1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Multiple people shot at church in Sutherland Springs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well if you look at his post, he's calling for something to be done for the sake of doing something, he doesn't even care if it helps or not. That's the mentality that quite a few people get when it comes to this kind of thing, and it's the mentality a lot of Americans had after 9-11 that led to the Patriot Act. Let's not go there again.

I see no reason why a background check should have ever missed a dishonorable discharge from the military given that it is a disqualifying offense. That's not to say that he couldn't have done this without that purchase, but that's a clearly broken part of the system that needs to be fixed.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Here it is:

Make it easier for people with mental health problesm to obtain guns.

AroundTheWorld and B-Bob like this.
  3. sefant77

sefant77 Member

Okay, so lets do it with USA and Australia then...or you consider the culture difference also large?

25 million people in australia...similar culture...so why they dont have around 10% of the amount of US gun deaths and shootings?

Lets hear your answer

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This makes logically no sense when in reference to your previous post. The 'hard left' in this instance is proposing solutions that are half-measures because they understand how ingrained gun culture is in this country and simply stating that their end solution is to drastically reduce the 300 million firearms in circulation would mean an end to their political careers.

You just stated that you respect the ones who are more forthright with their intentions?

Here is my solution. Over the course of the next couple of decades, we need to find a way to drastically decrease the circulation of firearms while at the same time not making owners of firearms automatically criminals. It's one hell of a predicament. I don't know. Maybe a nation wide voluntary federal buy back program where they buy the firearms well over market value so it can benefit the gun owner by having some extra pocket cash and society since there would be fewer firearms in circulation.

For gun hobbyists, just like car hobbyists having track days, we can have state or federally run indoor and outdoor ranges where all firearms and ammunition are stored in the armory of the range.

AroundTheWorld and Yung-T like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL yes, they have massive cultural differences. How do you not see that?

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's fine. I'm not talking about gun control. Democrats aren't driving the bus here; all they can do is yell at the bus driver. We recently passed some fig leaf legislation about bump stocks. That's great or whatever, but obviously hasn't fixed the problem. So, I want moar. Republicans can pick whatever they want. With a little party unity, they don't even need to glance in a Democrat's direction. Maybe it's not mental health. Maybe Abbott can require that more guns be allowed in more places so we can have more John Waynes shoot at the bad guys. Or maybe we run algorithms on people's Spotify accounts to identify all the potential maniacs by their musical tastes. I'm just fed up with the inaction here. We don't want to do it my way, that's fine; but do it some person's way and do it big.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Getting a CHL is different from buying and carrying an AR. You do not need a CHL to carry an AR. Texas does nothing to prevent anyone from buying a gun. The background check is a federal process.

CometsWin likes this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Ultimately, we are a spineless and lazy people, driven much more by fear of one another than any form of trust in one another.

I would love to be wrong, but we will change nothing, about gun regulations or mental health care. Our solution will look a lot like this, I imagine.

1. Brief and lurid fascination with the shooter. Largely ignore impact on our fellow citizens and a destroyed community.
    2. Pass tax cuts primarily for corporations.
    3. Run further deficits and curtail safety net programs, including what little we have for mental health.
    4. Further accumulation of wealth among the very few at the top.
    5. Greater economic anxiety for most Americans.
    6. More mental health problems brought on by internet addictions, economic stress, and doom-saying media cycles.
    7. More frequent and more deadly "snap" events, whether they are labeled "terrorism" by a dark-skinned person or "mental health problem" by a white person.

Get used to it. And we'll have one where the neighbor is not a good old Texan, like those in my family, with a rifle and shotgun like God intended. But no: we will have a shooter mowing down dozens of people until a "good guy" comes in with his own small-dick-evidence AR-15 or similar, with no training whatsoever but visions of Rambo. That will be extra special, and I'm sure no innocent extra lives will be lost.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

How do we take gun control seriously everyday, when we don't take it seriously after EVERY mass shooting?

If you want to take gun control serious, you need to focus on folks that are scare of any changes, and more importantly, on the GOP (and even the DEM) members that are by large bought by and controlled by gun interests.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And clearly that federal process failed and that needs to be addressed.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The end goal should be to drastically reduce the circulation of firearms.

That can only be achieved by gun manufacturers having less of a lobbying stranglehold on our legislative process so that we can make manufacturing firearms less profitable while giving incentives for individual citizens to sell their firearms.

I want a solution that doesn't make current firearm owners automatically criminals. I think this is the only pragmatic way that doesn't infringe on individual citizen's liberties.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. sefant77

sefant77 Member

Whats the point of super improved background checks etc when such a guy could buy then the rifle for 2000 bucks on the black maket instead of legally at a store for 1000?

"Improved" background checks wont change anything. Just making it for nutjobs a little bit more expensive to get their "tools" for mass shootings.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Sounds nice, but unfortunately, its not accurate. The majority of Americans do want some incremental increases in gun control. Over 90% of Americans want universal background checks. Almost 90% want laws preventing mentally ill people from purchasing guns. The majority of Americans want a federal database to track gun purchases. The majority of Americans want an assault-style weapon ban.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Interesting that republicans chose to tout this straw dog... while "early in the investigation."

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Don't make them criminals, enable them to embrace the freedom of a functional marketplace.

Gun lobby is able to impose their costs (mangled bloody bodies) on all of us but bear almost none of them. There is this magical invention called insurance which is designed to allocate costs more fairly in this situation. Want to own lots of dangerous guns? Buy more insurance. This is not difficult.

B-Bob likes this.
  17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Does anyone have an update on the Google cheeseburger?

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

We dont agree on a lot, but I fully agree on the premise on your thought. I have yet to see any legislation that reduces the amount of guns long term.

I am not a fan of buy back programs because gun manufactures can easily keep up with demand. We need to find ways to reduce the demand.

fchowd0311 and B-Bob like this.
  20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I would like to remind you 8 years ago Democrats were in the proverbial seat. And nothing was done then, despite them being much more united than the chaos we have in Washington now. Blaming one party over the other accomplishes nothing when both neither will enact.