1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Music News] RIP Soundgarden & Audioslave's Chris Cornell

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, May 18, 2017.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Sounds like me :) my first CD was Alice in Chains (I think 94 or so), but I loved Soundgarden too, and got their CDs shortly after.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...-medication-could-n762046?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma
    Chris Cornell’s Wife Disputes Suicide Ruling, Says Medication Could Have Played Role
    by MARY EMILY O'HARA

As music fans everywhere mourn the sudden loss of Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell, his family is raising questions about the circumstances behind his death.

Cornell, 52, was found dead late Wednesday after a concert in Detroit, Michigan. The Wayne County medical examiner's office declared his death a suicide by hanging.

The renowned, Grammy-winning Seattle grunge rocker left behind a wife and three children.

Early Friday, Vicky Cornell issued a statement in which she expressed concerns that her husband's medication — the anti-anxiety benzodiazepine known commercially as Ativan — may have impacted his judgment.

"When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different," she said in the statement. "When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him."

3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

me neither...

i know someone who worked for perry right after janes broke up. the stories i heard about him are downright scary. heroin, hookers, doing heroin with hookers and videotaping it, drug-fueled paranoia, thinking people including his former bandmates were trying to have him killed, discussing putting "hits" on his "enemies", hiring sketchy private investigators, ect...really dark stuff.

i remember when i heard cobain died. was not surprised at all. same with layne staley or weiland. this is different though...when i first heard the story i thought heart attack or some natural cause. drugs or suicide just did not seem like a possibility with him.

#83 jo mama, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Right, taking an extra ativan or two made him suicidal.

People need to give it up sometimes, that is just such an insanely stupid statement. It is a sedative used to calm patients. Big Chris Cornell fan, but if he hung himself this wasn't just taking an extra ativan sort of situation.

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I've been listening to Cornell from Soundgarden to solo to Audioslave. I also really enjoy playing a lot of their music. I expected this to be an OD, definitely not suicide much less the method he chose.

The only thing I can assume is that someone who made such great music for so long must have truly been a tortured soul.

I hope he found the peace he was seeking.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this line of rationale. There are a lot of medications coming out now with side effects of suicidal thoughts. A quick Google search will show that one of the common side effects of Ativan is suicidal ideation, and if he took too many...

There's also quite a few reports of people considered "stable" -- at least in a I'm-not-going-to-kill-myself kind of way -- committing suicide after taking Ativan.

This is one of the many reasons I don't trust Pharmaceutical companies. Half the time the side effects aren't worth the "cure". (Like Chris Rock said; there's no money in the cure, it's in the comeback.)

#86 seclusion, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    mikol13 likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

scary ass stuff

Lorazepam
    Brand name: Ativan
    Sedative
    It can treat seizure disorders, such as epilepsy. It can also be used before surgery and medical procedures to relieve anxiety.
    Controlled substance
    Can cause paranoid or suicidal ideation and impair memory, judgment, and coordination. Combining with other substances, particularly alcohol, can slow breathing and possibly lead to death.

seclusion likes this.
  8. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Ativan is a staple at any hospital, and if you're taking it regularly , pretty much twice a day with the half life how on earth can you link suicidal thoughts to that and not what was already present? There have been reports of people getting suicidal thoughts from claritin and flonase. Correlation doesn't equal causation, especially with someone in a big spotlight such as CC

I'm the first to hop on the psychotropic meds such as SSRI suicidal ideation train but the ativan part is stretched.
    Google tylenol too. Endless SE from anything. That means that there is a chance, and not that it is directly linked.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

we don't know if he took a large dose or if he mixed it with alcohol or another substance.
    it's usually not just one pill that does it.

10. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

My point exactly. Yet we don't say anything about alcohol or other stuff he was on. Alcohol with your tylenol --> liver damage. Yet we always harp on the tylenol.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Me too. My mom brought me back my first CD player from a Hong Kong trip around 92-93 along with Nirvana's Nevermind and Dirt from AIC. A few tracks were in the wrong order on Dirt so I thought songs had different titles for a good while lol.

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Weiland is at least a tier below those other guys, IMO. Maybe keep it to Big 4.

The Use Your Illusion tour is what first got me interested in SG. BMF still my favorite.

14. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

Considering the tripe masquerading as rock that came out after the Seattle music scene excavation, I'd give Weiland the nod. Guy was a strong singer and those Velvet Revolver albums are solid.

So these tributes are going around now apparently & no one is going do these songs justice so they shouldn't really try, IMO. But I appreciated this one here:

I like how the crowd gets involved, Cornell left us some great tunes.

15. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i met jello biafra from the dead kennedys last night and was talking to him about cornell. he theorized that it was auto-erotic asphyxiation, which seems plausible. his suicide seemed to take everyone by surprise, including his wife and bandmates. he was found in a bathtub with a band around his neck. does not sound like a hanging, necessarily.

on the other hand, his wife did call someone to go check on him so she knew something was wrong.

#95 jo mama, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    FranchiseBlade and mikol13 like this.
  16. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Amazing so many musicians pay tribute to Chris. I don't remember that many paying tribute to Kurt. I can guarantee that Pearl Jam will write a song about Chris. Eddie V will more motivated to write know.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Pre-social media.

CCity Zero, jo mama and Torn n Frayed like this.
  18. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I went to a Smithereens concert several years ago: littered with teenagers wearing Cobain shirts.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member