1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moving to Victoria, TX

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by UtilityPlayer, Sep 4, 2012.

1. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

I am moving to Victoria,TX for a staff accountant position in the healthcare field. Anybody here lives in that area or know of Victoria much? I would appreciate any intel on Victoria in terms of where to live, social scene, things to look out for, what to do on the weekends in that region.

I have never lived in a town as "small" as Victoria.

2. Classic

Classic Member

Enjoy the new social scene.

[​IMG]

3. LAFIRMA22

LAFIRMA22 Member

I hope your good at cow tipping.

4. LAFIRMA22

LAFIRMA22 Member

damn you beat me to it

5. tested911

tested911 Member

I wish the OP the best of luck in Victoria, Tx

But when I think of Victoria

Staffing and HealthCare doesn't seem so lucrative..

But on the flip side your not to far from Sugarland

6. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

It is an Accountant position , entry level Accounting position. I graduated last year from College. 2 Classes away from sitting for the CPA Exam.

7. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Grandparents live their. Good luck bro. Worst city I have been to in my life.

8. Classic

Classic Member

^^^

For real though. If you're single, get the hell out of there as fast as your experience will allow. Aint nothing going on there except old timers making asbestos claims & bingo night at the VFW. Dated a girl when I was younger from there, she moved away as soon as she graduated HS. Said it was a hell hole growing up.

9. da1

da1 Member

I'm sorry

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I wouldn't want to live there, but a job is a job, and every city is what you make of it. People living in SF which everybody loves seemingly kill themselves regularly jumping off the golden gate bridge of all things. You'll be fine if you have a positive attitude. Worst comes to worst, you move later.

I have no idea of specifics as I usually drive through, or more often around, on the way to the coast. But that said, you Are very close to the coast so you can partake in those activities if that's your thing - fishing, boating, etc

11. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I live near Victoria (about 30 miles away). I used to drive up there 5 days a week to work at Best Buy (gas killed my wallet, but I enjoyed working there).

I never really go anywhere other than the area right around the mall. Everything I ever needed was on North Navarro (that's the name of the road that the mall is on).

It's a pretty mediocre city.

12. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

I go there for work all the time and its your typical small town texas.

Couple of things:
    a) Lunch at Fossatti's (sp?) is great.
    b) They built some mountain bike trails I thought a couple of years ago that are supposed to be decent
    c) You're very close to Port Aransas, so def check that area out.

13. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

If you enjoy hunting and fishing.....or you can learn to enjoy it, it's not a bad area. It is by NO MEANS cosmopolitan in any manner though.

That being said, it's not too far from San Antonio or Houston or Corpus/Rockport/Port Aransas, so you can get away on weekends pretty easily if the local scene is not to your liking. It's a smaller Texas town, so it's gonna be a bit church-y/white-bready/redneck. Just remember, it doesn't have to be for life there unless that is what you want, so keep your chin up and find a way to enjoy yourself.

14. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

You'll be surprised. My bro was a doctor there. He pulled in $700-800k in revenue just as a FP.

15. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

There are like 17 people there.

16. SupermanSK

SupermanSK Contributing Member

oh your an accountant.....you'll be fine:cool:

17. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i don't understand moving to a random city for a random job. one should choose where they want to live and make it happen. the flipside is that you have a job that you love that takes you to another city. but damn, victoria, no chance for this to make you a successful human being unless you just end up loving the place and want to have your children there and die there.

18. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Great opportunity to learn and grow with a great organization that is well known all over Texas. I will stay there for few years and "hone" my craft and move on to "larger cities " either in TX or CA.

19. papadrunk

papadrunk Member

I travel to Victoria on business once a year. The city recently seemed busier during the day due to an increase of oil drilling jobs. Be sure and stop by The Greek Bros restaurant on Navarro St. for dinner - the food is great. Other than this, it's a small and uneventful town.

20. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member