1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Wolverine 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'd heard about this a few months back. It's being directed by Darren Aronofsky, who has made nothing but good stuff. The first wolvie broke my heart with it's absolute suckitude.

Anyway, it looks like they are basing it on the Claremont/Miller (Frank Miller of 300 and Sin City) miniseries. It's what I was hoping for....

[​IMG]

link

Hugh Jackman to Wolverine fans: ‘The planets are finally aligned to make a great movie’
    Feb. 01, 2011 | 6:38 a.m.

Hugh Jackman got on the phone Monday to talk to our Geoff Boucher about his upcoming projects. Here’s what he had to say about his return to the metal-clawed mutant persona that has been the signature role of his Hollywood career.

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. (Fox)

Geoff Boucher: I remember coming by your office back in the summer of 2009, and you were already talking about your hopes of making a movie out of Marvel’s 1982 ”Wolverine” miniseries, the classic by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller. And now you’re doing just that — and with director Darren Aronofsky, of all people. You must be thrilled.

Hugh Jackman: I’m really, really pumped about it. I feel like all the planets are finally aligned to make a great movie. We finally have the character and with this mythology — ever since [the 2000 Bryan Singer film] “X-Men,” when I was kind of hanging around and reading all these comics, because I was cast before I ever read any X-Men comics, so I was trying to get my hands on everything. I remember saying to [producer] Lauren Shuler Donner, “Lauren, I don’t know about you, but I’ve seen this Japanese story, and I think it’s so good. It’s just genius, it’s brilliant.” And we kind of always talked about it from there on. I sort of even wanted to do that in the third X-Men movie at first, but we thought, no, we really need to establish who he is at first, and we did that [with "X-Men Origins: Wolverine"], and now this is sort of the cherry on top, to finally do it and have Darren Aronofsky direct it. I love his gung-ho attitude toward it and great vision. Straight off, it’s not a sequel, it’s a stand-alone, and I think we’re going to make one that people will describe as the best of the bunch.

Frank Miller's Wolverine in a vintage bit of action. (Marvel Comics)

GB: Well, it better be, right? I mean with that revered source material and the director of “Black Swan” and “The Wrestler” — not to mention a script by Christopher McQuarrie, who wrote “The Usual Suspects” – the expectations are going to be pretty high for this one.

HJ: Right, absolutely, and Chris McQuarrie has done a script that is just phenomenal. I read a story once that said that he wrote “The Usual Suspects” in 15 days, and with this one he said to me, “I just knew what I wanted, and it came out real easy.” And he’s done an unbelievable job with it, and with Darren it’s just really exciting. I’m as excited as anybody to see what we come up with. I know we’re going to be met with huge expectations. The expectations will be high, but he’s one of the great filmmakers out there. I worked with him before [on "The Fountain"], and I knew as soon as I met him that he should be doing movies like this. He’s been looking a long time, and I’ve asked him to do other ones, and this time it worked out. I’m beyond thrilled.

GB: Are you going to have to go back to that intense diet, eating whole chickens so you can get that muscle mass back up?

HJ: I’m on it right now, mate, already doing it. It’s 6,000 calories a day, it’s rough.

GB: How much you weighing?

HJ: Right now, I’m at 210.

GB: Wow, so you’re going to be bigger this time? Last time, you looked about, what, 190?

HJ: Yeah, right, I was 190, something like that. I don’t know how much I want to give away about it, but Darren said with the last one, ‘Hey you looked great, but you’re so tall that in those long shots you looked kind of like Clint Eastwood, and that’s not Wolverine.” He said that Wolverine, in the comics, is powerful, stocky, you know, he’s short and thick. So he said, ‘I want you to go there, get bigger.’ He’s going to come down after he gets done with all the black-tie events over and done with.

GB: That’s interesting because in comics, sure, Wolverine is quite short and almost hunched over at times, a sort of feral posture, and he’s bulky up high – he’s like the nasty bulldog of superheroes.

HJ: Yeah, he’s thick and it’s chunky and it’s powerful. I always think of Mike Tyson when he first came on the scene. Sometimes, he was a full foot shorter than his opponents and bent over [with this] massive build. There’s real power. You said bulldog, and that’s it exactly. Exactly. That’s what I’m going for, and if I have a massive heart attack first, well, you tell everyone what I was going for.

GB: Well, if you die that’s not really an issue, they can just use CG these days.

HJ: That’s right, just take the four movies and the Oscars hosting and mix them together and they should have enough.​

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Be hard to make a worse one....it would have to sink to Robocop 2 levels.

Best of luck to them, it would be nice for Wolverine to have a strong film instead of a GI Joe type money grab.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The Superhero genre is about to fall flat on its face with the Green Lanterns and Thor's, etc...

this one is gonna bring em back.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

My expectations were ultra low for Origins for it to be a movie that I didn't **** on in the internet.

Maybe I can watch this with Comic Book Guy glasses on.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

One of my Fav Series.
    I think it would translate into a movie quite well.

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  6. Xerobull

I love that comic. One of my all-time favorites, too. Came out before wolverine was a guest star in 30 comics a month. It was a one-shot.

7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Yay Wolverine 5!!! :rolleyes: Hey Fox, there are other Marvel mutants.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Do they own the rights to all of them? It is true, there are a lot of minor characters in the Marvel Universe with GREAT story arches that could translate well into a movie. Oh well.

9. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Fox managed to make Origins outsuck X-Men 3 which is pretty remarkable. Will probably skip.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I did not think this was a sequel

I heard they were making this one while compltely disregarding the previous crappy one

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I believe they own the rights to all of the X-characters. That should include everyone from the X-men, Weapon X, X-factor, the Brotherhood, etc. Hence the use of John Wraith in Origins. I don't know where Namor falls on the rights issue, but most other mutants have some affiliation to the X-books outside of Molly Hayes and her parents from Runaways.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Origins seemed a bit rushed and a bit bad CGI
    but
    Overall it was a solid 7 out of 10.

Could have been alot better.
    I think expectations were a bit high as well.

Rocket River

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it would be nice if they took the kiddy gloves off and let wolverine just wreck havoc. It just always seems like he's been too contained

14. Xerobull

It's not. It's a standalone movie with wolverine just doing what he does best.

15. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Aronofsky directing will make me watch it when it comes out, Origins was one of the worse movies I'd ever sat through.

I've always been curious what Aronofsky would have done with Batman.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I have a good feeling about this one. The first one was horrible.

17. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

I hope he makes it all Black Swan-y.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

When I first saw X-Men 3 (Last Stand?) and XMen Origins Wolverine, I was sorely disappointed, especially after XMen 2. Going back to them now, I like them better than I did at first, maybe because I was coming at them with diminished expectations.

But I'm fairly psyched for this new movie.

P.S. Thanks for posting that old comic. Reminds me of 1976 when comics (and, too, by the way, Dolly Madison fruit pies) cost only a quarter each.

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

[​IMG]

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

where did they film Robocop 2? oh yeah.... ;)