1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Superman Reboot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Keyser Soze, Sep 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

I wanted Superman to die and Zod to win. Actually I wanted Morpheus to triumph over everyone.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

So since you seem to be familiar with Superman in his current comic form, can you say whether the one we saw in Man of Steel is a reflection of that? Or can we not really tell yet?

3. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

From what I saw his current comic core and tone of the last few years is firmly in place. He was lacking in depth but for the most part what we saw in the movie was a newly birthed Superman not more than a few weeks/months old.

That said is it as broody as his "New 52" version?

No....... and hopefully they don't ever go that far..... but the Donner version of Superman is firmly out of the picture now with this more current comically attuned version we got with this reboot.

#703 rcoleman15, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

I hope they're gonna add a hot super chick. Maybe that short-haired blonde babe in a white spandex with that giant hole on the chest revealing 2/3rds of her boobs. I forgot her name... but it'll give Jontro something to fap to.

5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

The real life version of this:

[​IMG]

6. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

Edit: Already posted LOL!!

That characters name is Power Girl (aka: Kara Zor-L/Karen Starr) by the way.

#706 rcoleman15, Jun 17, 2013
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

Yes, that's the one! I pray they put power girl in the next movie and make it rated R. fap fap fap fap...

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Dr. Manhattan symbolized the superhero in a realistic setting. Sure he did a lot of stupid things, but he was human before the freak accident and those years were him grasping his powers while letting go of his humanity bit by bit, piece by piece.

The other superheroes slowly lost their humanity in different ways, but as they were more or less depowered, they were more allegories to all of us or different roles of public servants struggling amidst a guilded era of optimism against the realities of our newly found status and power.

Furthermore, Dr. Manhattan could symbolize a whole lot of other things, such as the atomic era and the potential eras following it, or even our ideal place in the universe while humanity confronts its inner demons.

Dr. Manhattan didn't intervene in the end. While he was a Deus Ex plot device, but as the atomic bomb or any other tool didn't solve human problems, he couldn't either.

#708 Invisible Fan, Jun 17, 2013
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Not entirely you. Just random comments I see all over the place about not enough romance (SPOILER: Superman gets Lois) or not having a story to drive the movie while somehow bringing up the Donner movies as reference.

And that last part, does that mean you liked the movie, but you weren't happy?

I'm puzzled by the conflicting comments on here. Maybe it's normal internet banter.

10. Apps

Apps Member

I didn't dislike the story at all, but I felt that the acting and writing of the first half of the movie felt stilted. That Faora actress kept taking me out of the movie with [what I felt was] poor delivery of her lines. Ma Kent also had some unbelievable reactions to the unbelievable goings-on surrounding her
    "Go to hell!"
    , which I again felt was indicative of poor writing.

I felt that Zod was poorly written/acted at the beginning as well, but I really came to empathize with his character later on in the movie. I felt that his motivations were reasonable, despite his amoral behavior. My one nerd-complaint is that he never tells anybody to "kneel before [him]", and being my favorite Superman villain, I was waiting for that line the whole time.

That one scene where Superman is flying around the buildings from the 3rd person perspective was exceptional, IMO. Just a great scene, and I enjoyed that brief part of the movie most, visually.

Not that anyone cares, but my final opinion is that this movie was hamstrung by the fact that it had to have the origin narrative. The first half was plagued with cringe-y dialogue (and in some cases that persisted throughout). I also wish that General Zod hadn't been eliminated so early on in the series, but with that said I expect the sequel to be amazing now that the formalities are out of the way.

11. Apps

Apps Member

Ah crap, I wish I could edit. I just realized I left a huge spoiler up there at the very end of my post. I specifically tried not to do that...

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

I agree with that last statement completely. I feel as though Snyder shouldn't have directed this movie, since it contained heavy parts of emotion. But future movies don't need to exactly deal with a story that's as emotional as Supes' past. Future movies are probably going to be 80% action, 20% story, which Snyder would excel at.

Though it's been said in this thread already, the movie's pacing was just painful. The first half of the movie was almost completely story with no cool scenes, and the second half was the complete opposite.

Add to the fact that Lois Lane was about as bland as vanilla ice cream, and that just throws the movie off even further. Her line about being a Pulitzer winner just didn't make any sense - she didn't exhibit many qualities an aggressive reporter would. The only scene would be the Artic scene with Cavill. Not a fault of Amy Adams but the writing team definitely needs to work on a good script.

"Welcome to the Planet!" was a tremendous line. [After Lois' line about the kiss]"That only applies to kissing other humans" was so cheesy and bad.

13. Beezy

Beezy Member

There's a lot of good Power Girl cosplay out there (some of it NSFW).

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Yeah I was waiting for Zod to say planet Huuston myself.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ooooof, disagree. Lex Luthor requires Joker-esque character development. Same with Braniac or Darkseid I imagine. Superhero movies with strong villains usually suck.

16. VanityHalfBlack

I worry about you Jontro.

17. SunsRocketsfan

Really??? Avengers was a good action flick thats it.. Best ever??!!you gotta be joking.. There was no weight or gravity since it was so light and was obviously intended to be.. New batman movies aee definitely the best comic book movies ever

18. Cannonball

I feel that way too somewhat. Two things they felt they needed, the origin story and epic action scenes. There really wasn't much room for anything else despite it being a 2 1/2 hour movie. And they still touched on the themes of isolationism and Superman's Krypton nature vs. Earth nurture.

I think you're right in that now that the formalities are out of the way, there's more space for character development in the sequel(s), or at least there should be.

19. Cannonball

I actually liked that line a lot.

The weird thing about Amy Adams was that a lot of the time she used the same accent/inflections that she used when she played Amelia Earhart in Night at the Museum 2. And it worked well for that film, but it was just out of place in this one. And not her fault, but they just shoved her into the story wherever they could because, hey, it's Lois Lane and we have to get her screen time. But she didn't need to be in this movie as much as she was.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

Here, lemme just..

[​IMG]

There you go...