1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Moving forward

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There was a lot more to it than that, but yes, Fitz and Keenum were better than Schaub. The point is that win loss record can fluctuate greatly from one year to the next....and we all know the difference between a first place schedule and a last place schedule.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

"First place schedule" impacts two games. That's it.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So the difference between 9-7 and 7-9

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Joseph is getting old, expensive, and he's often injured.

LZ made a good point on 790 this AM about moving Kareem to the safety position. I think that would be a good look. Demps is an aging stop-gap and I'd bet that Kareem would have a nice Glover Quinn-esque transition to safety. With two converted CBs at safety, Jackson and Hal, I think we would finally get to see some hawking and more plays on the ball. Additionally, Jackson is a physical player and can thump for his size.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Okay, Dak gets little-to-no credit in your eyes.

As a rookie, he out-performed both Hoyer and Ryan in all their 15+ seasons. That's just a coincidence.

I'm not getting into a long convo propping DAL

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Name those 100 QBs. Obviously does not include Brandon Weeden and Matt Cassel, all those guys failed playing with the same o-line and same receivers last year.

justtxyank likes this.
  7. justtxyank

Apparently Kareem himself is not really interested in this. A reporter asked him this and he apparently didn't react positively.

If he is willing though I'd be all for it. He'd make a much better safety.

HR Dept likes this.
  8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

This isn't really a response to you in particular, nor do I necessarily disagree with you but it got me curious enough to review. I think it's fair to note when Smith's reign of terror begins too...and that by cherry picking QBs you would've given up someone else. BUT this is the list of what I considered notable QBs that could've been had.....there were certainly a few names ahead of any pick they had but the list of guys who could've been selected at some point in the draft is interesting to look at.

and let's introduce some subjectivity into the word notable, i'm just saying they at least played a few games for their club.

joey harrington
    david garrard
    byron leftwich
    rex grossman
    ben roethlisberger (champion)
    matt schaub
    aaron rodgers (champion)
    jason campbell
    kyle orton
    dan orlovsky
    derek anderson
    matt cassell
    ryan fitzpatrick
    joe flacco (champion)
    andy dalton
    colin kaepernick
    ryan mallett
    tyrod taylor
    brock osweiler (champion oddly enough)
    russell wilson (champion)
    nick foles
    kirk cousins
    blake bortles
    teddy bridgewater
    derek carr
    jimmy garaoppolo
    trevor siemian lulz
    paxton lynch
    christian hackenburg
    jacoby brissett
    connor cook
    dak prescott

Houstunna likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've told you this before, but you never seem to learn. They didn't have the run game last year, it wasn't the same team. Having a stellar O line is VERY important, but if you can't run the ball it doesn't matter. If you look at 2014 and this season you'll see that they rushed for nearly 2400 yards in both of those seasons and less than 1900 in 2015. That's a pretty big difference. Hell look at what the loss of the run game has done to Seattle.

10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Joseph is a classic cap casualty. He's 32, set to make 7 million next season and can be cut outright for no dead cap money according to sportrac. Kareem is 28, set to make 6 mil but to cut him would be over 7 mil dead cap....not just that though, Joseph's play is regressing and just stays nicked up. Kareem, while solid has never been great and whether he likes it or not would pretty well solidify the secondary by moving to safety.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/johnathan-joseph-1357/
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/kareem-jackson-6529/

Cushing also has several years left on his deal. 5.5 next year before it starts to go way up and 5.5 dead cap to cut him now. I honestly didn't realize his situation but i'd give it a >5% chance he gets cut knowing that.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/brian-cushing-5685/

11. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Different schedule. Different running back.
    Defense not as opportunistic last year. Had some rough overtime losses and close losses at the end of games early in the year then they mailed it in.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

I hope Joseph and Cushing can restructure. I know they are getting old but they both stepped up and were key starters on the "numbe one defense". As well as Bouye played, the coaches still trusted Joseph as their #1 corner for most of the season. He is not the quickest but he is rarely out of position and doesn't commit a whole lot of penalties. He may not be starting next year but I would love him in that locker room. My thoughts on Cushing are the same as last year. Who do you replace him with? Akeem Dent? Down the stretch, he was outplaying McKinney. On the #1 defense. The coaches call him the leader on that side of the ball. That counts for a lot. He might not be playing 3 downs, but still an asset on the field.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  13. justtxyank

Joseph is a classic restructure/extend guy. He is always dinged up true, but he is just better than Kareem still. Give him a 2 year deal to give him some guaranteed money still.

The problem with Cushing for me is that he's just not good enough to be the linebacker opposite McKinney. We need a coverage guy. I wanted Freeman last year, but alas...

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Not sure this has been asked but how much cap space could we potentially have after potential cuts restructures? And what effect would cutting Brock have on it? Need all the numbers guys to help me out?

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

[Premium Post]

Want to move forward?

Just trade the unathletic, over-rated loser JJ Fatt or better yet cut him

Texans with JJ Fatt - 2-14 and No playoffs or 30-0 humiliations at HOME
    Texans without JJ Fatt - Playoffs

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I knew Jayson Braddock had an account here.

houstonstime likes this.
  17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Don't be mad because he was 100 regarding Brock.

He also agrees with your "baby hands" reference regarding Fuller.

18. justtxyank

Who is he on here?

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think cutting him costs us an extra 5 million in cap space, I believe. Could be totally off base.

Essentially, it's hard to cut him this year. Next year, I'm pretty sure we can and will cut him and not have any cap issues from it.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You probably have the idiot blocked but I was making a joke about this post