1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Multiple people shot at church in Sutherland Springs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Nov 5, 2017.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why on earth would they even ask people that question to begin with? It seems pretty pointless and stupid. If someone with a criminal history preventing them from buying weapons is trying to get a gun, they aren't going to stop themselves from doing so by answering the form honestly. They only thing I can think of is that the question was there to stop the process quicker, if someone answered yes and didn't know they weren't legally allowed to buy a gun. The government always seems to find a way to make a simple solution so complicated that it frustrates me to no end.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It speeds up the process if people are telling the truth....but when the correct information is in the system, they don't benefit from lying. I would suggest they up the penalties and prosecution rate when it comes to people lying on those forms.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Somewhere around half a million, cancer being the 2nd leading cause of death. Of course that argument isn't really a sensible one given that cancer is talked about all the time. Hell they have entire months dedicated to cancer awareness. When health problems are talked about, cancer is always one of the top issues that is brought up. Now compare that to the homicide rate in the US. How often do we hear about what the real problems are compared to how often we hear about mass shootings and "assault rifles"?

I think it's depressing that it is a reality for a lot of people that they need to carry a gun in order to be safe. When it comes to those who don't actually need to carry, they just feel like they have to, I think those people are pretty sad too.

I don't personally carry a handgun or any firearm unless there is a fairly immediate need to do so or a likely need to do so and I never felt the need to get a permit, so I'm really talking about only doing so on my own land.

When you talk about living in the world "you" made, it really depends on where you live. If you live in an "inner city" high crime type situation, then that's pretty rough. If you live anywhere else in the country, it's not so bad. While there are outliers that skew the statistics for the entire country, it doesn't mean that the entire country is effected by what happens in those few places. Honestly, I can't imagine why anyone would live on the south side of Chicago, or in places like Baltimore. The world that they made in those types of places is pretty awful and I just can't see any reason why people would remain living there. Like you said though, I guess they just have to live with the world they made. I'm perfectly fine living in the world I made because it's nothing like that.

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Tragic event for that town.

I would actually like to see and increase in background checks and an end to the gunshow loophole.

5. Buck Turgidson

Licensed Law Enforcement, Bodyguards, Security? I'm cool with them packing. Nobody else needs a handgun.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since that will never happen, why not just make people get a freaking gun license which requires you to take some tests and have a third party do a background check.

Given that more people here are killing than immigrants turned terrorists, why don't we have "extreme vetting" for gun ownership?

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Capitalism THRIVES in environments of FEAR and DISSATISFACTION
    Politicians and Businessmen have a vested interest in keep both of them high

Chances of a normal person being a victim of a violent crime in America is really not that high
    Take a few security measures like. . Not being in various areas at various times doing various things
    and it drops further . . . ..

But that is unAmerican . . .. I want my pee shooter and go to those various places doing various things and various times
    and I want to come out blasting to save my life, stand my ground , protect property or what ever

People you know account for a strong amount of homicides are friends and family
    [​IMG]

HONEST QUESTION: How many moments have you had where you needed a gun?

I'm talking about REALLY NEEDED ONE
    I'm not talking about. . . I needed one so I didn't have to back down from a fight because . ..pride.

Rocket River

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The general homicide issue in cities like Chicago is significant, but different. The majority of victims have a prior arrest record or are gang-affiliated. A majority of the homicides resulted from an altercation of some sort [source]. 90% of the homicide victims in Chicago last year were men [source]. These homicides are concentrated in urban, poor, minority neighborhoods, meaning there is a large number of socioeconomic factor at work there.

The problem here is you're not just making an argument about awareness; you're trying to argue that it's pointless to even attempt to address the mass shooting problem until we've solved a very different problem. That's about as sensible as arguing we shouldn't seek out solutions to solvable health crises that are right in front of us because we still haven't figured out cancer.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

My point was that when you are focusing all of your energy and attention on small problems and ignoring essentially the largest problem out of fear that you might offend some, it's a bad situation.

