1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mr. Cush future for the texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jay_g0, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Jay_g0

Jay_g0 Member

I've just read an article about Brian Cushing wanting a extension to continue playing with the texans..

This looks improbable since a lot of the good Texan players are also out of contract in 2014.. I hope they keep the guy I think he'll make the Houston "D" even greater..

What you guys think??..you think they"ll let him go or give the guy an extension.?

<a href="http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/08/brian-cushing-hopes-hes-here-to-stay/" target="_new">article</a>

2. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

umm.. extension.. why wouldnt they???

3. 713

713 Member

If letting Cushing walk to keep JJ for the rest of his career so be it.

Cushing has some red flags already with PEDs and is coming back from major knee surgery.

We have to see how he performs this year to even go into discussions about an extension.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Priority #1: Sign Watt to a 15 year, 200 million dollar contract.

Then, we can see how much money we have to go around for everyone else.

5. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

Watt's on the hook for another 2 years if the Texans want to pick up his 5th year, 1st round pick option. I think they will. Cushing will get a nice extension for sure. No need to worry about these guys.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If he's not extended in the next two weeks, it will be after the season. You saw what the man meant to this defense last year.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

IMO he is the 2nd most important person to keep on this team outside of jj

8. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Cushing is going no where. He is just as important as JJ. Together with them healthy, doesn'tatter who is next to them, you'll have a competive D. Cushing still has plenty of time left in this league. He should be able to live up to another 5 year contract. Keep them together as long as you can.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

/thread.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

If I were the Texans I would use this as leverage to negotiate a longer term deal at a lower rate than he might have if all the question marks were gone.

Face it, our defense got so much worse after he left primarily because we've tailored our schemes with the D-line and linebacking core to have him diagnose plays and use his instincts to snuff out runs/find open passing lanes through which to rush the QB. If he sucks from here on, we're screwed. If he leaves, we're screwed. You can't just replace a Cushing through the draft, even in the first round it would take a couple years to get that guy up to speed.

With our core at the age it's at, I think it's a good gamble to make to sign him longterm. Plus this is the NFL, not baseball or basketball. If he sucks you cut him after a year or two. All you have to worry about is the signing bonus since none of the rest is guaranteed. This is how Philadelphia and Denver and Baltimore operate, and all those teams are concerned huge successes when it comes to managing the salary cap. It always seems like Philly and Denver have unlimited cap space--well it's because they're giving out these huge deals to vets who they subsequently cut, because they know that virtually no one plays to their contract over the long haul, but for those first couple years you're usually getting a good deal.

11. 45souf

45souf Member

It will get done, Relax people. We all saw the value in Cushing last year when he went down for the year. Non-story here

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The market price:

Sean Lee, Dallas Cowboys reach contract extension

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport and Albert Breer reported that Lee's contract is for $7 million per year, according to a source who has seen the deal. Breer added that escalators can take it to $51 million in new money over six years, via a source involved in the negotiation. Lee has to play 80 percent of the team's snaps to reach those escalators, which is notable considering his struggles with injuries.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...n-lee-dallas-cowboys-reach-contract-extension

13. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

He's not going to get resigned till after the season. He will however get resigned to a long term deal.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The defense needs Cushing to be successful, but I doubt the Texans will offer him acceptable terms before the season since he's coming off an injury.

He won't give them a discount and they won't pay what's he worth until after the season.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Cushing is a high priority but he's by no means a lock. I imagine we'll present him with a firm number - if Cushing can get more elsewhere I don't see us budging. ILB is not a position teams typically pay a lot of money for. It's a lower value position because its a deeper position. If he walks I'm sure we find a solid replacement.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If they could get him to take less guaranteed money now, I'd be fine with working out an extension before the season starts. That's not likely to happen, though. Cushing needs to be patient and show he's 100%. He'll get his $.

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Welcome to ClutchFans, Brian.

18. conquistador#11

other than the cheap shot and his working out regiment, he has been stellar on the field. he can diagnose a play with the best of them. You pay him. He is worth that much to the defense. Even if it means letting go of ninja and manning. ugh, ninja is just as important though.

19. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

20. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Cush is all but guaranteed a lock to re-sign. Some people have no clue what he means to the validity of this defense. He is just as important as Watt is on that defense. You saw what happened last season once he was gone. We have no replacement for him and if you say draft, then I would concur that you need to draft 2 ILB's next year then. He is the leader of this defense. He's the emotion and drive of it. He's also the second best player on the D.

He's going to get his, but it will be curtailed slightly due to injury history. The PED pop wasn't legit and has no barring on future contracts.

He's going to get Sean Lee money and maybe more considering he's better than that guy. I'd say 8.5mil/yr is the range or slightly higher. Where as if his health was never in questions he would be a solid 9-10mil/yr guy.

The contract may have a lot of incentive money tied into it due to his health. That could keep the cap figure respectable.

Also on Watt, We don't need to sign him for another full 2 seasons if they wish to clear up more cap room and let older players walk. Plus you have the tender year if you want to stretch it to 3.

We will be seeing old vets leaving in the next 2 years in order to get younger/better/healthier and to set up the cap figures that have been ****ed for the past 6 years.