1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moving forward

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'll come out and say first of all, that I want O'Brien to be the man going forward. As much as he frustrates me with his in game moves at time, he is the man that can lead this franchise for the next twenty years, which is what I've said for nearly the whole time he's been here. Give him the control he wants.

Under one pretense.

He must go out and get the quarterback that HE wants. Trade five picks to move up and get Trubisky if he wants. To me, that's probably the guy he'll like on tape. Kizer wouldn't be bad, either, and could fall. I feel one of the top three rookie quarterbacks will be the odd man out and fall a bit in the draft. If that's our guy, great. If it's not, we've got to move up and get him.

Let whoever we get sit for a year.

Internally, you declare the Brock experiment over. Externally, it's a quarterback competition that you want Savage to win. Yes, we all have heard that he has no career passing touchdowns. That will change with actual consistent playing time. He's consistent, which is all this team needs. He lets you use the full playbook, as well.

From there, you draft three offensive lineman. You've got to get depth and some addition by subtraction by humanely taking Chris Clark out to the pasture.

Next, while Alfred Blue is a decent back, he's essentially got no place on this team. This team needs a bruiser. Blue is not enough of a bruiser and not enough of a speed back to be huge for this team. I like him, but he's easily replaceable. Everyone here has probably seen me propping up James Conner from Pitt. He's the exact player I'm talking about. Get him in the sixth round.

Lastly, do what you can to lock up Bouye. This includes cutting Jonathan Joseph if you have to. Kareem Jackson either needs to stick to slot corner, or move to free safety, once and for all.

And finally, for the love of God, give Will Fuller a hand transplant. This team needs a game breaker, and he's the closest thing we have. Though I believe Wendell Williams could also be one. I'm still perplexed as to why he didn't dress for the playoff games when we only had three receivers.

This team has a solid foundation. I hate the we lost to the Patriots. I don't want it to happen again next year, but it will continue to until we get a quarterback.

Kim, TheFreak, Tdogg and 2 others like this.
  2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. There is no reason not to draft a QB for the future when no real answers exists on the roster.

May the best QB win.
    Hail. Goodness me, XSF seems to have become a pro finally but with Brown nearing the end of his career, newton probably done at least one tackle and I think we can cut Allen and not even notice. A guard. Hopefully a competition between mancz and Martin gives us a decent center. OL was really an atrocity this year and hopefully the last time we'll ever let two decent players walk.
    might be the only thing I disagree on. Except the blue thing, he's....not so good lol but I think Lamar being the horse just needs s couple guys to back him up. Hunt, Ervin and grimes are excellent fits as runners and receivers from the backfield I just think they need to be utilized better.
    Hail again. This and exactly this. 100.
    Continuing what should be another offensive laden draft, another receiver hopefully. Fuller really dropped that ball. Unbelievable. Braxton, another in the improperly utilized category but I believe in his potential. Strong, fuller and mumphery not so much

A real receiving TE too why not. Fiedorowicz would be an excellent #2, a guy who can block and make the occasional catch but he's no route runner or chain mover. Maybe Anderson can be that guy (geez OD was soooo great we don't even know)
    The foundation is there for sure. Need to see some development offensively and forthe love of God, a real special teams unit.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Im with you on the move Kareem to FS... i think he'd make a great one in this defense..

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Kareem would be a better SS as he can tackle. I like having Hal out there as long as his tackling improves.

I said this in another thread but I wouldn't mind giving the Patriots what they want for Garopollo. He's the real deal if you look at his tape. Excellent footwork, accurate, quick release, and goes through reads correctly.

Boyue needs to be resigned. He's turned in to a top 5 corner. Retain Joseph for cheap, cut Newton, and draft a RT in the second round.

Fire Izzo and Godsey.

I like the idea of giving BOB control. I have a player source that can confirm Osweiler was a GM/Owner choice. Smith should be let go for it as well.

BOB is a good coach. Had he a decent QB he would have taken down The Patriots last night in the Divisional round. He can coach.

Two Sandwiches and red5rocket like this.
  5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

We might as well pin this thread every year.

juanm34 likes this.
  6. juanm34

juanm34 Member

We really don't have any other option than to run with B0'B next season.
    B0'B will remain HC till his contract expires. As far as QBs go it's really a shot in the dark unless some team gives up on their seasoned vet to us.
    I'm with giving B0'B full control to see if he really is the man to lead us too greatness. Being a Texan fan will continue to be frustrating.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hell no. There is no QB in this class worth trading up for and if you don't fix the O line, there's no point anyway. Why ruin another rookie?

