1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Much Improved] Sportsradio 610's Rocket Coverage

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ima_drummer2k, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

I agree that Charlie Palilio is awesome to listen too and usually gives the Rockets their props and a good amount of time. He basically follows the flow the the listeners and discusses whatever they want to talk about. Yesterday he was basically calling out Houstonians on why they don't get excited about this team.

Matt & Adam are also great to listen to when it comes to Rockets talk. You can tell they really like the team and are genuine in thier interest.

Everyone else is garbage IMO & not worth talking about when it comes to Rockets analysis.

2. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

NO ****

3. conquistador#11

There is life after a certain player,who wears,the same # as V-span :p
    I think they've realized that....VY610 is no mas...well atleast for now.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I still think they suck.

Exactly how many times can you talk about Roger Clemens coming back or not or David Carr coming back or not before it gets old?

And those morning guys on 610 are just plain awful. Afternoon guys are decent at best, but the evening guys rock!

5. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

6. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

I like the increased coverage; however, it'd be a bazillion times better if they could just make these two simple improvements:

1) If they're gonna interview a Rockets source, announce it well beforehand so that people know to tune in.

2) Keep an online archive of all interview with Rockets sources so that, if you miss the interview, you can go to the website and listen to it.

Just those two simple improvements would dramatically improve their coverage.

7. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

8. Weezy

Weezy Member

Hmm, you know that's not actually a waste of space.

The Astros have had a successful track record of entering the post season or being quite competitive up until the last game of the season over the last decade. That's quite a bit more than the Rockets have done in the same span of time to garner anymore fans or interest out of the city. In fact the team is only two seasons removed from being in the World Series and there is a good chance of the team seeing the post season again this year.

9. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

Yup. Astros do a great job of making progress, getting people's hopes up, making things exciting, and then losing (over and over again). They're the best losers in Houston sports, and until they win a pennant, there is no argument against that.

But for some reason, they're a much bigger media darling than the Rockets (even at a local media level). I continue to be surprised to hear NBA regular-season news get dominated in the media by MLB off-season news year after year.

10. JustWin

JustWin Contributing Member

Matt Jackson and Adam Clanton are the real deal. You couldn't hope for a funnier sharper basketball show in this city (they talked about the old 76'ers teams and Bobby Jones for an hour the other night, for crying out loud!)

If Matt and Adam were a national show I think people around the country would love their banter and insight. Where else can you hear a whole show about how the city of San Antonio sucks? (I still remember Matt breaking San Antonio down to "old people and a sewer" - the Riverwalk!) Those guys rule.

11. wstar

wstar Member

Even though it's rare, I'll cut JustWin a break on his 1st post, but since when did Adam Clanton begin co-hosting with MattJ? I can only assume you meant Adam Wexler.

12. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

That's because Ted is a Celtics fan and Lopez is a Spurs fan.

Even when they talk Rockets (especially true in the case of Lopez) they keep pointing out their weaknesses and Lopez takes joy in reminding all of us Rockets enthusiasts that they "have no chance of beating the Mavs, Suns or Spurs in the playoffs...not a chance!"

13. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

The only saving grace for SR610 is Matt and Adam. The only other shows I listen to with regularity are the Dan Patrick Show (12-3pm) and Charlie Palillo (3-7pm...I only listen until 6pm though and then tune in to Matt and Adam).

14. rocketsmetalspd

What Charlie Palilio giving the Rockets props. I remember this guy never having anything nice to say about the Rockets when they won the Championships. He never had anything good to say about the Rockets when he worked for KTRH 710. I am glad he has seen the light. :)

15. Rox4Life

Rox4Life Member

It's tough to be a Rockets fan in Houston. Local media always seems to talk about what the Rocks can't do and who we can't beat instead of giving some credit where credit is due. We all know about the inevitable bandwagon that will come for the post season, but please, can't we get the guys some love before then?

16. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

When it comes to Rockets talk Charlie P. and MattJ are the best. Charlie just knows his stuff. I dont know whether or not he is a passionate fan, but he sure does know what he is talking about. The thing with MattJ is that I can relate to him. He is a homer who grew up here and has a lot of the same memories most of us have. He is a well informed and passionate fan.

On another note, the morning show on 790 is the worst thing that has ever hapened to sports radio. I cant stand it. I gave it try, but I cant do it and I dont listen to it at all. Brad Davies is the worst. Who thought that bringing in a New Yorker with a heavy accent in for a sports talk radio show would work?

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Very good points and I'll add one more: BE PREPARED for the guest. Ask the questions that everyone wants answered BEFORE you start side-tracking with dumb jokes, contrived humor and kissing up. It's very obvious which radio goofball/clown(s) I'm talking about. Sometimes it seems as if the hosts are as surprised at having the Rockets guest as the listeners. The interview doesn't have to be cut, dried and uncomfortable to the guest, but please get down to business before you kick in the nonsense.