One small part of one fairly small group is literally doubling the murder rate in this entire country. That's just insane. When maybe 1% of the population is having that much of a negative effect on the entire country, they need to be called out for it and forced to change. It's simply unacceptable. If that could be done, if the ultra violent 1% could be changed to where they are more in line with the 99% that is everyone else, you'd cut the murder rate by a much more substantial level than you'd get by focusing your efforts elsewhere.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe for the sociopaths in business and politics. The great majority of business people are probably more vested in living in a community without fear and dissatisfaction. At least for my part, I don't attend a lot of meetings where we try to figure out ways to make people fear more. What we do talk about it is how to make our customers more satisfied.

Well, the dead posters can't respond to this one.

11. bongman

bongman Member

Hmmm. This is the profile of a sociopath - http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html. You can almost use the same traits to describe a politician. With regards to the "dead posters", that question was directed to YOU. Deflecting are we?

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

On sociopaths: some sociopaths excel in politics and business because it rewards their antisocial behaviors. But, most people are not sociopaths, and most people in business and politics are not sociopaths. If you think the millions of people engaged in business and politics are bent on increasing world chaos simply so they can profit from it, you're mistaken. Normals would like a well-functioning society that is safe for their children to grow up in.

On needing guns: I've never been in a situation where I've needed a gun, not even remotely. I will never be in a situation where I wished I had a gun, come what may. I prefer not being in a position where I decide whether someone else will die. But, RR's question does have this very obvious flaw. People who were in a situation where they really NEEDED a gun may not live to tell the tale for the simple reason that they really needed that gun.

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  13. bongman

bongman Member

You are naive if you don't think that is the secret in politics. Just like in war, divide and conquer is the most commonly used tactic to win and propaganda is the tool that is used to do this.

The question about when you needed is valid because the propaganda that always keeps getting mentioned is that you have the right to protect yourself. If majority of the gun owners have never had a use for a gun to protect themselves, then that is nothing more than fear propaganda as you have never been in danger in your whole life.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think you think of some moustache twiddling evil doer
    but the reality is . . . people have a interest in Chaos
    Look at the Private prisons that fail because not enough criminals. . . they have a vested interest in there being criminals
    So do Cops, Lawyers, judges and the legal system - If crime went away tomorrow . . . literally millions of jobs would be lost
    A whole portion of the economy goes away. In times of low crime . . .we cut back on funds because they are not needed
    so . . . there is an interest in those sectors to actually seem like their is more crime
    It's a balancing act to show that they are needed while showing they are effective

Dissatisfaction with the current is why people buy the new
    In capitalism we are alot about the buying and selling
    Satisfied people simply don't buy as much as the dissatisfied

It is the nature of the best . .. blood flows through the viens because it has too . . . not because it wants too

Rocket River

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

As for NEEDING a gun . . . . You are right. Dead people tell no tales.
    http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...ston-drop-in-first-six-months-of-11286403.php
    According to the CHRON - there have been 136 murders this year (ok this was in july)
    Let's bump it to 236 . . . . .
    There are 236 moments minimal where a Gun might have been useful to save a life

Expand - http://www.houstontx.gov/police/cs/index-2.htm
    January you had 999 Assaults, 92 rapes and 19 murders (unknown amount of unreported)
    So extrapolated about 12 000 assaults, 1200 rapes and 240 murders this year

In a city of over 2 million - you have 13440 instances where a gun could be POTENTIALLY be useful
    Unknowns: Guns may have been present in some, Some instances a gun did prevent things
    Extrapolate this for the next 20 years 268800 instances - let's give it a 50% boost
    403200 instances where a gun could be useful . . . . .. . . . for over 2 million people

403200/2000000
    So in the next 20 years roughly 20% of the people may have an instances
    13440/2000000
    This is less than 1% a year (.672%)

So again. .. . we could dig deeper but I think you get my point
    We could look at the When, Where's hows, etc . .and further joe regular guy from Gun Moments guy

Rocket River

JuanValdez likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So going by that reasoning, there's really only a 4.5% chance that you'll need a seat belt at any point during the year when driving around in Houston, so they are kind of pointless too.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You cannot beat the reaper

Rocket River

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you dance with the reaper.

[​IMG]

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Basically ignore all problems until we solve world hunger, cancer, and North Korea.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member