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

There are 3 major problems that have to be address a QB, O-line mostly needs to be fixed badly and OC that is not afraid to open the offense all these 3yd passes are ridiculous.

red5rocket likes this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't remember the last time I actually felt the Texans had a chance to beat the Patriots in the playoffs. I did in the first half last night. Sure, it was disappointing but it is a step up from last year. This team is just as unsettled (worse than even) as last year yet they made it to the divisional round of the playoffs. The Texans are building a team; they should keep doing so. Find you a QB but keep building at every other position. They might find out that the other pieces are so strong, they can handle average QB play. The Colts have their QB of the future and when he was playing at his best, they got deflated (pun intended) so bad by the Patriots, it was over by half-time. Here are my suggestions for the offseason:

1. Best case scenario in the first round of the draft: Deshaun Watson. Second best: Jabrill Peppers. Third, Cam Robinson. In the later rounds, give me another OLB (maybe TJ Watt). Can you imagine a front seven of Mercilus, JJ, Clowney, and TJ? And then replace Hal with Jabril? Goodness! No matter what happens, draft a highly regarded QB. Even if its Kaaya or My homie. :)

2. Fix the offense. Get a coordinator or a QB coach or something. This offense can't be as bad as it was without any change. There are a few available like Musgrave or Dennison.

3. Get a power running back. I love Lamar Miller but he is not going to last if they keep running him up the middle. They need a Blount to go along with their Dion Lewis. I love Grimes; Blue not so much; but I don't think either is the answer.

4. Put a tight rein on all these rumors and leaks. Very annoying and is a distraction.

5. It would be hard to see Joseph and Cushing go. I wonder if they would take less money for backup roles. Joseph was your 2nd best corner and Cushing has been playing out of his mind the last few weeks.

6. Hire me as a consultant with free sideline passes to home games and travel and tickets for road games

red5rocket and Tdogg like this.
  10. Tdogg

Tdogg Member

1. keep defense in place as much as possible - have JJ and Johnson coming back next year.
    2. solidify O-line through draft as best as possible - have Martin coming back - look for OTs first, then maybe swing lineman
    3. If there are any QBs that are available at your pick space and they are high on your board - take them - develop them.
    4. look for upgrades / backups for the TE and RB position - higher nudge to the RB - Lamar is fine, but give him a number 2 upgrade over the carousel we have behind him. I like CJ and Anderson at TE, but if there is a better option look for that upgrade.

Basically make this team as solid as can be without a premier QB starter, so that when you do get that QB they can hit the ground running and help immediately - a-la - Ben Roethlisberger when he joined a solid steelers o-line/running game and Defense, Russell Wilson when he joined a solid o-line/running game and defense in Seattle, and Dak Prescott when he joined a solid o-line / receiving core in Dallas.

I would also love to see a change at the GM position. If that means BOB takes the role, then fine or someone he respects and can work with. Would also like to see a change in the O-coordinator position, someone not so vanilla. Someone that doesn't wait until the team is behind to decide to play more aggressive, someone that can do on offense what RAC does on defense.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Move on from Rick and O'Brien.

Give the keys to a promising GM or HC and let them build and be accountable.

No more of this bizarre front office set up where no one takes responsibility.

Keep RAC as DC if possible.

12. mario_v

mario_v Member

Smh. When will people realize that the OC is not the problem, it's Osweiler.

You can have the best OC and draw up the best plays, it won't make a difference when you have the worst QB in the NFL running your offense.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How about we try it instead of a god awful OC drawing up the worst plays for a change?

14. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

To fix the OL I would cut Clark, Newton and Bergstrom. That saves about 8 - 9 million. Use that money to get Andrew Whitworth and you have your RT for the next 2 years. Yeah he's old but he's still very good. This way the Texans don't have to reach for a tackle they can draft and develop one.

Let Martin/ Mancz/ Allen/ XSF compete for the interior OL positions.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Two factors that work against you

1. Brock actually played better last year with Kubiak. It wasn't Tom Brady better, or even old-man Peyton better; but it was still better than how he played this year.

2. The few times Brock looked decent was during the hurry-up offense when he wasn't being spoon-fed the plays.

4. There wasn't a game where I wasn't frustrated with the play-calling. Things like running Lamar up the middle and only having Hopkins run the intermediate routes drove me nuts. Let's not even talk about how conservative they were.

5. The Bills fired their OC and the offense played better; though not enough to save the head coach's job. The Vikings are doing the same even though thy were stuck with their 2nd option at QB. (Yeah, I know Norv mysteriously resigned and he wasn't fired)

I'm not saying Brock is not the problem. I just think you go ahead and fix both the QB and the whole offense.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Good point.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Brock played better last year but remember Kubiak benched him for a guy who couldn't throw.

Coaches simply have no confidence in Osweiler.

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You forgot "beg Kubiak to come out of retirement".

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

Texans got as far as the Dallas Cowboys did this season.

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I think we have to go all in at QB and OL also... Hell draft two QBs if you like them like Washington a few years ago. Brock has to go and open camp with a competition between Savage and the rookie.

O line also should be addressed early in the draft and possibly free agency (I'm not really sure who is available this year)

We need to keep Bouye and possibly look for another inside linebacker.

All in all I think we are a talented team that is really just consistent QB play away from being legit contenders.