1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Music Im listening to lately

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TeXaSalsa, May 21, 2000.

1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DoD:

I thought you were older, I just have not heard of some of the stuff you listed. Different tastes, I guess. It probably also does not help that I do not listen to the radio (only listen to my cd's) or watch mtv or anything...
    I am 24, by the way.

------------------
    rimbaud post-a-thon 2000

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm ancient. I'm 29.

------------------
    ?

3. Steve_Francis_rules

2Pac is the greatest rapper of all time.
    ...And then there was X is a great CD.

JCBlazersGirl33:
    Boys II Men are one of the best groups ever in my opinion, and I heard they are working on a new CD.

------------------

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've listened to a lot of Tupac's lyrics and have to say that his raps are among the few raps where I really listen to the lyrics. Some of the words hit really hard. (Rap songs with meaningful lyrics? DAMN!) He'll always be among my favorites.

Boys II Men always have been and always will be one of my favorite groups ever. Their harmonies are beautiful. "End of the Road", "4 Seasons of Loneliness", "I'll Make Love to You", "Human II" (remember Human League's "Human"? If you like that, this is a take off of it. I LOVE IT! [​IMG]). These guys have talent. In a an age where sex, pathetic lyrics, and yelling and screaming are considered talent, these guys stand out.

------------------
    ?

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Wow, for some reason I always thought you were way older, like in your 40's. Oh well.

------------------
    ?

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Brittany Spears? The only thing I wanna hear from her is her....well, this is a family BBS, so I'll leave that one alone.

As for rap, I'm a huge 2Pac fan and have recently gotten into Eminem(that boy can flow!!). I like Wobble Wobble because of the beat...the lyrics are horrible like most southern rap is(ie. Cash Money Records). If you really like Pac, he's got well over 100 unreleased songs and some tight remixes like the Wanted Dead or Alive remix with Snoop to a Big Pun joint.

RATM rocks! I hope this band sticks around for awhile. Hard to believe they started because of a school project!

I also like Marilyn Manson. They have some wicked tunes and interesting lyrics. Give them a listen.

Aside from that I like Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Beastie Boys, Lenny Kravitz(the man rocks!!!), some latin music. I'm pretty open musically. Just don't feed me any manufactured artists like N Stink or the Wackstreet Boys!!

By the way, I'm 25.

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

7. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Before saying Tupac is the best ever you might want to take a long listen to KRS-1, Ice-T (probably my favorite, live this guy is unbelievably powerful) or Chuck D.

Some of my other favorites--U2 (though a weird tanget to follow the last decade or so though), Neville Brothers, Zepplin, Pink Floyd, ZZ Top, Jane's Addiction, Peppers, Dave Mathews Band, and Metallica (though they should have hired Les Claypool when he tried out for the band). The Verve is one of the better bands I have heard over the last few years. It seems there arn't too many bands that I fancy recently, most of the industry to me seems too much based on sound bites, package over orginality, and 1-man (or women) shows. L Hill, close to a 1-women show, is dam* good though. Lenny K is better live than recorded.

[This message has been edited by sir scarvajal (edited June 01, 2000).]

8. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

I havent heard much Ice-T. what is a famous song of is ill DL it off napster...

eminem is very very talented. but he often borders on just sick and mean. no matter how much of a bad childhood you have saying your mom is a slut and that you will rape her or kill your wife is inexcusable. his new album isnt bad, i love real slim shady and the very sad stan, and kill you, but the album is too slow at times and needs to pick up the pace. he needs more fast songs.

im trying to appreciate RATM more. they do have some good points in their songs.

i bought the MI:2 soundtrack. its ok, but i love the limp biz and metallica songs other than that its boring.

i like some of the people sir scarvajel mentioned but not all. i like the peppers alot, i usually dont care for metallica tho they just seem to sound the same every song. i did by the orchestra CD which was good.

brittney spears is talented but needs more voice training. i am gonna listen to her new album. her songs r pretty catchy tho. i dont care for Nsync or BSB too much my lil sis does but i dont. while they have nice voices they just come across as girly and unoriginal to me.

------------------
    --TEX

[This message has been edited by TeXaSalsa (edited June 01, 2000).]

9. Magic

Magic New Member

I have a question about Emimem's new cd for those of you that have it. What is the difference between the two different covers. I thought i heard that one of them was an edited version but i could be mistaken.

------------------
    “To know what you know and to know what you don’t know is a characteristic of one who knows.”

10. RocketsPimp

Sir Scarvajal, I grew up listening to KRS-1, Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, in addition to many other classic(never thought you'd hear that!!) rappers and they are all good, but no one, I repeat, no one has exhibited the talent and skills that TuPac has. He touches on subjects other rappers are afraid to think of and can flow with a beat like no other rapper. He is the greatest.

