1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Terminator : Salvation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeremiah, May 5, 2008.

1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Guess it has one good thing going for it: Christian Bale

Story that broke yesterday: It's going to be PG-13. Why are they dumbing down these great 80's sci-fi flicks? Predator, Aliens, now Terminator.

link

Great... a PG-13 TERMINATOR movie. That's what we need...
    Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. I'm a little pissed off at this. So, we've wanted a future war movie for a long time. That movie in the TERMINATOR franchise is akin to us seeing the Alien homeworld in an ALIEN film. It's something we didn't think we'd ever see.

Word came out today that TERMINATOR: SALVATION is shooting for a PG-13 rating, producers citing DIE HARD 4. Sorry, I know DIE HARD 4 has its defenders. I think it's mediocre as an action movie, but it's ****ing awful as a Die Hard movie. John McClane wasn't John McClane. He was a cartoon character.

This doesn't bode well for TERMINATOR. Why go PG-13 now? The series has grossed over a billion dollars as R-rated films. When Die Hard was PG-13ed it ceased feeling like a Die Hard movie. You can defend the film and that's fine, but I've not spoken to one person yet who has said it was a better film for being PG-13. They might have accepted it and moved on, enjoyed it for what it is, but no one can explain to me how it benefited the series being PG-13.

I feel the same way about TERMINATOR. Finally we see a future war movie where people are going to die off-screen, Terminators are going to look creepy and fire lasers that don't hit anything...

Variety cites the ability for merchandising with a PG-13 movie... Listen... aside from merchandising being a ****ty way to think about what's best for this film, I was 10 when Terminator 2 came out. I saw it twice theatrically. There were toys and trading cards. I bought those, too. I dragged my parents and my friends to see it. I bought it on video when it came out (for the bargain basement price of $40, unheard of at the time for new release videos). They merchandised the **** out of T2, so I don't buy that excuse.

I like the cast for the new movie and I don't hate McG behind the camera, but I really, really hate this decision. Bad call. Bad call. Bad call. Bad call. You know they're going to shoot a couple of scenes to put out an R-rated DVD that'll be as lame as the R-rated cut of DIE HARD 4 on DVD was.

I hope they come to their senses and not make a wussified sci-fi battle flick, one we've been waiting for for 24 years.​

Some casting info:

link
    NEW YORK -- Anton Yelchin is in negotiations to star as post-apocalyptic warrior Kyle Reese in director McG's "Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins."

With production scheduled to start in early May, Paul Haggis also has been in talks about coming on board to work on the sequel's script.

Yelchin will play a teen version of Reese, the man who fathered world savior John Connor in the original "Terminator" film.

Christian Bale will play John Connor in the time-traveling third sequel to the 1984 sci-fi action film, produced by the Halcyon Co. and set for a Warner Bros. release in summer 2009.

Reese, one of the children who survived a machine-driven nuclear holocaust, befriends Marcus (Sam Worthington), an early edition of the Terminator cyborg played in previous films by Arnold Schwarzenegger.

In "Salvation," the character is a young version of the one played by Michael Biehn, who traveled back in time in the original to impregnate Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton) and father the world's future savior.

The film picks up with their son (Bale), now in his 30s, fighting desperately to save a decimated civilization against machines that have taken control. It's unclear if the father and child reunion is only a cyborg motion away in the new film.

Halcyon's Victor Kubicek and Derek Anderson are producing with Moritz Borman. David Campbell Wilson, John Brancato and Michael Ferris wrote the screenplay. Principal photography is set to begin in early May.

Yelchin ("Charlie Bartlett") will next be seen as Chekov in J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek" for Paramount. He is repped by CAA and attorney David Weber.​

2. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Was 3 not PG-13? Seemed like it.

3. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Can't have a Terminator movie without Arnold. Did he sign onto it?

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

What if the Matrix Trilogy was pg-13?

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I didn't see the 2nd AVP, but I recall that one was rated R.

6. Christopher

Christopher Member

How ridiculous.

A series about machines who's goal is to wipe mankind of the face of the Earth....and its going to be PG13!

Die Hard 4 was one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life....and I only saw the DVD release or that pile of crap!

Now they will make a cookie cutter version of the Terminator along the same lines.....I wont be watching it.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They were R, but they should have been pg-13.

8. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Well if I wasn't gonna see it before...

I refuse to see 3 for a variety of reasons, though I have seen snippets, and that was all I needed. So not only does 4 not have Cameron, not only have they s**t on the franchise plenty already, not only will Arnie NOT be in it, not only will McG be directing, but it's gonna be PG-13 as well.

Bout the only thing going right for the movie is Christian Bale.

9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

I thought T3 was pretty good. It certainly wasn't boring. I was entertained and still watch it when it's on cable.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It was, but it sucked hardcore.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I just hope it's good. Bale is a terrific actor! Could be a great choice. bummer that it's PG-13. Would have liked some nudity, and this is one series where I don't mind the old "ultra violence," but maybe that's just me. ;)

12. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

more like:

they were R, but they shouldn't have even been made.

13. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

It's odd.

Do film makers have no talent these days?
    Do producers and demographics have too much influence?
    Will PG-13 "horror" movies always suck necessarily as Bruce Campbell says?
    Will those of us who won't see this make up for the rug rats who will (R vs PG-13)?
    Is box office the only motivation when a bad movie is made? How often, then?
    Which movies are tolerable despite being made for a hefty profit?
    Do we want to see realistically portrayed human behavior or only bigger explosions?

Is the movie business like the stock market in that if you've heard of it, it's already too late to invest? Some have the magic touch, some the midas touch.

14. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

How did they get Christian Bale? I feel like he's above this.

15. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Because with the PG-13 rating, the movie is going to gross $150+ million in two weeks... who doesn't want to be part of that?

Really, the best parts of the first 3 movies were the sequences where they showed the future war. Now, they're gonna have a whole movie based on that...

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I was thinking the other day of how good an actor is and how it seems like recently he only does good movies: Batman Begins, Rescue Dawn, The Prestige, 3:10 to Yuma. I forgot he was in T4.

17. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

I'm guessing that they signed him to a contract a looooong time ago, and then T4 got stuck in development hell. Once they got the ball rolling again, they waved the contract at him and he had to do it.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Another Terminator movie without James Cameron? What's the point?

19. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I guess I'm part of the minority that applauds the PG-13 rating.

It's becoming increasingly hard to find movies that aren't rated R that aren't made by Disney or Dreamworks, if you know what I mean.

20. dookiester

dookiester Member

and Terminator shouldn't be one of those movies.

if you want pg-13 go watch a superhero film or a romantic comedy. something about the name "Terminator" should indicate its got something to do with death and lots of it, and it isn't the sort of movie anyone should be considering taking a minor to for some good wholesome fun.