1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Warcraft

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by daywalker02, Jul 12, 2015.

1. jbasket

jbasket Member

Considering the film was co-produced by Wanda basically, which is a Chinese company, I have no concern about a WC sequel (if it happens) being released in this market.

But outside this scope, it really is a bummer.

According to the main Chinese film website, viewers are giving it an average of an 8.1 rating. My source here is word of mouth, and I'll check up on that. With this movie however, the franchise was already established with WoW (years and years of firm roots into culture). There was no need for a previous movie, and based on the success of this release, and the rapid expansion of the movie market there, I find it reasonable that one can expect another "roaring" success for a WC sequel. Of all the worries for the sequel (domestic box office), I think the Chinese audience is down on the list.

Outside the scope of WC, I think these are very good points however.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the European fans are equally important here, about 100 million is from Europe

A special shoutout to fans in Germany, Russia, France, to an extent Italy, UK and Spain.

Those guys were phenomenal.

3. jbasket

jbasket Member

Better critic reviews.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's great that the foreign market has become so huge, and that it can be clearly different from our own, in a good way. For example, imagine if my most famous film, Blade Runner, were to open in today's market. In 1982, it was considered a flop. Yes, I loved it and SF fans loved it, but the general audience simply couldn't figure it out. It didn't help that the studio made Ridley Scott add my voice over (as if I'd be verbalizing what I'm doing while blasting several androids and boinking the great looking one - I have standards!), but imagine the same flick coming out today. I think the foreign market, especially in Asia, would be huge. So instead of being a financial boondoggle that became a cult classic, it would have raked in the money and still become the classic science fiction film that later influenced untold numbers of creative people in the genre.

In other words, the big foreign market of today can help certain films be successful, good films, that fell through the cracks in the American market, the market that every film has depended on for success, until now.

5. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Thanks for the insight again. However, I'm more inclined to agree with Forbes analysis that China alone can't make it a hit.

I'm not questioning the demand for Warcraft in China or if a sequel should be in order. Again, Warcraft is still technically an established IP. My concern is how Hollywood will respond to such lopsided box office performance and start catering new IP solely to Chinese audiences.

You simply can't sidestep a domestic audience in favor of an international one. Otherwise, it becomes a vicious cycle. Hollywood creates movies for Chinese audiences that bomb at the US box office. In turn, Chinese audience realize it's not hip in the West and demand something else.

That is exactly what happened to the film industry with the crash of Epics and Musicals, which led to the rise of New Hollywood and the Blockbuster with Jaws.

I'm just saying China is the new wild west of films and there are going be a lot of crash and burns before Hollywood learns its lesson again. But I must admit I am fascinated about how all of this will turn out. Will Hollywood fragment in to two camps of movies? One for American audiences and another for Chinese?

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I absolutely think you can fault a studio for that. If Marvel can make an Ant-Man movie that resonates with critics, than a Warcraft film has no excuse.

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

I have seen the analysis, and it is interesting to compare the numbers. However, as much as it is a success in China, it opened number one in nearly all other international countries and has been a major hit across the globe as well. Based on the reviews & GA reactions, it is *relatively* safe to say there will be a similar, if not greater, turnout for a sequel in Europe, etc. China is not alone making it a hit. (Also, Sunday was a workday in China I believe. 11 mil ain't bad.) Also, it is mainly financed by Chinese investors and Wanda, thus making this an unique case study.

To answer your other question, it probably will fragment into two camps, with Europe being the happy medium. The audience needs are much different. I'm probably speaking out of my *** here, like I often do anyways :)

What I meant to say was that if one was to pick between the two, one would choose the GA. Let me rephrase that.

And the studio was expecting the sort. Rightly so: some critics are calling it racist, others are giving it 0/10 stars, and even others calling it the "Worst movie of all time." In addition, critics also broke the review embargo 5 days before it was over (great integrity, guys). Is it really the worst movie of all time? As bad as battlefield earth? Goodness no, and that is evident from the people even here on CF who have rated the movie.

It's just easy to hate on the video game movies; an uphill battle. Heck, here is an interview from a "critic": (spoiler)

https://vid.me/6R4V

Sometimes, you just don't know with these guys, and the studio had to make the choice. Hard to fault the studio for the above and more ^

Marvel is on a roll with their releases.

Good points, although I have no idea what that movie is :D
    It also eliminates the very influential, (basically) monopoly domestic critics had over the success of a movie.

#187 jbasket, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

jbasket, blade runner is an instant classic

If you have not watched it yet, I recommend it to you.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There would be 2 trilogies with Blade 7 coming next year.

10. jbasket

jbasket Member

Added to my movie list.

11. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Finally got a chance to see this today. I can honestly say I was entertained and it was actually better than I expected. I took my younger son to see it, he has no idea of the story of Warcraft and he loved it. I had to go over the story parts they left out to fill in the blanks but overall he has little trouble following what was going on. I thought the acting was fine. I enjoyed Khadgar and Lothar. Medivh kind of bothered me, I'm not sure if it was the hippyesque look he had or what, but he was not what I anticipated. I also thought Lane was not extremely kingly looking. The first time they showed him I thought it was younger Rehnolm from the IT crowd. I thought the Orcs were well done and the CGI was really really good. I wish they had done a bit more with Blackhand but I thought they told the story from the Orc POV very well. It is absolutely, by a mile, the best video game movie I have seen (although the bar was not very highly set before).

12. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Just watched this also and I enjoyed it. The pacing wasn't so great but I found it entertaining nonetheless. 3.5/5

Paula Patton ;)

13. Rodsolus

Rodsolus Member

I have to agree with Snow and Castor, the movie is highly entertaining. I went into this movie knowing the lore and also knowing movies never follow the real story because it would be hard to fit it in a movie time span. The acting was good enough, visuals were amazing, and the action was pretty awesome. If you're looking for a really deep story... read the books, if your want to see some really cool action then you'll enjoy this movie.

14. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Damn damn damn damn damn do I love me some Blade Runner. Sorry, I know it has nothing to do with WOW.

1 person likes this.
  15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Made over 150 million in China alone, in ten years us market might be just secondary and Over sea market will be the primary target.

16. jbasket

jbasket Member

Thanks y'all for the positive feedback :)

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Ain't it the truth? Give "them" time. I've heard that Ridley Scott is selling out and doing some sort of sequel, reboot, or whatever god-awful monstrosity it will turn out to be. They asked me to be in it, but I told them to offer a HELL of a lot more money.

;-)-

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Different taste. Finding Dory for instance is only solid in China while it probably would be a hit in North America. DeGeneres is just ugh.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">WARCRAFT earned est. ¥41M ($6.2M) on Friday, -80% from last Friday. China's total stands at ¥1.228B ($186.4M). <a href="https://t.co/lyTN9YV5I2">pic.twitter.com/lyTN9YV5I2</a></p>&mdash; China Box Office (@ChinaBoxOffice) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChinaBoxOffice/status/743837969300201476">June 17, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">FINDING DORY debuted on Friday with est. ¥24.6M ($3.7M). <a href="https://t.co/EdIHP4duKK">pic.twitter.com/EdIHP4duKK</a></p>&mdash; China Box Office (@ChinaBoxOffice) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChinaBoxOffice/status/743837171744972800">June 17, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. jbasket

jbasket Member

I'm not sure what to make of those numbers from China...