1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Moving forward

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 14, 2017.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You're wrong. Need a franchise QB period. When texans finally get one they'll win very important games. Until then there will be a glass ceiling regardless how great the rest of the team is.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's fine, don't learn from the past, it's cool. History is just full of lies right?

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Draft a QB first round!!!! I have changed my mind. I don't have much faith in Savage or Osweiller ever being able to compete in the ranks of the teams with good quarterbacks. Even Zac looked like a seasoned veteran compared to our guys. It's just too painful to think about enduring for another season.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

You have to draft a QB at some point; Oz and Savage's contracts come off the books off at the same time right?

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Explain to me how a player would know this.......... There is no way they were involved in the negotiations at any level and I have a hard time believing BOB would tell a player something that has the potential to tear the locker room to shreds.

I have no doubt, being in the locker room, that they might have unique insight into the situation - they see and hear things that can absolutely build a case. But that they're *confirming*... again, how would that work?

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agreed. At best a player source could confirm that Obrien doesn't like Brock now.

Unless he means player as in "playa" and the source is Brian Gaine.

7. Buck Turgidson

Thanks. He's posted that several times & I've been meaning to make that same point.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

1st and 2nd rounds - OL and QB
    - Whether we trade the 1st for a current NFL QB or draft one 1st or 2nd.
    - OL needs to be addressed 1st or 2nd

3rd - MLB who can cover

Bouye needs to be resigned. Cut Joseph and Cush

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Last years Super Bowl had a QB who was the MVP of the league and a top 4 all time QB (who wasn't good last year but nonetheless led his team). Not sure that makes your point.

You don't have to have an absolute top guy 100%, but not only does it meaningfully increase your odds, it also gives you the opportunity to have a long multi year period of success.

Besides all that, while he rest of the Texans still have holes to fill, it's also already pretty solid. Yes, o-line is a BIG issue especially when you are trying to find that QB. And is address that... and QB.

They'll have other needs but with a top 10 QB this squad can already make SB runs. It's not like it's the Browns out there. Every team will always have needs.

The point is while incremental improvements can certainly be made... not enough without a better signal caller to make much of a difference.

And finally, if you ignore all that, you still have to recognize this team needs a better QB even if not a top 10 guy. How about a top 20 guy lol?

Tanking for a QB vs trying to continue to build the team and plugging in Brock or Savage next year - both strategies have high level of likely outcomes. Neither of which is a real SB run.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Right; they likely have some idea as to the nature of the relationship - especially if Brock and BOB have had public - or well-known - blow-outs. But *knowing* BOB wasn't involved in the signing... I mean, I guess maybe they could have a FO source but, man...... that would be messed up.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't know how you can keep believing that after Obrien benched Savage for a temporary injury.

He started Brock against NE then refused to bench him no matter how bad he played.

That's Obriens call

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Talking about what he was once upon a time isn't discussing what he was last year, which is garbage.....and yes, that makes my point. Any time there is evidence against the notion that you might as well not play football at all if you don't have an elite QB people ignore it and any time there is something that would go towards that narrative people flip out about it.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

-Bring in a legitimate oc.
    -Improve the offensive line.
    -Draft somebody in the first 3 rounds.

14. ipaman

Everyone knows it, not hearsay. There are direct quotes in the chronic from Bob McNair. I'm not sure why you and many others are ignoring the his own words on the matter.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There are direct quotes from McNair that BOB didn't want Osweiler? If so, please show them to me.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There were quotes McNair wanted a QB. Nothing more

17. ipaman

I watched Kizer against OSU (legit NFL prospects D) and he wasn't great but he wasn't awful either. He finished 22 for 37, 284 yards, 2 TD and 1 Int. He had a lot of bad throws however, especially with zone/blitz schemes. He felt the rush many times even if it was well protected. He's got tons of highlights against other competition but against the best, that OSU team was stacked, he was average.

Trubisky and Watson are probably gone #2 and #3 respectively and Kizer is probably the 3rd QB taken after them. Because those two will be gone so early, Kizer will be picked way sooner than he deserves which is bad for Texans and their draft spot. Don't get me wrong, he's got potential but he's got a long way to go. He will be way overvalued because the top 2 QBs will go really early.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You say that's bad for the Texans, I say it's irrelevant to the Texans. The key to success isn't a QB from a 4 win college team that can't complete 60% of his passes. The Texans may pick a QB, but IMO they'd be foolish to do so in the late first round of this class. Get a starting right tackle first, then take a flier on someone in the 2nd or 3rd. Honestly though, it's probably best to target a linebacker in the 2nd.

19. ipaman

So many direct quotes from McNair about Smith's plan and execution. Also direct quotes that BOB wasn't involved (he was on a scouting trip) in the negotiations. Also many direct quotes that no one from the Texans, including BOB talked to Brock. Only communication was between Smith and Brock's agent.

Then you have secondary evidence that everyone knew Elway wanted Brock. Elway increased his offer twice. Also, Smith was with the Broncos for over 10 years as an assistant coach and player pro director. He was part of staff for both Broncos SB winning teams. My speculation is that anything Broncos want/do (Elway wanted Brock) he'll assume it's good. His Bronco past made him over eager in his pursuit only because Brock was a Bronco. If Brock had been on any other team he would not have spend the money he did or be as aggressive as McNair said he was.

And you also have all of the leaks which aren't proof but more pieces to add to the proven puzzle pieces.

You can choose to ignore all of that but that's an intentional choice and frankly stupid.

20. ipaman

well yea it's bad because the qb class sucks and we need to draft a qb. it's also bad that even the bad ones will go higher so we can't even throw a 4th or 5th rounder even as a luck pick because the ones you would take a shot at the dark on will be 1st and 2nd rounder's now. so in summary, yea it's bad because we need a qb and there isn't any good ones and the bad ones will go too early to take a risk on.