1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Multiple Players from a Single Draft Succeed Together?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LewLLOYD, Aug 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Are there examples of multiple players taken from a single draft who succeed together on the team that drafted them?

If you know of any, please post.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Great question. Found this:

4. 1985 - The very first year the NBA used the lottery system and the draft class has already given us two Hall of Famers in Patrick Ewing and Joe Dumars. Karl Malone will soon join them and Chris Mullin more than likely will as well. Other all stars in that rookie class were Xavier Mcdaniel, Detlef Schrempf, Charles Oakley, A.C. Green, Michael Adams and Terry Porter. Spud Webb, Mario Elie, and Arvydas Sabonis should also be acknowledged.

Sabonis and Terry Porter were both drafted by the Trailblazers. That being said, Sabonis took a while to play his first game for them AND this site is incorrect in that Sabonis was drafted in 1986.

If all three of these guys become stars, it will be a very big deal and I'd bet the media might give us some love because it's a great story... but only if it's true.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You mean on the same team?

If so, I guess one recent example would be Aldridge and Roy. A less recent example would be Lindsey Hunter and Allan Houston (drafted 10th and 11th in the same draft).

4. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

76ers got Darryl Dawkins and World B. Free in 1975

5. levintblack

Aldridge was drafted by the Bulls and Roy was drafted by Minnesota.

6. levintblack

He meant by one team I believe but the best draft class is easily the year before you listed.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Well the most famous one I can recite in my sleep,,, Bill Russell. Auerbach traded for him on draft night and selected Tom Heinsohn and KC Jones with his own Boston picks. Thus, counting draft day trades, his haul was three HOFs in one draft...and many rings later.

But it's still a great question. I'm interested, too. Has any team post ABA done it. Not necessarily a ring, because we can pretty much say no Title team has done it in the "modern" era. But how about any Finals team?

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

mark aguirre and rolando blackman

9. levintblack

Had forgotten all about this one before seeing while looking through their draft history but the Bulls got Brand and Artest in 1999.

10. heypartner

Oh, oops....that would mean Sampson and Rodney McCray making it to the '86 Finals. :cool:

11. heypartner

They didn't succeed together...Brand was traded in two years. Good draft though.

12. heypartner

no. Carl Herrera is right. Draft night trades count. Who picks them is just a technical issue.

13. prs325

prs325 Member

Was Jim Petersen drafted in the 2nd round that year as well?

14. levintblack

If you want success together and counting draft day trades then there is Kobe and Derek Fisher although I think Fisher is vastly overrated.

15. heypartner

I think the OP's point about "success together" and why this is in the GARM rather than Dish is because the implied point that can our guys succeed together...or will they get dispersed or not succeed at all.

as in, how often has this ever happened before.

16. levintblack

I think we all understand that. Just listing pairs or groups as he requested.

17. SRR21

SRR21 Member

I am in the hopes that 1 out of the 3 turns into a passed over star, I mean the chances of all 3 being players that 9 teams overlooked have to be really slim.

18. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Harden and Ibaka

19. carayip

carayip Member

Anyway, if all 3 or 4 rookies become all star players, we would have major headache down the road when we want to re-up them. Better be 1-2 becoming stars while the others become solid rotational role players.

20. roxxy

roxxy Member

Well if this were to happen, I would rather have all our rookies become all star players than have 1-2. The more all star potential the rookies have the more chances the Rockets have at winning games. Worry about the money later on, and don't wish for less talent now.