1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mr. Irrelevant

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by deb4rockets, Dec 11, 2023.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The San Francisco 49ers selected Purdy with the final pick (262nd overall) of the 2022 NFL Draft, making him that year's Mr. Irrelevant. It's crazy to think that every single team in the draft could have selected him.

Purdy signed a four-year, $3.7 million contract with the 49ers after he was drafted by San Francisco in 2022. He has 3,553 YDS 25 touchdowns, and 7 INT with a 70.2 CMP% and a RTG of 116.9.

#1 deb4rockets, Dec 11, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You know I don’t see him getting much MVP talk. He should.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Perhaps if Purdy was more ... relevant ... he would.

4. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

It's odd to me too, but the NFL has their favorites. The guy has the highest rating in the league, and less interceptions than anyone with 25 or more touchdowns. In fact, Josh Allen has twice as many interceptions as Purdy.

raining threes likes this.
  5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Now that's a ridiculous comment, even if you don't like him. Only 2 other QBs in the league have 25 or more touchdowns, and neither has less receptions or a better rating. What's funny is that teams like the Browns could have drafted him with their last pick, and saved 250 million and a bunch of draft picks instead of trading for a creep with a shady history, a big head, and now a bum shoulder.

6. Major

Major Member

Browns certainly could have, but Purdy would probably still be Mr. Irrelevant at this point and out of the league or be a practice squad player.

Purdy had the perfect situation where two starters ahead of him went down and he had elite weapons and a genius coach to help ease him into the NFL. That's not a knock on Purdy - the same could be said for Tom Brady. But if you're drafted in those late rounds, you need a perfect set of circumstnaces to arise to give you a fair shot. On a lesser team, you'd get a few starts, likely suck because the team sucks, and then be back to irrelevance.

The same could be said of Jake Browning - he was an undrafted nobody and bounced around the league for a few years as a backup or 3rd string. But when Burrow went down, he has a genius coach and offensive talent everywhere and it's given him the opportunity to shine and maybe earn himself a starting opportunity somewhere. If Burrow doesn't get hurt, he probably stays a career backup.

vince, Buck Turgidson and GOATuve like this.
  7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He’s either first or second in mvp odds, it would be basically impossible for him to be looked at more favorably for mvp, regardless how asinine it is

javal_lon likes this.
  8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Have you guys seen him throw a pass? Regardless of the coach or other star players, he can throw with precision accuracy, with regularity. Plus, he is a gamer, keeps coming and firing the ball with authority. Sometimes the "brains" of the NFL just miss it, like taking Bryce Young over CJ Stroud. They missed it on Purdy. I think they also missed on that kid filling in for Burrow in Cincy.

deb4rockets and raining threes like this.
  9. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

He's second in MVP odds behind Dak

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Purdy is a good QB for that system. He is surrounded by elite talent and doing his job.

I don't think he is a guy who could go on the Raiders tomorrow and improve them like Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes can. I think that is why people are still not sold on him just being one of the best.

11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

OK, sure. Allen has 14 interceptions this year.

12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Do you think purdy is better then allen?

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yes, Brock Purdy is in a great situation. Sure, he can't turn burnt motor oil into champagne like Mahomes.

But Jimmy G was in a similar situation on the 49ers and he wasn't in the same galaxy as Purdy is now. And Trey Lance...OK, nvm.

The MVP doesn't go to the best player. It's decided based on the results on the field. Mahomes is better than Purdy but there is no way he should finish ahead of him in the MVP voting.

Right now, it's between Purdy and Lamar. I believe it's likely the two teams will finish with 14-3 and 13-4 records and the MVP will be the QB that wins on Monday night.

14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

No, CMC wasn't on the niners when jimmy was there (and jimmy took em to a superbowl). I have no doubt for the record the purdy will be mvp, and i enjoy the hilarious awards. Smart DPOY was fun, the derek jeter/palmerio gold gloves are fun, so i like purdy winning it from that stand point.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agreed on CMC but Purdy literally does EVERYTHING better than Jimmy G. He moves around in the pocket better, he's more athletic, more accurate and can actually throw a long ball. After the utter mediocrity of Jimmy G, watching Purdy throw a long ball over a DB when Deebo or Aiyuk has them beat is breathtaking. That element to the passing game is one reason they are running the ball so well.

That said, CMC is amazing. In addition to his toughness and versatility as a runner, giving someone like Kyle the ability to interchange him and Deebo on the outside and in the backfield is a cheat code. LOL, who needs Mitchell or Jennings anymore?

16. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I mean at this point jimmy is a bottom 5 qb so ya purdy looks great by comparison. I don’t think purdy is bad necessarily, i think it’s fair at this point so say he’s probably above average. No case he’s top 10 and maaaaaaybe you could stretch it to say he’s in the 9-10 range

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No, Jimmy G when he was on the 49ers. He's cooked now. This year's Purdy beats Jimmy G at his peak in every way.

18. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Maybe. We saw what happened to purdy when he had a couple guys out and only had good talent around him instead of the best infrastructure ever, he looked like zach wilson

19. Major

Major Member

Did he really look bad?

vs CIN, he had over 400 yards of total offense (but 2 INTs)
    vs MIN, CMC fumbled on the first drive and they missed a FG on the 2nd drive. He had an INT late but otherwise looked fine
    vs CLE, this one he looked bad, but they also have the best pass defense in the league. And he drove them to the game-winning 40 yd field goal that the kicker missed at the end.

That said, CMC should be the MVP. Purdy is playing phenomenally, but not any better than other top QBs. CMC, on the other hand, is far and away the best RB in the league and changes everything about the offense. Along with 2000+ yards, he's on pace for like 24 TDs which is ridiculous.

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

If Purdy played like he did in those 3 games where he had just solid talent around him, he would be considered a mediocre qb, ala sam howell or ridder or those types of guys. He still had better talent around him then they did though, to be fair. I think if purdy was on KC this year that's a 5 win team