1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] The Avengers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rcoleman15, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

A funny superhero movie? Has that worked before? Well it definitely is going to work next week:

[​IMG]

And by work I mean make lots of money.

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I wish i didn't see the 2nd trailer to this movie. It looks pretty good though but I would have liked to have been surprised with that story instead of knowing it before I went into it.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You can't really compare the X-Men to the Avengers. The X-Men are much lesser characters as individuals. Each Avenger is major character on their own (except maybe Ant-Man).

Over scores of issues, the Avengers worked OK in comic book form because they developed long-term relationships with each other and the limelight varied from adventure to adventure. In a 2 hour movie, it will be tough to have a coherent Avengers story with a real plot instead of just a bunch of superhero action.

I want it to work badly but wish they would just skip the Avengers and do something else.

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Exactly my point, Each superhero is great by itself but when you throw 4-5 of them in one flick, its hard to give them equal treatment on make and sensible plot line.

So far the best comic book adaptations in my opinion are Batman and Iron Man which spend the majority of the screen time developing the characters. We like to see Tony Stark more often than the suit he is wearing. Also Bruce Wayne is more affective without the mask and his back story is compelling about the bats, his fears, tragic death of his parents etc...

The problem I see with the Avengers is that there is no story to be told, at least not the human side of these superhero since each will be discussed in the solo movies respectively. So, this ensemble in this movie may just become an over the top action film with very little soul. I call this the Spiderman 3 syndrome where the creativity of the first 2 movies is missing with all those villains and subplots.

Look at all the superhero movies that bombed all had one thing in common, the lack of a compelling narrative in favor of thrills and actions.

5. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I trust Zak to be able to make it work.

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

If they use Hank Pym as Ant Man, well he eventually figures out how to make himself grow big as well as shrink, so imagine a human being able to "embiggen" himself to a couple of stories tall and fighting with the Hulk. It would be perfectly cromulent.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They can make Avengers work, y'all are worrying way too much. Captain America and Iron Man in the same movie? Its gonna work!

Ant-Man however... WILL NOT WORK. Scrap that crap before you look like idiots Marvel. Seriously no Ant-Man. Same with Thor, the history behind Thor is too outlandish and cheesy (yes I said that describing a frikkn superhero). Iceman, Angel, Beast, Vision, War Machine, Hawkeye, Human Torch. Use one of those guys.

8. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

She - hulk

Any hot wrestling chicks out there? If only Stacy Kiebler had more muscle than she does, she would be perfect. ;)

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Well said. I've used the term, "Spiderman 3 syndrome" in private conversation exactly as you did here.

10. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

So I actually get slammed with work for a day and get scooped on the mother of all comic-book movies. :eek:

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Vision would be so bad-ass to have in this movie, especially over freaking Ant-Man!

12. BullFan

BullFan Member

gilgamesh

13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Vision, Hawkeye, Scarlett Witch??? PLEASE?!?!?!?!?!?!

14. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

i second a vision movie.

i couldn't believe they chose an ant-man solo.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Joss Whendon directing, re-writing the Avengers script!

Well, now that we know who’s directing The Avengers (Joss Whedon, for those who have been living in a cave since yesterday), expect news to start moving along.

Several months ago, Zak Penn was charged with writing the script for The Avengers. We still don’t know what the gist of that story will be, other than it will involve Nick Fury, director of S.H.I.E.L.D. bringing together the newfound superheroes who have been developing in a series of movies from Marvel Entertainment — namely, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and possibly The Incredible Hulk. We don’t know much else about it, nor do we know who the big bad will be.

Apparently, Whedon is not only in final negotiations to direct, but also to rewrite Penn’s script. I’m sure some will be up in arms about this, but it’s got great potential. Whedon’s writing has always been strong (if you’re going to bring up Alien Resurrection, remember Whedon’s quote on it: “They did everything wrong that they could possibly do”), both in terms of dialogue and plotting. Most important to fans is likely going to be the fact that he’s got serious experience writing in this specific genre — I’ve raved about The Astonishing X-Men before, and I’ll continue to do so. I’m not expecting this to be The Scooby Gang with costumes — Whedon hopefully knows the genre better than that.

As for the exclusive news, Pajiba is fortunate enough to have a source close to the project who has some interesting info on The First Avenger: Captain America. Apparently Whedon’s role in the Marvel film universe may expand even further, as he’s also likely to be tasked with doing a polish on the Captain America script. At this point, we know the general news about Captain America — Steve Rogers (played by Chris Evans) undergoes a secret super soldier experiment during WWII and becomes Captain America. During a battle with The Red Skull (played by Hugo Weaving), he ends up frozen in ice, only to re-emerge during the modern era (where, presumably, he’ll eventually meet up with Tony Stark, Nick Fury, Thor, and the rest of the gang). The nature of Whedon’s script polish (on a screenplay originally written by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely) is unknown, but it makes me rest a little easier, since this project has seemed like more of an x-factor than the others.

Sebastian Stan will play his sidekick Bucky Barnes, and just yesterday it was announced that British actress Hayley Atwell (most recently featured as Lucy in “The Prisoner”) will play Peggy Carter, his WWII-era girlfriend who is also a resistance fighter.

16. worzel gummidge

There was a remake of "The Prisoner"?

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't know anything about Whedon except I heard so many great things about Astonishing X-Men I had to get the books and revisit the world of comics for a short while. It was worth it.

18. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Great news for Marvel fans and I look forward to seeing it. But what I really want is a Justice League movie.

19. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I'm cool with a Justice League only if it includes the racially diverse characters. So I better see Apache Chief, Black Vulcan, El Dorado, and Samurai. Or else :mad:

20. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

It could happen. They'll all be played by white actors though.