1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MSG Told to Move in 10 Years in the Middle of $1 Billion Renovations

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/n...html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0

2. boondoggle

boondoggle Member

3. da1

da1 Member

Good news

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I was just watching Anthony bourdain's Rome Layover show and he compared Rome's Termini Station and how crappy it is to Penn Station. I would have to agree

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

lmao, 10 billion down the drain. That should go over well with the tax payers.

6. Carl Herrera

Forget Rome. Grand Central Station a few avenues away, which the original Penn Station looked like, is soooo much better. Current Penn Station is an embarrassment.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Wtf is a world-class transportation destination? Will people go to Penn Station if Penn Station is awesome? Pardon my ignorance, but I would have assumed people would go to Penn Station if it was convenient to their ultimate destination. Someone educate me.

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Well Penn Station is effective, yet it is chaotic and outdated. Definitely needs a facelift, I guess in smartphone terms, its not very user friendly, but it gets the job done. With the amount of commuters/traverlers it services on a day to day, it is amazingly effective in its purpose. It could be more efficent however, so commuters and travelers aren't running around like scattering cockroaches when they see their train's track on the board.

9. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Sounds kinda like Shinjuku station in Tokyo.

10. TISNF

TISNF Member

Great way of describing it. I think [new] Penn Station (when built) was a good idea in concept, but a catastrophe in preservation terms.

I'd still think it would be cheaper/easier to just built a new terminal at the post office, but whatever. Even if MSG does move (I highly doubt that actually happens), the city would probably built a modernist monstrosity as new-new Penn Station.

11. afk

afk Member

Does this mean in 10 years the Knicks have to share the same arena as the Nets? :grin:

12. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

They should just move the Knicks out to Jersey. :p

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

Knicks available? Gitr Dun Moaree!

14. Carl Herrera

While the current Penn Station may be acceptably functional, it probably still is worth spending a large sum of money to make it better.

Right now, Penn Station is not only dirty and smelly, it is also kind of a maze to get around in, especially for out of towners who are expected to constitute a large % of users of any train station. An improved Penn Station can be more efficient for everyone and more attractive to visitors (and tourism is a big business in NYC). Moreover, I bet that there are business interests trying to re-develop the whole neighborhood around a better Penn Station (the neighborhood is currently kind of slummy like the station itself).

Lot of still-functional facilities get replaced by newer, better ones. Sports arenas are a prime example of this, but also office towers and residential buildings. It's just a matter of deciding whether the improved facility is worth the money you spend.

15. VBG

VBG Member

i always liked MSG.

16. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Exactly! It never should've been there in the first place.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

they got bridges inside the arena yo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Yellow

Yellow Member

That's sick and maybe a bit over the top, guess we don't have to look any further when trying to explain why the US has the most debt of any country in the world..

1 person likes this.
  19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

that's badass

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

hmmmeh.

our ****, i mean our scoreboard is bigger.