1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] The Avengers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rcoleman15, Jun 25, 2008.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

something that can be an issue for an Avengers 2 I heard on the radio this morning:

RDJ received 50 million (and could go higher) for his role as Tony Stark/Iron Man in Avengers because he had negotiated a back end deal (meaning he was getting a % of a film gross)

All the other main cast members did not do this and received anywhere from 2-4 million for their roles.

There is no reason to believe that a sequel to the Avengers wouldn't gross just as much as the original provided that Whedon is on the project in the same role if all the other man actors ask for the same it may force disney to recast much like how they did with Terrance Howard in the first Iron Man (who was paid more than anyone else in the film)

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

So is he overrated like the Teflon Don?

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Can those actors get that money anywhere else though? Its one thing for RDJ to be making more, but if the rest of the cast cant garner more money on the open market what room do they have to negotiate? Nobody on that cast has the star power of RDJ now that Norton is gone. And I'm not even sure Norton appeals to the masses.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think you severely overrate Black Panther and underrate Captain America.

Panther is just a human who is augmented to basically the levels of Captain America. Captain America is an expert tactician and Panther is an expert hand to hand fighter. Neither one would do much against Thanos as they are both hand to hand fighters with Human level strength. Captain America might be able to help organize the battle plan I guess.

If anything, Captain America would be more effective as at least his shiny shield might serve as a distraction to Thanos for a minute or two.

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

they can i mean while the hulk has been re-cast 3 times already guys like chris evans, chris hemsworth, sam jackson etc people already have them associated with their characters so it would be weird to change that all of a sudden people do not like sudden changes in actors for main characters.

RDJ probably would have gotten the same deal but this is what he negotiated and he got 50 million probably because of the crazy run it went on the first 2 weeks of its release shattering records I am sure the studio thought he may have gotten just as much or maybe a little more than the rest of the actors so they agreed because as I mention he was relatively speaking underpaid for Iron Man.

The other actors have a bit more leverage now and who knows in the next year or two their visibility and offers may go up because of the success of Avengers that by the time a second comes around they do have the same leverage as RDJ

RDJ got his recent rise in star power thanks to iron man - i figure the same to happen to some of the other actors (hopefully see a huge rise in scarlett johansson roles)

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I hope there isn't discord. I think Downey getting a backend cut is fair, given that he's 80% of the reason that Iron Man succeeded, and Iron Man is 80% of the reason that Marvel could bring about Avengers successfully.

Iron Man: $318M domest, $585M total
    Iron Man 2: $312M domest, $624M total
    Combined: $630M domest, $1,209M total

Incredible Hulk (Norton): $135M domest, $263M total
    Thor: $181M domest, $449M total
    Cap America: $176M domest, $369M total
    Combined: $492M domest, $ 1,081

Very difficult for anyone to claim that their pay should be on par with his. But pay bumps probably are in order for Avengers 2 - I doubt even Marvel saw top 5 all time box office in the cards. That studio is FLUSH at this point.

...and Marvel doesn't even have to worry too much about recasting - with the possible exceptions of Evans and Hemsworth, they can stone cold drop any of the others out of the next film if they felt like it. Avengers has a constant rotating lineup, switch out Hawkeye and Widow for Panther and Wasp and I doubt you miss a beat.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

But...but....Scarlett J., walking away from the camera. Must....keep.

Although there are some other characters I'd love to see in future installments. Thinking back to my geeked-out 1975-77 comic book phase, I'd take Vision and maybe the Scarlett Witch.

8. justtxyank

They could easily replace Widow with Wasp or Scarlet Witch and bring in a vixen for the role to compensate for the loss of Johannsen.

Iron Man, Captain America and Thor are the three that are hard to replace. The rest of the team you could easily do away with and bring in replacement characters and not miss a beat.

Anyway, I doubt this will be a problem. Scarlett Johannsen isn't getting major movie roles elsewhere that would make her walk away from a huge payday with Avengers 2 because it isn't enough money.

9. emjohn

[​IMG]

10. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I'm a comic book fan and good action movie junkie, but the Avengers movie was pretty bad.

Cheap lines, pretty weak plot and major lack of Character development. Samuel Jackson was a horrid choice for Nick Fury and the goofy agents death really didn't seem that dramatic and they over dramatized its affect.

I liked Captian America and loved Iron Man and though Thor was better than I thought it would be, but this just seemed un-planned.

They all just are nothing compared to the Dark Knight movies in terms of plot (though Nolan overdoes the twists at times), character depth, action scenes etc.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Though Hulk isn't always a part of the line up for Avengers I can basically guarantee you he will be in the next one (and likely any subsequent ones). First off they have a very large contract with Ruffalo, and...well you've seen audience responses to the character (Avengers-wise at least).

12. justtxyank

Ruffalo already has a contract so I didn't bother thinking about him. Even still, you could always do an Avengers movie with Hulk in it but not Banner.

13. emjohn

I think we're just playing around with the "what if" scenario of one or more actors in the ensemble have a fit over Downey's significant difference in pay.

The only character especially difficult to write out would be Captain America, but yes - Thor and Hulk are both extremely popular at this point and Disney would be crazy not to retain them.

But if the group act out, Marvel's shown they don't play hardball, they simply cut you out and move on.

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

True.

15. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

I know I'm late to the party and I'm sure this had been brought up in the thread, but Robin from How I Met Your Mother looks smokin' in the movie.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep that form fitting SHEILD uniform does a lot for her.
    [​IMG]

Which I could've found a pic showing her legs.

I caught some of the Avengers cartoons right before the movie came out and was mildly disappointed that Maria Hill wasn't played by a Latina, I don't know if she is supposed to be one in the comics but I presume she is one in the cartoons.

[​IMG]

17. Nero

Nero Member

Something about this woman just gives off the vibe that she would be very exhausting in the ol' sackaroonie. Which on the whole is a good thing I think.

18. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

saw this movie again in an RPX theater, holy ****...

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

Saw it a second time. A little slow in the beginning, but since that was my first time watching it (I missed the first 20 minutes the first time around), it wasn't bad. The action got even better the second time around.

Will be seeing it a third time today on eyemax.

20. VanityHalfBlack

This movie is like 3 hrs long, and some of you seen it more than two times??? Where do you find the time???