Like I said, all of his released albums are only the tip of the iceburg. Pac has at least another 7-10 albums that are unreleased. Half of the last album with the Outlaws have been floating around for over a year. Some of the songs are even better then their released counterparts.

Right on about Lenny, the man can put on a show. Anyone see him at Fall Jam last year?

Another group I like that isn't rap is Faith No More. Those guys can rock!

------------------

11. LaTinBoy

LaTinBoy Member

well, i'm a big punk music fan, who has gotten into Rap, i love offspring and green day (waitin for the new cd) blink 182, bad religion etc...
    i like DMX, Dr Dre, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Jay Z etc...

By the way, i'm white(latin), 15 , and reaaly hate Latin Music(have heard it all my life) and Pop(kill the Wackstreetboys!!!!):p

------------------

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Don't y'all know that I'm the only one who can start a thread on this topic? [​IMG]

I'm listening to:

Doobie Brothers-Best Of
    Dave Matthews Band-Recently
    Bob Marley & The Wailers-Uprising
    Blue Train-John Coltrane
    Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals-Burn to Shine
    Oasis-Standing on the Shoulders of Giants
    Miles Davis-b****es Brew
    Los Lobos-This Time

It's hard to listen to almost any of my CDs since me and my longtime girlfriend split up since they almost all remind me of her in some way. Hopefully we'll be back together soon, and I can start listening to more of my music!

BTW, just some advice, be sure to never take for granted what your significant other means to you. I don't want any of you feeling the way I have for the last couple of weeks.

I'm 23 and a Virgo.

[​IMG]

------------------
    Get your proper swirve on...visit www.swirve.com (coming in mid-June, for now visit www.eesite.com)

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited June 02, 2000).]

13. RocketsPimp

Rocketman, I feel you man. The same thing happened to me over a year ago. You just need to find new things to keep you busy and make sure you take care of yourself...physically and mentally.

I pretty much forgot about everyone I knew, dropped to about 135 lbs and went on a serious partying binge. Since then I have picked up working out again(up to 160lbs now), made new friends and reconciled with old ones and mellowed out on the partying(still know how to have a good time).

Just remember, time heals all wounds. This is YOUR time. Make the most of it my friend!

------------------

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Rocketman,

Dude keep your head up about the women thang!~ Don't know if this will help (right now it probably won't (god knows I didn't think the pain would end when it happened to me and I didn't need some jerk giving me advice). And boy do I know what you mean about the taking for granted stuff.

But a couple things...

I too went off when a fiancée of 7 years broke it off with me. I pretty much drank myself into oblivion for about 6 months and would sleep with anything with a pulse. But this passed and (what's that old saying?) that which doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

Well after a few friends slapped me upside the head I finally got myself together. The next few years were really cool because I spent time on me! I really got to become comfortable with myself and learned that I was a pretty cool and special person. Use this time likewise.

It does get better. Just some rambling thoughts to let you know that it's not the end of the world (although it seems so). Just keep looking foreword and know that you are special and you have tons to offer the right person.

------------------

15. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

RP, that's cool if Tupac is your favorite, maybe I should give his music more of my attention.

If you really want to here a foreshadowing album (before "Satan" Hussen, etc), listen to Brother's Keeper by the Neville's. I don't always agree with all their statements, but man do I respect them and do they nail a bunch of things on the head.

On Metallica, on the way to work Fade to Black came on the radio but the signal faded. That completely sucked. I really think they have been a great band, but as an article in the SJ Mercury News discussed yesterday--they sure seem be acting like "The Man" lately (my paraphrase of what it said)--and not just about the Napster thing.

A couple of Ice-T songs worth checking out: "Escape from the Killing Fields", "Lethal Weapon", "Mind over Matter". Though Ice-T is best appreciated live IMO though.

RM95, just keep your head up, learn what you can from it, and move ahead w or w/o her.

------------------

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Judas Priest "British Steel"
    Thin Lizzy "Fighting"
    Slayer "Seasons in the Abyss"
    Sepultura "Roots"
    King's X "Please Come Home...Mr. Bulbous"
    Buckcherry "Buckcherry"
    Oasis "Definitely Maybe"

I'd like to get the new Iron Maiden CD soon as well...

R95 -- hang in there. [​IMG]

------------------
    "Yes, I came from the 80s...but I didn't kill anybody. Give me a break."

-Mike Tramp, former lead singer of White Lion

[This message has been edited by TheFreak (edited June 02, 2000).]

17. RocketsPimp

FREAK, no King Diamond?

------------------

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

LOL...no pimp, but I may have to pull out some Krokus or Manowar later in the week [​IMG]

------------------
    "Yes, I came from the 80s...but I didn't kill anybody. Give me a break."

-Mike Tramp, former lead singer of White Lion