1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Multiple people shot at church in Sutherland Springs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Nov 5, 2017.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hear ya. I always feel safe when I go to Ireland. I love it there. People say selling guns legally doesn't make crime worse, yet this stuff just doesn't happen in Ireland. Sure, it is a small country, but people don't just go around shooting down people in clubs, schools, church, concerts, and movie theaters like they do here. I'm not talking about terror attacks. I am talking about people in your own community who aren't terrorists. People who are mentally ill, sick or evil, and just want to take their anger out on everyone else. I don't get it. Tell me another civilized country where this happens so often. I don't think you can, unless you are talking about a country at war.

People who don't want change might think differently if their kids were gunned down in church, school, or when out having fun. Then again, maybe they wouldn't. It's like trying to talk a Democrat into being a Republican or vice versa when we bring up the gun issue. I don't get it. Why can't people see we can make our country safer? We have to minimize this type of violence by changing our gun laws. We can help to minimize mass casualties by banning assault rifles. We also need to make it much more difficult to legally own a gun. There will always be criminals and mentally ill people, people who buy guns on the black market, and kids who find guns left out by their parents. I just don't see how anyone doesn't agree that we can make our country safer than it is right now by changing some laws.

Deckard, Yung-T and B-Bob like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Are y'all arguing about guns again?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You say that, but the basis of what this country was founded upon disagrees with that.

If you could eliminate half of the murders in this country by abolishing democracy and eliminating voting rights for American citizens, would you? If not you'll understand why those statistics are irrelevant.

4. sefant77

sefant77 Member

You know this thing called "evolution"?

5. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Pretty much every Republican politician, 4chan, The_Donald, the usual D&D posters who supposedly didn't vote for Trump but defends everything he does, FOX News, Uneducated white nationalist facebook posters.

Rocket River likes this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, and while Harden is scoring 56 points on 75% shooting.

deb4rockets and pgabriel like this.
  7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The basis of which this country was formed gave future generations power to amend the Constitution.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

“If you’re going to turn to gun regulation to try to reduce murders, you might as well give up all freedoms and live in a totalitarian police state.”

This is like a textbook example of a bad argument.

9. prohibido

prohibido Member

So in terms of total casualties where does this rank on the list of 21st century church shootings in the US?

10. TheresTheDagger

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

11. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

12. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

13. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

[​IMG]

14. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I raise you, President of the United States...

Timeline: Trump's Las Vegas vs. New York responses
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/01/politics/trump-response-new-york-las-vegas/index.html

Animals? Calls to end immigration lottery. Politicizing a tragedy.

And finally.. Texas..

Las Vegas- (white domestic terrorist) does not politicize
    NYC- (foreign terrorist) politicizes
    Texas- (white domestic terrorist) does not politicize

justtxyank and Yung-T like this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Trump just sounds completely insincere when he is made to read an empathetic statement.

Deckard, mdrowe00 and justtxyank like this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Thoughts and prayers
    Price of freedom
    Don’t politicize
    Thomas Jefferson quotes
    Lol Europe
    Nazis took guns away
    Lol do you even know automatic bro
    My gun knowledge is bigger than yours
    Squirrel!
    New shooting time to repeat

Deckard, CometsWin, prohibido and 2 others like this.
  17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Animal, psychopath, coward with a gun, the boy next door, or whatever else you want to call a killer like this doesn't really matter. Sick is sick, evil is evil, and terrorism is violence against people for political or religious reasons.

This American just killed generations of families with one cowardly sick act of violence. Can you imagine losing 8 family members in one day while sitting in church? People lost great grandchildren, grandchildren, children, sisters, brothers, husbands, wives, parents, grandparents? Heart breaking is what it is. Prayers to the families.

#177 deb4rockets, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Deckard and Rocket River like this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It shouldn’t be hard to imagine anymore sadly.

deb4rockets likes this.
  19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

“essential Liberty”.

So totally unregulated markets for deadly weapons is an “essential liberty” now.

Edit:

More info on this Ben Franklin quote, in context, below:

https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-ben-franklin-really-said

The “essential liberty” he was talking about was the ability of a legislature to levy taxes in order to provide for the collective security of a community. The “purchase a little temporary safety” is referring to accepting direct funds from the Penn family for defense in exchange for giving up the right to levy taxes on their lands.

So, ironically, Franklin wrote that to defend the governing body’s “essential liberty” to tax for security.

#179 durvasa, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    CometsWin, mdrowe00 and Yung-T like this.
  20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Scary to think that this guy could be a licensed by Texas DPS as a security guard with his felony conviction. Also, I wonder what kind of restrictions and background checks are done at Schlitterbahn Waterpark in New Braunfels, to keep dangerous people from working around children. Any background check with fingerprints would show this criminal history.

Rocket River likes this.