1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] The Avengers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rcoleman15, Jun 25, 2008.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Rick JOOOONNES

2. magman

magman Member

loved it, definitely was a culmination of so much buildup. I felt it delivered, and I'm eager to see where this thing goes from here. I think Joss Whedon did a great job of balancing all the characters.

3. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Was there a huge turnout from last night? How was the crowd like because every time i go to a midnight release i get annoy by immature loud mouth high school kids? I am stoke to see this in the next few hours.

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

it's a comic book movie. i'm sure you'll run into the same crowd again during prime time hours.

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Now that I've had a couple (yeah I think it was a couple) hours of sleep, here's a few additional thoughts.

End credit scene: Like mrm I was a bit disappointed that it was something alluding to further adventures like the initial end credit scene. With that said, it was better than nothing, and I definitely laughed.

That was a great way to open the movie...
    The action in the base...and also the scene in space really set the tone for the whole movie if you ask me.

The crowd was pretty awesome, during the Expendables 2 teaser everyone went crazy when they showed Chuck Norris. Lots of general oooooohs/ahhhhhhs and laughter. The crowd began clapping and cheering during a few action sequences (I can honestly say, I've never had that happen before).

Don’t see it in 3D. It may have been our seats (we were relatively far up, and sitting on the side), but I didn’t think it added much (if anything it may have taken away). I was disappointed in that after all the reviews talking it up. The 3D in the Amazing Spiderman trailer was a bit more effective (that movie is being shot intended to be shown in 3D, however).

I was concerned about Loki as a villain initially (especially since I feel like the Destroyer was the real "boss" of Thor). Tom Hiddleston kills it, he's a great actor, and Loki is definitely a badass. The interrogation scene between him and Black Widow was very impressive.

Speaking of Black Widow I'm glad they had her speak some Russian. I just wish she tried to have a Russian accent as well. She's easily the least talented actor/tress of the main characters, but even she did a decent job most of the time.

Iron Man/Tony Stark had the majority of the funny lines (surprise!), but then again I think everyone had a good line or two.

THIS IS ACTUALLY A SPOILER, DON'T FREAKING CLICK IT IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE!
    I'm really disappointed they killed off Coulson...I didn't like his dialogue when he was dying either. 'They needed...' something or other...it just...it didn't sit well with me.

I didn't really feel like Mark Ruffalo stole the show like people were saying. I feel like he more or less fit in with the others. He did a very good job as Banner and Hulk, however. He was incredibly impressive as Hulk (facial expressions / movement). Possibly my favorite scene in the movie is his "I'm always mad" comment, followed by...well...you know.
    A little disappointed I didn't see him double fisted smash one of the Leviathan things in the head repeatedly...it's just such a Hulk thing you expect to see it happen
    Thor: I realize this would come off as cheesy...but I can't help wanting him to yell "For Odin, for Asgard/Midgard!" when he's doing his thing. It never happens, but to me it's so iconic.

All in all, it was a fantastic movie and didn't let me down. I basically never see movies in the theaters more than once, and I will be going to see this again (maybe even tonight). This time not in 3D of course, but IMAX in general is totally worth it. It was 2 and a half hours long, and I could have easily sat through another 3 hours of it. Thank you, Marvel.

Small side note: A disney rep and his kid were sitting next to my fiance and I during the movie. We thought he worked for the movie theater since he had a clipboard with him and was wandering around looking at things periodically. He asked me what I thought of the movie, and asked me for a quote after it was over. I had to stop him from leaving before the second end credit scene. Naturally he wasn't recording me or anything, so who cares what I told him -- right?

1 person likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Go to a 9 AM Sunday IMAX show. As empty of idiots as you're going to get on an opening weekend of a geek movie.

7. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I'd have to definitely agree with you on the 3D thing. I saw it last night in regular format and I enjoyed it a whole lot more than the first time with the 3D feature. To me it really didn't add anything except for the glasses being a distraction

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Like I was saying I'm not sure if it was the angle or what (the glasses were terrible and had some scratched up / blurry parts on them), but I kept seeing a bit of a ghost of the image. (I realize this is how stereoscopic works) What I mean is that I was seeing this while the glasses were on. I also felt like during a lot of the action scenes it really distorted my view of what was happening. Looking forward to seeing it in 2d.

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Thats pretty much how I felt.

Again great movie, I'll probably be going again next week during matinee hours with my brother and sister as I know they'll both enjoy it.

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I want to see a Planet Hulk (live action) or World War Hulk (!) movie. World War Hulk? Naturally it'll never happen (half of the major characters involved don't even exist in the movie universe, this would be like Avengers3), but wow that would be sick.

11. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

morning matinees are awesome :)

12. itony

itony Member

wait there was a second scene? after the
    thanos one? ps funny how a bunch of people had no idea who he was...

if so, details pls bc i left after the one above lol :mad:

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

DO NOT CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE
    The *DISNEY* rep asked me who he was. A lot of the crowd gasped big time when he showed up. I knew what was going to happen already, so I kind of lived vicariously through the other people at times. Haha, you didn't miss too much. Remember how Tony kept talking about getting "shawarma"? Well, they did. =) http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/movies/photo-of-second-avengers-after-credits-scene/9317

That screen cap sums up the scene, they're all sitting around acting like they're totally exhausted/full. They don't speak at all and just occasionally take a bite / act like they're slipping into a food coma. It was amusing.

#413 seclusion, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

So the consensus is skip 3D?

15. basket_brah

basket_brah New Member

i really like this movie, it's very very good.

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Yes sir; despite what the reviews are saying.

17. Dei

Dei Member

[​IMG]

Thor wasn't emphasized enough, though. Hell, he was practically the dumb muscle in this movie. He was iso-ed in character interactions and most of his fights were off-screen.

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Other than Hulk I thought he had some of the coolest scenes.
    Hearing Mjolnir keep hitting people offscreen while he was helping Cap up was fun, though I don't think most people caught that. The scene where he wrecked like 2 or 3 Leviathan with lightning was awesome. He also had the fight scene with Iron man / Cap and the Hulk. In fact the more I think about it I really disagree; I also really liked his interactions with Loki. As for him being muscle...I mean he is, in the Marvel universe his strength is near Hulk level -- that's not normal.

19. mrm32

mrm32 Member

So, who is stronger? Hulk or Thor? As I was watching this last night I couldn't help but think about this. Thor is pretty much superior to everyone (with maybe the exception of Hulk). I mean he is pretty much a god after all.

20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Hulk, definitively. Thor is extremely strong (9), but Hulk's theoretical strength is immeasurable (10).

I like to keep going back to this because it was such a cool comic to me: In World War Hulk (having just lost an entire planet of people, his wife, and unborn child -- and of course blaming the illuminati [iron man / professor x / mr fantastic / dr strange...others?]) he comes to earth and basically dominates every single Marvel superhero in existence. Naturally he's pretty pissed off. He goes toe to toe with Sentry (who has the power of "1,000 exploding suns"...total superman knock off...except he's crazy), and both are very close to destroying the planet. Tony Stark ends the fight by knocking out both with the power of 3 satellite lasers I believe.