1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moving forward

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 14, 2017.

1. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I don't know about that. Good offensive coordinators design good plays where players get open. They can make the worst of QB's look passable if the offense is well enough designed. Brock was decent in Denver and horrible in Houston. It's a combination of both (as in I'm not arguing Osweiler is a good QB) but play-calling has to shoulder some of the blame.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  2. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I'd rather "beg Kyle Shanahan to leave Atlanta". I knew he was something special when he had the Schaub led passing attack lead the league in passing yards in 2009.

deb4rockets likes this.
  3. mario_v

mario_v Member

This is everything you need to know about the offensive play calling and the quarterback running it.

4. Damion Laverne

First thing is to #FireGeorgeGodsey

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

He leaves so many yards and points on the field every game.

And yes, I know I just sent out the Bobby signal for a defense on his players dropping TD passes. The truth is that while his players drop some balls, he leaves probably 100+ yards on the field every game. At least.

Give me Savage or a rookie any and every day. Osweiler may make a decent backup, but I'm not sure about that, even.

Yaosthirdleg and mario_v like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, he should have seen baby hands breaking open and had another awesome throw to be dropped.

In all seriousness though I agree with you when you say that Osweiler leaves yards on the field....I just don't buy into the Savage truther bit nor do I assume just any rookie would be better without a better line and enough time in the system to have full command of the whole playbook.

7. Two Sandwiches

We do need to fix the line. I don't think we're that far off with the line, though. We're a lot further off with the QB. The line, adding Martin and potentially DQ and a draft pick could go a long way. Especially as XSF is improving. (Though he still needs to get better at pass protect)

I think Savage gives you full command of the playbook and sees the field better.

Even with a rookie, you're probably running the same playbook Brock ran. Though, I'd want a rookie to sit a year or two.

8. seeingred

seeingred Member

I'm with the guy on page one who said to make the team as solid as possible so when we do get a qb, our team can withstand his rookie mistakes and make a little run.

If we can fire Godsey (someone has to pay), fix the O-line, retain Bouye, restructure JJo and Cushing, and get a rookie development QB - I'll call this off season a success.

Maybe by 2018 we'll have the resources to get a QB while having a good, young o-line and a dominant defense. No quick fixes here. It's very possible that by the time we get a decent QB, JJ is near retirement and Hopkins has moved to a competitor.

9. Buck Turgidson

Quessenberry? I thought there was a slightly above zero chance of him ever playing again.

Hell, what are Charles Spencer and Brennan Williams up to?

whag00 likes this.
  10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

How much cap space do we potentially have this off season?

11. Two Sandwiches

Brennan Williams recently signed a WWE developmental contract.:)

I think the chance of DQ playing is better than just above zero, though I know it's low.

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Look at the final 4 and don't tell me QB don't matter. @Bobbythegreat

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So then we need to tank for the top overall pick in order to get a chance at a top tier QB and if we miss we tank again and keep doing so till we have a Tom Brady?

14. ipaman

No tank required. Need to evaluate, draft, and develop a QB with your existing picks. There will be options just like the last two drafts.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you have to have an elite QB like you are suggesting then there absolutely is a need to tank to maximize the chances of landing one. Otherwise you have to just hope you miracle into one and potentially wait forever for that to happen. Of course the other alternative is you build up your team to win without an elite QB and if you get one, you get one.

16. Buck Turgidson

Uh, I know that you know where those qbs were drafted. No need to make a silly argument just for the sake of it.

17. ipaman

Yes you have to have a franchise QB, look at final 4. And it's damn near impossible to really win without one, again look at final 4.

Also none of the final 4 qbs were #1 picks so no tank required.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ben Roethlisberger was picked with the 11th overall pick
    Matt Ryan was picked 3rd overall

Rodgers was 24th overall due to being an extremely raw prospect not ready for the NFL

Brady was a fluke.

To come up with a top tier QB, you pretty much need to use an early first round pick and be incredibly lucky. If you are planning on waiting till you are incredibly lucky before winning, you might as well trade away anyone that can get you a pick on the entire roster and tank till it happens.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

of course last year's super bowl disagrees with that interpretation, but when a take is hot, it's hot.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You don't need a QB, you can run the wildcat