1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] The Avengers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rcoleman15, Jun 25, 2008.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I don't care about their arbitrary rating systems. See: guy who gave avengers 2/5 stars while giving green lantern 3/5. Besides, rotten tomatoes already includes that right below their tomato meter. Avengers is currently at 8.2/10 on average. The metacritic link you gave is based off of 7 reviews currently, while RT is 41.

You're going to do 1 of 2 things; you're going to see the movie, or you're not going to see it. So frankly, the only things that matter to me is "do critics think it's generally good?" (see tomato meter), and "did people who have seen it like it?" (see audience likes). The only one that really matters to me is audience likes anyway, critics can say something sucks and I may find it wonderful.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There's no better system for rating movies than RT in my opinion. I live by it. Yes I'll see a high rated movie I don't like (Tree of Life) but I understand it appeals to others and take solace in the fact that I made an educated viewing decision.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

I like our very own movie rating thread. Some comments/critiques are very good. Some even reaching the tl;dr threshold.

4. mrm32

mrm32 Member

This is where my review of the movie would fall in. Its a fun action movie with pretty visuals and a decent story.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Going by someone's review of MI4: Ghost Protocol:

I saw this one weekend, saw The Artist the next.

I'm neither very lowbrow nor highbrow in my movie tastes, but I'd watch MI4 many times over before being forced into ever watching "the best picture of the year" again.

As far as Rotten Tomatoes aggregate scores, the numbers might or might not mislead, but at least we can rest assured that the reviews tend toward the positive. I.e., I'll spend the money for the wife and I to see this in 3-D.

6. Garner

Garner Member

RT gets me out of having to see bad romcoms w the girlfriend.

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

RT blows. Metacritic is better. It gives Avengers a 71. Barely passing.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Lol! I do this all the time. "But honey, look at the reviews..."

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

godfather II got a 71 on that thing too.

10. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Saw it last night. Loved it. At nearly 2.5 hours, I thought it would drag, but not even in the exposition scenes. Joss Whedon really did a great job.

And Bruce Banner/Hulk is amazing. Well done to Mark Ruffalo.

11. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Great movie, awesome fight scenes, none of them too dragged out, and some good comedic moments as well.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Out of a 71-100... what would you guys rate it?

13. VanityHalfBlack

Been a fan of Mark Ruffalo since Zodiac but mainly for his performance, didn't really like Zodiac much.. In The Avengers Ruffalo outshines everyone, such an uderrated actor wouldn't be surprise if he wins some kind of award for his role as Bruce Banner/Hulk...

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd be pretty damn surprised. Unless its like a Nickelodeon or MTV award.

15. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Just got back from seeing it. Definitely lives up to the hype. I went in with very high expectations based on all of the reviews. This might be why I thought it dragged on a bit during the first 1/3 of the movie. However, that was easily forgotten once the movie kicked into high gear. Every scene that the Hulk was in had everyone in the theater with their mouths agape.

Be prepared for goosebumps and general action packed deliciousness.

MAKE SURE YOU SEE THIS IN 3D!!! It is a must. I don't know if the 3D technology is just getting better and better or what, but this movie utilized the 3D format to the max.

9/10

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dE27sIid6KU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

There are only 9 reviews on there. Metacritic is ruining the video game business btw, I'm glad they don't have the same power over movies. They just post the raw score without reading the reviews. On Rotten tomatoes, they interpret the actual review and you'll see that a 3/5 doesn't mean the same thing to certain critics while on metacritic they just put it up as a 60%.

The 60s that Avengers has on metacritic are from The Guardian and Boxoffice Magazine. The Guardian review is actually pretty positive while the Boxoffice Magazine negatively compares the movie to Transformers, yet they both gave it 3/5 stars.

So, in conclusion, you are wrong, metacritic blows donkey balls.

18. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

Chances of spiderman being introduced in a future avengers movie after the 2012 release of his movie? I feel like he and wolverine should be in another one (if they do it)

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Slim to none. Fox owns both of those rights (Wolverine/Spider-man) -- and I don't see them letting go of either any time soon. The new Wolverine movie should be out next year or so, and they're already planning a sequel to the Spider-man reboot that isn't even out yet.

20. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

Damn sucks man!!! I love those 2..
    Thanks for the info