1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mozilla CEO controversy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ferrari77, Mar 31, 2014.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

WHo speaks for "society"?

2. Major

Major Member

Wait - so he can campaign for Prop 8 and that's free speech, but people campaigning for his resignation is not acceptable? Why? Anyone has a right to believe what they want - but no corporation is obligated to employ them and anyone can "demand" whatever they want. It's up to the company to decide what they want to do. Everyone here has freedom of choice.

If the NBA Commish publicly voiced that he hated black people, do you think it would be wrong of NBA players to want him to resign?

3. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

lol you're ridiculous

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You dont find this intolerant and in a sense, bullying? This is one individual voicing his own personal opinion. In retaliation, the gay community wants to punish the company he works for and trying to get him fired. If you dont understand how this is wrong, then you are no different than those who have persecuted the minority in the past.

And its more than their own employees trying to get him ousted.

5. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

*sigh*

Special treatment=discrimination across several American states, death penalty in certain countries.

Sometimes I wonder how privileged groups get so oblivious to exactly how privileged they are---to the point where the removal of one federal discrimination barrier explicitly placed to punish gays while state barriers remain is somehow "special treatment".

"Special treatment" reserved for centuries, and still to this day, for a class of people---but for whom the label "special treatment" need not apply.

If you think being intolerant is a couple of tweets, I wish you good luck in this brave new world. I hope you never have to live through a day of what it was like being gay in either the 80s or the 90s or even the 2000s.

6. Northside Storm

again, if you think a couple of tweets = anything close to how homosexuals were castrated, lobotomized, and jailed for being who they were only a few decades ago in the "DEVELOPED" world---good luck with that line of thinking.

http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=5016775

Hell, the University of IC's chancellor got death threats via Twitter for not announcing a snow day.

A reasoned campaign to remove somebody who does not represent an organization's values is not bullying in any sense of the word. Comparing it to the persecution homosexuals faced just decades, and sometimes even years ago, is foolhardy.

#26 Northside Storm, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  7. Northside Storm

Whoever the hell is active enough to give a damn, and offer reasoned arguments that follow First Amendment guidelines.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

This is what the left does, relentlessly bully private citizens into submission until they conform to a universal standard of personal ethics. It's exhausting, eventually most just relent.

I have little desire to even persuade people to my worldview, much less bully/shame them into it. I simply don't care and I don't understand people that do.

9. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yup, haven't used firefox in years. Chrome or IE(when I have to).

11. Space Ghost

Your justification is "its just a couple of tweets". Do you think its ok for people to "just make a couple snide remarks" to gay people? The issue is its not just a couple tweets. OKCupid is rallying its base to boycott the company. This is showing up in every news feed. This has turned into an intolerant frenzy that this same community denounced decades ago. You keep justifying this behavior by stating its only a couple tweets and then you feel its justification for peoples actions in the past. Your justifications is what is sick. The same anti-gay crowd used similar justification to perform those disgusting behaviors in the past.

It wont be long before you think its ok to castrate, lobotomize, and jail those individuals who are anti-gay.

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

This is similar to the time I boycotted Jamba Juice for two weeks in 2007 when they decided to raise the price of their Razzmatazz Smoothie by .50 cents. It was a small gesture of defiance but you have to stand up for principle sometimes.

13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Those poor, persecuted heterosexual white males. Won't someone stand up for them??

14. Northside Storm

what.

mang. did you really compare a social media campaign to an eventual need to castrate people who are anti-gay.

Man, I hope you don't watch social media spiels about the President, you would think we would be heading to an eventual need to kill, and enslave all black people (???).

Yes, I am justifying people exercising their First Amendment rights to express themselves reasonably. Hell to the yes.

Now, if you want to support a crowdfunding campaign to keep Mozilla's CEO in his job, or a petition, or a social media campaign, I support you as well. You sniping on the sidelines is just honestly, I think, jealousy that your viewpoint won't convey as well.

Which it won't. How exactly is it not fair game to question if the man is fit to be CEO of Mozilla---the architect behind the open web that promises access to information for all, a company that LIVES and BREATHES non-discrimination---when he wants to shut away the rights of certain people?

You're welcome to try though. And when you do, rest assured you'll have my support as well, even if I think your arguments will be nonsensical (which actually sorta serves my purposes, I suppose).

15. Northside Storm

How noble of you to care enough to tell us you don't care.

16. dback816

dback816 Member

lol at the people defending this guy.

Would any of you clowns still defend him if he donated to the KKK or the Westboro Baptist Church?

17. Major

Major Member

Interesting that you believe that using the power of the marketplace is bullying - as though corporations and their leadership have some inherent right to do whatever they want without having to answer to their customers or employees. :confused:

18. Space Ghost

Let me get this straight; You feel if they promote this so called open web, or whatever you call it, they must be perfect in your eyes?

Lets be transparent here. You don't get to become a CEO of a company by being a humble saint. You must step on quite a few heads to get in that position. If you're calling into question his morals and ethics, I would imagine him donating $1000 to a questionable cause is one of the lesser of his flaws.

Every one of us use products everyday that exploit citizens of other countries..and even our own. Yet you are on your moral high horse standing for the "rights" and the atrocities committed towards homosexuals today. Clearly this CEO is so much worse for donating a $1000 towards an anti-gay marriage cause than those such as Apple who dont give a damn about workers in China. I dont recall you applauding people for trying to get Steve Jobs fired.

I think you need to get your priorities straight.

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

This is dumb, why do I gotta stop using a browser because the CEO doesn't agree with my definition of marriage.

sure employees have the right to tweet whatever they want, but the calls for boycotts are dumb as hell. It was like the chick fille thing all over again

20. Space Ghost

Reading comprehension fail.

Nobody is defending this guy. There are those who find the hypocrisy amusing.