1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moving forward

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

DAL had mulitple QBs last season behind the same line and they couldn't win a game.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not ignoring anything.

Before this season the media narrative was obrien wanted osweiler. When osweiler flamed out this year the media narrative changed to rumors about a divide on osweiler.

I have no idea what's true. You made a claim that there were direct quotes that obrien didn't want osweiler and that was true.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The same Texans team that was 2-14 went 9-7 the next season.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I heard more rumblings around the signing that Obrien was not actually the driving force behind Osweiler.

Truth is somewhere in the middle... but the narrative didn't necessarily change. Obviously, things quieted down once training camp started. There wasn't any reason for there to be any rifts then. But at the time of the signing, there was certainly some questions as to how much BOB was really involved.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He wasn't good last year but his pedigree was still important. His leadership, experience, playcalling at the line to avoid big mistakes, etc. no one will know but I strongly suspect if they stuck with Brock they don't win that ring.

The bigger point is that you are MUCH MUCH more likely to make SB runs with a top QB and you are even more likely to have a long period of sustained success. Which is why we're always talking the same guys - Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, Big Ben, a Manning, etc. then even if you want to be that talked about once every few years teams, their QBs are usually pretty solid also - Flacco, Ryan, Cam, etc.

It's great that you're using history as a guide. History will tell you SB winners almost exclusively have a top QB on the team - be it an all time great, a one year great, or just a consistent too 5/10 guy. It's been 10'years since we saw a SB where even one team had an average QB (I'm excluding Eli because he's so up and down).

And again these paths aren't mutually exclusive. Which is why they went so hard after Brock in the first place. They already have/continue to build a solid roster otherwise.

I'm not advocating tanking. It will never happen and doesn't guarantee you that top guy anyway. I am suggesting, as many have, to trade up (including way up) IF IF the team is really sold on a guy at the top. Or picking up more QBs via draft regularly. Or trading for a guy like Jimmy G again IF IF the team thinks he's worth it. I don't fully trust their QB evaluation but as you've noted it's really hard to do.

The Texans are consistently average. It's better than being the Browns, but it's not a great place to be. Again even with slight improvements to the defense and a better o-line, this is still at best an underdog to the Pats, Steelers, Chiefs, and other teams that have great years. It's still an underdog in that 2nd round.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When you look at history, how well have teams done who trade "way up" for a QB?

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The front office (or whoever ultimately made the call) was sold on Brock. They paid big money, which is essentially equivalent to trading up, to get him. They felt better about him than any of the QB's in the draft they could have traded up to get (Lynch, Cook, etc.).

People act as if they could decide at any moment to simply draft a great QB. There are established teams that have literally gone decades (multiple) since they've had an elite QB, yet the Texans are supposed to be able to snap their fingers and get one within 3 years?

The bottom line is that it takes an incredible amount of good fortune, mixed with shrewd scouting, and a perfect storm of other roster positions already in place to make a successful QB.

In their still brief franchise history, the Texans have drafted a QB #1 overall (who flopped), traded a decent amount for an unproven backup (who had real success), and paid a ton for a less unproven backup (who has flopped). If they decide again to devote real resources to the position (i'm not counting the stop-gaps post- Schaub that can be had any year), there's no proven formula that guarantees success.

8. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Got to play a last place schedule this year.
    Lost two games in overtime last year. Defense forced 9 less turnovers last year.
    Dex Bryant was out half the year. Cole Beasley was not who he is now.
    They did not have Ezekiel Elliott yet.
    They lost to Seahawks by 1. Lost to bucks by 4.
    Everything went right this year.
    They mailed it in the last 5 or 6 games last year, but before that they were averaging close to 400 yards per game on offense.

Give them Ezekiel Elliott last year and a last place schedule and I dont think their record would be much different than it was this year.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ng-up-to-draft-qb-hasnt-worked-well-for-teams

Couldn't find teams that traded "way up" but thought this would be sufficient enough

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  10. justtxyank

So sounds like Godsey is out. Thank goodness.

Who are some names that are still out there? Mike McCoy took the Denver job, Musgrave ALSO took the Denver job (QB coach) and Chip Kelley appears likely to join on with Doug Marrone in Jax.

11. conquistador#11

already? I thought they'd wait at least 2 weeks to dispose of him.

12. justtxyank

OBrien dodged a chance to support Godsey today in his press conference, saying he needed to evaluate.
    1) Godsey is an OBrien guy, so if he was going to keep him he'd get super fiery defensive like he did earlier about him
    2) When asked about other coaches he didn't use the evaluate line

Basically today Obrien was effusive with praise about guys he wants back (RAC, Reader, Lechler, Bouye) and said "evaluate" for guys he wants to replace. (Godsey, Osweiler)

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Should be fairly obvious that Godsey's role would be re-evaluated. Went from the opening day play-caller to being demoted in just 2 weeks.

14. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

We are in limbo moving forward. We have a lights out defense, and no QB. And that situation isn't going to change anytime soon.

15. justtxyank

Even despite that, OBrien has been extremely defensive of Godsey throughout the year. That he dodged the opportunity to be defensive today is telling.

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Makes sense. There's no need to lie in the face of the truth for morale's sake once your season is over.

17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Why though? If he would take a pay cut then by all means but why would he?
    Wilfork said he's gonna think it over but he said he's probably played his last game. That was all over the place like 2 minutes later. It's a relevant note for next season because it's an expiring contract. Extra cap space. He made something like 5.5 mil this year. That's 5.5 freed up without doing anything. I'm just saying give Joseph's contract over to Bouye, keep Cushing because he's not exactly burdening the cap and have VW's freed up 5.5 mil to play with to get a safety or something. Basically.......there's no reason to cut Cushing.
    for shizzle

18. justtxyank

Reading this reminded me of OBrien lying about an injury, I think Jonathan Joseph, where he said "still needed to go through some tests, I'm not a doctor, he looks good, etc." and then when he left the press conference the team handed the media the report that he was out due to injury.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes, with much better QB play, the '14* flipped the script.

The '13* squad lost a bunch of one-score games IIRC.

*edit- got the years all messed up.

#99 Houstunna, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  20. justtxyank

Why are you eager to dump Joseph? If anything I'd dump Kareem before Joseph. You can save another 4.5 million by cutting Kareem and then keep Joseph, Johnson Bouye.