1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MUSIC]PJ Harvey + Dream Pop Bands

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Jun 5, 2009.

1. van chief

van chief Member

I dont have either of those albums, let me know what you thinks.

on the albums I do have

B-Sides & Rarities, its a three CD collection and very good. ***
    Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus *** up tempo for the first half and then slows down, 17 tracks
    Dig Lazarus Dig *** more up tempo
    Henry's Dream *** up tempo
    Murder Ballads ** rather slow
    No more shall we part ** slow, sad album
    Nocturama *** very good songs all the way through
    Best of (disc 1) *** very good songs, its a best of

** good but dont seem to listen to them as much
    *** good, seem to be in the rotation a bit more

2. van chief

van chief Member

Before i forget; for me the Natural Progression was

Tom Waits
    Nick Cave
    PJ Harvey - very different from the rest Barry Adamson

Barry Adamson played with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds on a few albums Your Funeral my Trial, The firstborn is dead, from her to eternity. I ran across him on the Lost Highway soundtrack.

Barry Adamson, is blues/jazz, lots of sax, and dark tones his albums come off very noir. His album As Above So Below is really good. I think it was the first I picked up and probably the one I enjoy the most. all the songs have a good tempo and the album doesn't drag.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

You are probably aware of this but Adamson was originally in Magazine and although they only released 4 albums, they are all pretty good (I only have the first but plan on getting the other 3). They, Cave, Killing Joke, Siouxsie, Ultravox, Japan, and Public Image Limited have been artists that I have been listening to quite a bit of late.

I need to pick up some Birthday Party stuff - you have anything by that group?

4. van chief

van chief Member

I rember reading that Adamson was in a few different groups, but never went that direction. Will check out Magazine, see what I can find.

Dont have any Birthday Party albums, will look into Public Image.

5. Manny Ramirez

Magazine was formed by Howard Devoto who had been in the Buzzcocks. Their original guitarist was John McGeoch who would go on to play in both Siouxsie and the Banshees and Public Image Limited (after they got out of their experimental phase). McGeoch has received high praise and has been cited by Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead as his favorite guitarist or one of his favorites. So, I don't know if you are a big Radiohead fan (at least Bends era Radiohead), but if you are, you will probably like Magazine. Their first album (Real Life) is very guitar-oriented with washes of keyboards; yet on their 2nd album, "Secondhand Daylight", they do a 180 and feature the keyboards heavily. The 3rd album, "The Correct Use of Soap" is more like the first and the one that most think are the best (although you have people who make cases for both the first and second). The fourth and final album is easily their worst.

I wasn't really expecting to get any of the CDs I just ordered; however "Souvlaki" came today (I had ordered from a guy in east TN) and I am finishing it up right now. I really really like this album. Some tracks are greater than others but I have a feeling that this album will earn its keep after repeated listens. I'm also anxiously awaiting the first Spiritualized album which I am hoping will be here Monday or Tuesday.

6. Manny Ramirez

Bringing this thread back again....

I had already gotten 2 albums by Spiritualized ("Lazer Guided Melodies" and "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating Into Space") as well as "Souvlaki" by Slowdive, "Playing With Fire" by Spacemen 3 and "Long Division" by Low. IMO, Low is a great band that many people probably don't know about. Part of the sadcore or slowcore genre, other bands in that genre are American Music Club and Red House Painters.

I also have recently gotten "In Ribbons" by Pale Saints, "Split" by Lush, and "Mezcal Head" by Swervedriver. I really liked the Pale Saints CD, the Lush one was OK and the Swervedriver one will probably be okay but it definitely had more of a rock feel to it than the others.

Not really shoegazing or dream pop bands, but I wanted to ask people what their thoughts were on these artists:

Windy & Carl
    The Autumns
    Codeine
    Bark Psychosis
    Dirty Three
    Labradford
    The Durutti Column
    TV on the Radio
    Animal Collective
    Flying Saucer Attack
    The Rachels

7. Manny Ramirez

Okay, I am just finishing up track #5, "Strings" off the "Citrus" album by Asobi Seksu and just want to say that this CD is amazing! This is exactly the type of music I was hoping it would be. I also had gotten the Engineers' debut CD and it was pretty good but it was a lot more laid back and not as frenetic as the Asobi album. Both albums are very good but I want to thank whoever it was (was it subtomic?) for the tip on Asobi Seksu. If you love My Bloody Valentine, you must pick up "Citrus".

8. worzel gummidge

I never knew there was a video for Car Wash Hair until now.

<object width="400" height="319"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MVxAQLtpMBA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MVxAQLtpMBA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="319"></embed></object>

<embed src="http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/sy-18085787/mercury_rev_something_for_joey_official_music_video.swf" width="400" height="345" wmode="transparent" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" name="Metacafe_sy-18085787" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed><br><font size = 1><a href="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/sy-18085787/mercury_rev_something_for_joey_official_music_video/">Mercury Rev - Something For Joey (Official Music Video)</a> - <a href="http://www.metacafe.com/">The best home videos are here</a></font>

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

edit: whoops, already been addressed. You have good PJ suggestions...

10. Manny Ramirez

Okay, I am going through "Citrus" again and damn does this album kick! It is my 3rd favorite shoegazing (there's that word again, moes :p :D ) album ever after Loveless and Souvlaki.

I was reading on Allmusic that Asobi Seksu has just released another new album called "Rewolf" and apparently the guitarist (James Hanna) thought it would be a cool thing to re-do some of their old songs but in an acoustic setting and concentrate more on Yuki's voice. Allmusic ripped that album a new one by giving it only 2 stars out of 5 (they did give "Hush" a favorable review, though). Didn't know if anyone had picked up "Rewolf" yet but if you have, would like to know if the album is really that bad.

11. Landlord Landry

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1An2pjS4mKE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1An2pjS4mKE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

12. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I don't know I'm a fan, but I do have "Uh Huh, Her" and it's not bad. "The Letter" is a pretty good song with a cool hook.

13. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Manny, I posted this in the other music thread a while back, but I thought I'd post again here. The album is solid (for the genre) and they sound great live, too. Thought you might like it.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NXFj94qr0R0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NXFj94qr0R0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.