1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moving Company Question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Phillyrocket, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I’m moving end of the month and the new house is less than 10 miles away. However my closing on selling my home is 2 days before the closing on buying the new home. I considered just getting a POD due to the timing difference but wanted to see if anyone has experience with a moving company that would load everything on say a Monday and deliver a couple of days later?

Preferably not take things in and out of a storage unit in that short turnaround.

Thanks!

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I don't have direct experience with this type of move, but how much stuff are you moving?

If it enough to fill a decent sized trailer/van, then maybe the moving company has a spare trailer that they could park with your belongings at their facility for a few days. They would be looking to charge you for a few days rental on the trailer and that probably won't be too bad.

If it is a smaller move and you are thinking about having it sit in a box truck for a few days, then they would be unable to use the truck for a few days and the cost would/could be steep since they wouldn't be able to get income from that truck while your belongings are inside.

For a box truck, think of a decent sized U-Haul truck.

For a trailer/van, think of a trailer that detaches from the tractor/truck.

3. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Not sure your specific situation with who you are selling the previous house too, but a lot of times you can just pay rent to the buyer at a prorate amount for the amount of days (2 in your case?) and then move that day. It would be worth a shot to try that angle.

4. Exiled

Exiled Member

in the same boat so I decided: one room at a time (disassemble-move-assemble again and fill with it's related belongings) within 2 weeks timeframe, I don't want to end up with the usual broken/missing items and stress

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Why not just move up the closing of the house you're buying to match the other closing date? Generally the Seller does not mind closing earlier and getting his money sooner.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

It’s not a lot but enough to fill a trailer. 3 piece living room set, queen bedroom set, 2 kids bedrooms. Yeah the spare trailer was what I was thinking. Curious if anyone else has done that.

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

That would be ideal but my financing is dependent on settlement statement from my home first. Difficult to get them done on the same day and satisfy my bank.

LongTimeFan likes this.
  8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Just entered a contract on our new house while still in the process of selling our current house, so I will probably have to deal with this issue next month if a potential buyer wants a quick closing.

My realtor has suggested getting a POD to avoid doing 2 separate moves as well. Depending on how the 2 closings fall, I'd much rather deal with a POD than moving to a storage facility, then a week later moving out of a storage facility. Last time we had to do that, my piano (been in the family for several generations) was damaged.

Anyone ever used a POD?

@Phillyrocket 2 days is tantalizingly close to only having to do 1 move. No other way for you and your bank to somehow work it out? Seems kind of shitty that they can't work with you a little more. Maybe a bridge loan from another lender?

9. PhiSlammaJamma

They can probably lock your stuff up in the trailer/truck until you are ready. They have to do that on long trips anyway. But one hint, make sure the drivers bring the key to the lock when they show up in your driveway. I've seen that mistake before.