1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Music] Most underrated 80's hard rock/metal band

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mikus, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Maybe more punk/hardcore then metal/hard rock but:

Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains, Minor Threat and Black Flag are pretty legendary 80's bands.

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Both of ya'll are right.

3. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

A few more obscure ones were vinnie Vincent invasion, pretty maids and blue tears.

4. mikus

mikus Member

Vinnie Vincent Invasion was great, I had two of there albums on cassette tape!

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Bad Brains is a great example. The others weren't really "hard rock/metal" bands, and I would argue the Dead Kennedys, while interesting, actually sucked as a band. Minor Threat was incredible, musically -- as were, say, the Minutemen, but that's all punk I think.

For those who never heard the B.B.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LRyl5tNaGQY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For fun, I would also like to throw in Drunks with Guns. :grin:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sd6IBjZ6aQw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    (must be played loudly, and patiently)

6. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

I thought the All Systems Go was a great album from VVI. After that the singer formed Slaughter and while I liked the first album, everything after was bad.

7. mikus

mikus Member

I agree about All Systems Go. I did also like the self titled album as well. The first Slaughter album stick it to ya, was really good but almost become a victim of its own success. It was so popular when I was in high school, it practically became cliche.

8. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Yeah, I do. They were strung out on heroin/drugs in the 70s forthe most part, not the late 80s when they were back to good form. Really the first half of the 80s was definitely their worst period when Perry and Bradford left, and even when he came back their first two 80s albums Rock in a Hard Place/Done with Mirrors didn't do too well (even though I still like 'em). But Permanent Vacation and Pump were both great albums.

9. mikus

mikus Member

Another one that I forgot. Mr. Big. I had their album Lean into It.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7lKMAaDRR3Q?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But tying it to the Anime watcher's thread, they also did the end song for the series Hellsing.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S70krAJ09fk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The thread may have reached its zenith after the 2nd post.

However, I'll try to make a case for Hanoi Rocks being the answer to this question.

These guys were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Their music would be more appreciated by fans of bands like NY Dolls and 70s glam like Mott the Hoople, T Rex, etc. but with a harder edge, if those fans knew Hanoi existed. I actually didn't fully appreciate these guys until much later on. Axl Rose basically stole his look and moves of the Appetite days from their lead singer Michael Monroe.

Cases in point:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1Myk5AydLXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aM4BqmRA9WM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zU_rjYMc7jI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ra503BrlR44" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_t8wsRT1S5A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/G9qHE9P8tHE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

First concert I ever saw- Billy Squier and Steel Breeze at the Astrodome, November 3, 1982!!

Oh, yeah, they had a 3rd band- I think it was the Who.

1 person likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

No way... I was there with you and I totally agree -- and i've been a huge fan of The Cult forever and they did not fit in that tour at all. They were headliners of 2-3000 person venues -- playing The Summit with 10+ thousand Metallica fans as an opening act was way beyond their ability -- their sound and vibe with the audience was not good.

~Electric was one of the best Albums of the 80s.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1yLVufAfby0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

How about Rainbow? I would say the fit the underrated bill perfectly.

16. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

17. Buck Turgidson

No, they are not.

18. Buck Turgidson

Oh, I second, third and or fourth the love for Billy Squier.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tKlu3A3BBgE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

When Joe Lynn Turner joined Rainbow he was told by Ritchie Blackmore that he wanted him to get Rainbow a top 40 song and he did just what he was told.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/g5VZgBQ-gTI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Frehley's Comet

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TMVE1iqFQVQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>