1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Music] METALLICA new album release, "Hardwired…To Self-Destruct", on November 18.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Just listened to the last 7 songs posted. They are all good songs imo. Overall, impressive effort and body of work.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Got the deluxe set and I like all of the songs but there are definitely some standouts. Now That We're Dead, holy **** what a track!!!

I'm also finding the more I listen to all of them, the more I like. Also, the new version of Lords of Summer is great. Much better than the live demo version they did a couple of years ago.

One of their best albums from top to bottom.

#82 ipaman, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I've now listened to Spit Out the Bone like 20 times today.

ipaman likes this.
  4. Surfguy

I read a couple of reviews on Yahoo. One said it was their best work since the "Black" album. Another said it was another forgetful effort akin to "Death Magnetic" made as an excuse to tour again and play mostly classic hits fans really want to hear. He gave it a 2 out of 4 stars. LOL

5. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They just need to see if they can pull off an updated version of Kill Em All. That album holds up except for production. It was produced so poorly because they were nobodies at the time. I don't generally like re-recording albums and James obviously has a much deeper, older, voice but I would be interested in them giving it a try. Invite Dave to play on it, too!

The new stuff isn't terrible and great for 50 somethings but musically too repetitive and formulaic. They have made much, much worse, though.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Finally got a chance to listen to it over the weekend. Feel like it is a solid album. The singles had the vibe of Death Magnetic which I liked but I was pretty surprised at how many mid-tempo songs they had on there (particularly side 2). To me, those mid tempo songs had a LOAD feel. I am kind of mixed on those songs. Gonna need to spin them a few more times to see if they stick.
    I prefer the more up-tempo songs. Atlas, Rise and Spit Out The Bone are my favorites.

I though the album mixing was good and better than Death Magnetic's brickwall. But I feel like Hardwired could have used a seasoned producer to tighten up some of the songs.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

8. Surfguy

9. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

anyone go to the concert? those old men put on a great show!

10. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I did, but the Alamodome sound is awful.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was a good show at NRG, and great people watching. I loved seeing middle aged men mosh pitting and then being bent over our of breath.