1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Music] Thoughts on Bon Jovi?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by htwnbandit, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Ras137

Ras137 Contributing Member

Bland and shallow. I think that Raven hit on the head with journey comment. Look nobody can deny (like Journey) they have good songs that are fun to rock out to, but they are not an artist of real substance like Bruce SPRINGSTEEN. Compare "Livin on a Prayer" to any Bruce's great songs about a similar subject: "Born to Run","the Promised Land","The River" or "Atlantic City" among many others and there is no comparison. Bon Jovi songs are mainly slick production over a sing along chorus, I mean think about it, rarely can I remember Bon Jovi verses but damn if I can't sing every chorus to every hit. Bon Jovi is entertaining but they're so shallow if they were a pool it wouldn't even cover your toes.

2. Raven

Raven Member

Mellencamp, Springsteen, and Petty all began in the 70s, but commercially peaked in the 80s. Name one decent band or performer who started in the 80s and played "heartland rock"? REM is kinda sort like that, but who else?

And by the 90s, the same audience drifted over to Garth (gags).

PS, at least Journey has Wheel in the Sky. :)

3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

sorry good hit songs

none of their 'best' songs were ever that great. now to hear them roll out and play 'half way there' over and over makes me want to stab myself in the eyes.

4. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

You compare one of Bon Jovi's two most overplayed beat-to-death-by-the-radio songs to 4 of Springsteen's songs. How's that fair? Bon Jovi had other songs you know, about the subject of "you can do it". "I Believe", "Welcome to Wherever You Are", "The Distance", etc.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Bon Jovi was better when they didn't play "heartland rock". That's what's strange about the thread to me. I didn't know there were people out there that preferred more recent Bon Jovi to the 80s stuff. Anything after New Jersey doesn't need to be talked about, IMO.

1 person likes this.
  6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

So you prefer the glam metal Bon Jovi? I like all BJ but there's plenty of people that think their glam days was all production/radio but like the more mature songwriting of the later albums.

7. TheFreak

This is the best Bon Jovi:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s86K-p089R8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

9. TheFreak

And this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/omLgJe9cnCw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. TheFreak

You've opened up a can of worms, OP:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ifm00JEjSeo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I've seen both Bon Jovi and Bruce play in Jersey, and the fans of both shows took the experiences to the next level.

That being said, Bruce is in a different class.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

All my life all I've asked is when Bon Jovi gonna speak to me.
    But I think they're living in another world, tryin to get their message through.

13. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Okay, so we're posting favorites now?

Here's mine:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Xcz5HRme9BM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just sounds like they're having a blast playing this.

14. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

This song is cool tho, 7800* Fahrenheit is so underrated.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5U6Y4xSa0HY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

So many music snobs in here. Ill take bon jovi over springsteens constipated, need to take a laxative, shtick any day of the week. I was recently at a bon jovi concert. Most non pretentious guy onstage ive seen. Spent 5-10 minutes total talking for the entire 3 hour set. He knew what the fans were there for. Everyone in the stadium had a good time singing along to his overplayed pop rock songs. We all went home humming living on a prayer and feeling good. What else do you want from music? If you want philosophy, go read a book

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, I want to say I like them, but I only get ... halfway there.

17. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Honestly, while I don't really care for the band and their music, it's always been Sambora and Bon Jovi are what makes the band what it is. The other members...while always present...are pretty much along for the ride. So, when Sambora called it quits, it doesn't even feel like Bon Jovi any more. It might as well just be the singer touring solo with whatever supporting band members he wants to bring along. I mean...if they are playing all their hits that Sambora developed a reputation as a good guitarist on...it's just wrong to see someone else up there playing it as they didn't even write it. It feels pretty much like Axel Rose's current incarnation of Guns N Roses without Slash. I wouldn't pay to see it if I was a fan of the band. I guess I understand why Bon Jovi was forced to carry on without Sambora because Sambora had to do what's right for him. But, it's like you are getting half the band on tour.

That's all I'm going to say about that. :)

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I've always thought Sambora was overrated as a guitarist. His solos were always very dull and bland for me. And I must admit, it always annoyed me that he tried to dress like SRV (hat, sultan of swing guitar strap, etc.). I'd be interested to hear what other guitarists think of his playing.

I did think he and Jon's harmonies were great. Their voices sound good together.

Their Behind the Music was pretty interesting. I thought it was strange that they fired their bass player so late in the game because he couldn't hack it live. That's fine, but why was he in the band for so long before that if he couldn't play Bon Jovi songs live? Did he get worse as he went along? I don't think the music got any more complex. Was there a bass player under the stage playing the songs during their hey-day?