1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MSNBC] Chilling Video if you have children in your lives.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by akperez, Apr 13, 2006.

Tags:
  1. akperez

akperez Contributing Member

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I got nothing.

3. Lil Pun

^^^^^LINK DOES NOT WORK^^^^^

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Link worked for me. Not really surprising, I guess. Our society is poised to get people in trouble who get involved.

5. ricky-retardo

ricky-retardo Contributing Member

I can not believe the reaction of these people. Even when she was saying that he was not her dad. Scary thought.

6. Lil Pun

Oh, it's an msn.com link. Won't work in Firefox I guess.

7. Lil Pun

Yeah that was the problem. That's messed up that people kept walking but at least the brothas helped out. *That is a little joke. I remember studying that in psychology, the effect that he called it. I believe he called it the bystander effect.

8. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Holy Cow. That is shocking and scary. I try to never let me kids go unsupervised.

Something I learned in CHL class is that sometimes you need to use your cell and be a good witness, but if there is a chance of harm or escape, action needs to be taken.

TEXAS CONCEALED
    HANDGUN LAWS
    2005-2006
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/ls-16.pdf

PC §9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON. (a) A person
    is justified in using deadly force against another:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under
    Section 9.31;
    (2) if a reasonable person in the actor's situation would not have
    retreated; and
    (3) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly
    force is immediately necessary:
    (A) to protect himself against the other's use or attempted use
    of unlawful deadly force; or
    (B) to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated
    kidnapping
    , murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault,
    robbery, or aggravated robbery.

I think if they had tried that here in Texas, they could have possibly had a CHL holder draw and the TV guy would have had a muzzle pointed at him.

I'm not saying I would draw on a bad guy over this, and I honestly hope I would never be put in that situation. I like to think I would take some sort of action.

And just for the record, I'm not looking for a reason to draw on anyone. Just pointing out some of my new found knowledge.

#8 Falcons Talon, Apr 13, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

#9 SwoLy-D, Apr 13, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  10. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

You expect kids to say things like that. Personally I would have thought it was just a step-dad with a kid misbehaving. So I would have not done anything. If she was saying "Help! Who are you?" Then definitely it would be a different story. It was a bad choice of words.

11. akperez

I think it at least warrants a little more attention......more than alot of those people gave.

12. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

People looked, and they made a judgment that it was nothing. So they moved on. You see this all the time, it’s because we knew it was a set-up that we feel people should have done something. But, if you were there you would have done the same as the other people, because it’s not really all that unusual. I personally see kids always bugging there parents at the mall, so I don’t even give it a second thought, I move on. The two guys who actually did try to help the girl paid attention, most won’t, that’s society.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That gave me chills, unbelievable how people literally just walked off. I don't want to bash because I don't know what I would personally do if I saw that, but I know I wouldn't just walk off.

BTW, talk about a MILF.

14. akperez

Exactly...nobody is telling you to go tackle the guy....but be a little more vigilant and follow them for a couple of minutes or look for someone of authority to check it out. Better to be wrong than to see that poor little girls face plastered on the t.v. after she's been murdered. How would you feel then?

15. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Shame on those stupid people that just walked on by.

Bravo to those guys that jumped in.

16. codell

codell Contributing Member

They were innocentbystanders. Now, you just think about that term. Innocent. Bystanders. Because that's exactly what they were. We know theywere bystanders, nobody's disputing that. So how can a bystander be guilty? No such thing. Have you ever heard of a guilty bystander? No, because you cannot be a bystander and be guilty. Bystanders are by definition, innocent. That is the nature of bystanding.

17. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

is this suppose to be suprising? it human nature to look after their own best interest.

18. Lil Pun

OK. I didn't accuse anybody though I just said it was messed up that people kept walking without giving it any attention.

19. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

It would be interesting to see how people would react to this test in different parts of the country. See if there are any differences in behavior depending on the region of the country.

I remember an incident where a gunman was outside the White House and it was a Texan and a former Texan that help a guard apprehend the gunman.

Could it be that New Yorkers are more conditioned to tune out what goes on around them. A lot goes on in the Big Apple and maybe instinctively you don't ask a lot of questions.

20. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Lower class people are far more likely to help out in this situation than upper class. Bottom line is- don't expect anyone to take care of your kids except yourself.