others dont say. <<< No, not working for ya.

Also you conduct yourself as if you were this badass in hip hop but in reality you are in the same level as many many many others out there. So dont boast about sounding good untill others say you be sounding good. By others I dont mean friends and family.

The music video was a green screen/photoshop/after effects/final cut and a dslr. Not impressed because with all that, you could have done soooo much more and made it look soo much better.

In conclusion, not trying to diss or insult your work. Its not easy to write, produce, promote music as an up and coming artist. But what you have achieved in that music video very few ever even come close. Its a completed project and that deserves props. Only thing I could say is, keep doing wht you love to do. In 5 years if you are still doing it, when you look back to 2012 you will prob face palm at how bad it is compared to now......

6. jae713

jae713 Member

I liked it. Good work.

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Wow I'm utterly shocked at the amount of haterade being passed around in this thread. The bottom line is this, not one person who has replied to you can do better. Personally as an art major, and someone who generally has a distaste for current pop-rap (it's all the same ish) -- I liked your song.

Someone above has a point; there's not much from your song that will stand out compared to what anyone else is doing. You need something else; an image or character to portray. That's just the sad truth.

With all that said, congratulations on getting selected! I really enjoyed the video, and I thought it was very cool one of our very own would get selected for something like this. Don't let anyone sway you, continue doing your thing -- you never know where it'll take you.

8. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Damn, you guys are rough. He did ask for feedback, I guess. Still, take it easy on a fellow CF brother.
    Anyway, I liked it. Thanks for posting.

9. Salvy

Salvy Member

Actually, there is a much greater number of talent on this board then people think. I am personally not hating one bit but I rather be honest for the OP's good and future. I wouldnt have said anything if I was not in music/film production myself.

Once again, I dont mean to be harsh or rude. But its important to know from others what works and what does not. I see these threads pop up all the time and always keep quiet because its just a waste of time when the "artists" are looking for attention more than advice or feedback. Negative feedback is just as good as positive feedback if you know how to fix the negative and turn it into positive.....

10. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Speak for yourself, homey.

You're not the only art major in the world. I just don't pimp my facebook out into a billboard for and post my music on in the hangout. That makes me less of an artist, or less qualified to judge someone else's work? Fine.

You should get a different degree. Or at least don't qualify yourself in conversations by identifying yourself as an such, as an art major, also while blindly denouncing the possibility that anyone else values their art. It makes you sound self-righteous, naive, and small minded.

11. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

I'm an English major and I'm sure he meant "[probably] couldn't do any better".

12. Garner

Garner Member

Haha, Liberal Arts...

13. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

14. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Love typography, Love the video...song not so much, not hating, there's just no prevailing element that catches my ear.

15. Rushdie

Rushdie Member

Goodness, that was awful.

16. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

At least have the courage to post on your real account. Don't create one just to troll.

17. Rushdie

Rushdie Member

I don't know what this means.

18. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Since when is that a prerequisite for having an opinion?

I guess we can't criticize NBA players either. Might as well shut down the GARM.

19. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

hey, i have a very respectful job flipping burgers thank you very much.

20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

No problem with opinions (I always have one), I just felt the criticism he was getting wasn't constructive. Please don't misunderstand me.

I figuratively meant most people can't do as well. I just don't think people replying were being very fair. It's a big accomplishment for him to have his video done by someone of note like that. I just think people should try to be a bit more supportive. Comments like "that was awful", are a lot less helpful than explaining why someone didn't like it.