1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Movin' on up! Why not!?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by B-ball freak, Apr 26, 2001.

1. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Let me bounce this off you guys:

Houston trades: #22 pick, #18 pick, freedom of obligation from future 1st rounder, and a signed and traded Carlos Rogers.

Detroit trades: #9 pick

Basically that is C-rog and 3 mid 1st round picks for the 9th pick in the draft

Then -

Houston trades: #9 pick, #13 pick, freedom of obligation of future pick, and Kelvin Cato.

Chicago trades: the #1 pick

This is assuming of course the lottery goes in order, even though the 2nd and 3rd pick would still be good enough in my opinion.

If I am not mistaken, this would also free up a good chunk of our capspace. Thoughts, anyone?

------------------

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

QUESTION:

When can such trades actually be made? Will David Stern say, "And with the #1 pick in the 2001 draft, Houston chooses...?" Or does everyone draft for everyone else and then do the trade(s) July 15 when the signing period begins?

I like the idea. It makes some sense for Chicago. But who's worth the #1 pick in this draft? I don't want to wait five years for Baby Shaq to develop. Maybe Eddie Griffin.

------------------

3. Valio!

Valio! Member

when is draft day anyway?

------------------
    "I didn't like jr. high when I was there. Why would I want to watch it on tv?" P. Mesku's opinion about "Survivor"

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

We've got roughly 2 months of CC.net pick-trading-posts till the big day. [​IMG]

Draft day is June 27th.

... as a side note, for all y'all interested, my birthday is June 29th

------------------
    Yugo grills, Yugo mills, Check out the oil my Yugo spills...

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited April 26, 2001).]

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Both trades seem reasonable enough, it's just whether or not the teams are willing to do it. It seems that both of those young teams would be willing to trade though, so it could happen. Another team I could see trading down is the Clips, but I'm not sure if they would with the Rockets...they need a decent veteran to help out those young guys, and I'm not sure we have that to offer. And of course the Grizzlies always seem to be ready to pull the trigger on trades, so anything is possible with them.

------------------

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Well I say lets package the 3 picks up and trade them for missing out on your birthday. [​IMG]

------------------
    "Repression never did me any harm (I finally ceased to include "stop masturbating" as one of my guilt ridden New Year's resolutions, but that's a different topic)." Achebe - programmer by day, Mrs Palmers Husband by night

7. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

If I were Chicago, I would just love to get two Jason Colliers and one Kelvin Cato for a future superstar.

------------------
    Well that's it, the season's over.

Protrolls.com!

Actually starting to resemble a website.

8. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

ZRB: to play this dreamcasting game to it's ultimate satisfaction, you HAVE TO assume that the team you want to dreamcast on is totally inept. It just makes it more fun!

Why can't the NBA handle draft day trades like the NFL does? The NFL announces the trade before selections are made, but NBA trades seem to hinge on contingencies of certain people remaining available, i.e. what would have happened if Collier had not been available when Milwaukee picked #15?

Did the Rox have several acceptable players to swing the deal and, if so, who were they?

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.
    PowerbizOnline.com

9. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Trust me the Rockets knew that no team will pick Collier that early. No what if on that, Collier was projected to go late first round-early second round.

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Using the same logic, the Rocks would have to wait four years for Griffin to develop.

------------------

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

True, true. My post was hasty. I missed that.

But if we had #1, who would we take?

We need Battier or Jefferson. Maybe Bradley. The Rockets tend to draft players they don't have to teach fundamentals. But we would need no better than #5 or #6, probably, to grab any of them.

It's an interesting question. The top picks would probably be Baby Shaq and Griffin. But Griffin is a tweener whose outside shot needs work and a college coach recently said of Baby Shaq that "he'd come off our bench, so how good will he be in the NBA right now?"

But I'm not so dumb as to think the Rockets won't want the #1. Having to decide what to do with such a pick is a problem we haven't had in a long time.

------------------

12. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

The Rockets don't need the #1 pick this year, (though it would be nice), what they need is a Jamison from a Golden State, a quality player from a talentless team that needs to rebuild.

------------------

13. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I would argue that there is no sense in giving up so much to get the #1 pick. I don't think there is anyone at #1 who is a definite franchise player.
    Also if we don't make some moves via free agency then we will have several holes to fill not just one. We need a C (someone to replace Cate & even if Dream stays it will only be for 1 year and Collier maybe be a decent role player), a SF ( I don't think SA will be back and Langhi is still an unknown) and possibly a PF (If Mo leaves as we chase C-Webb).
    Now if we can make some things happen via free agency and or trading (Cato for example) to fill our needs then I would consider moving up. I just not sure how far we may need to move up to still get a real good quality player (or two).

------------------

14. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

But that is exactly what I am talking about. With the 1st pick and an extra 7 mil in cap space or so, filling the holes would be easier. We'd be putting 1 player where he wants to be and getting rid of dead weight on our cap with another.

------------------

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'm not even sure that I'd WANT to have the #1 pick. There is no clear-cut #1 player this year (unless Jason Williams changes his mind or China lets Yao Ming into the NBA). The cost of getting the #1 pick would not be worth it, since teams expect more in return for that pick. I'd rather trade up to between #3 and #6. We can still get a player JUST as good as the #1 pick, without having to give up as much. If we can get a #6-8 pick, I'd love to get Battier. But we should wait and see how he does in the predraft camps and in workouts. Maybe he'll slide closer to #13. Rudy LOVES him.

------------------