1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Superman Reboot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Keyser Soze, Sep 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Warner Bros. and Christopher Nolan are down to 5 directors to reboot Superman

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEmLy8yGY1o7ps

Also, there are rumors of Jon Hamm playing Superman.

Im not sure on the reboot but if Nolan's behind it, this can be something special.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I heard about that. Jon Hamm would be perfect in the role, but I hope he doesn't get it. I want him to continue with one of my favorite shows, Mad Men.

3. YaosDirtyStache

I dont quite get the love for Nolan for the Batman reboots...he did something that should have been done, which was grit up Batman and not let it become a comedy routine like the past 90s versions...although his other works were awesome.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Why is everything getting rebooted? There are enough superheroes out there that would last us for more than a century.

5. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Because Superman Returns sucked.

1 person likes this.
  6. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

My guess would be most are not well known, I mean how many of you are going to go rush out and see the Green Hornet? I know I'm not. :eek:

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Think of Christian programming where they have to remake the same bible stories of Moses and Jesus 5 times a year every year. :eek: Things like Red Riding Hood and Hansel and Gretel have been getting reboots for centuries.

They can stand to spread the reboots around to other franchises these days. But good stories and good characters will always get remade over time. All you need is a new generation that isnt familiar with previous characters and stories and you can have endless remakes.

8. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

What other people said. People will always flock back to the big icons. It's almost like our modern day mythology. These stories will be retold for a long time.

On top of that, I think there's a requirement for some licenses where the movie studio has to use it every few years or else they lose it back to the comic book company.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Good points. I just think it's sad that in 100 years from now people will still be going to the movies to see reboots of batman, superman, odyssey (and other greek myths), wong fei hong, etc.

Is this true?? With contracts like these there are bound to be hundreds more of crappy superhero movies :(

10. AGBee

AGBee Member

Well Warner Brothers owns DC Comics so not much issue there. But yes, that's why we're seeing Ghost Rider 2 with Nick Cage pretty soon, because Sony wants to keep the rights. Same with the upcoming Fantastic Four reboot from Fox.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Because he absolutely nailed it. (cue swoly)

Seriously, no one had done it right..he did it right..and then some. And his other movies speak for themselves.

1 person likes this.
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where is a good "The Odyssey" movie?

13. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

There was a Kirk Douglass version of Ulysses back in the 50's that I saw and liked many years ago but yeah it's probably time for a new one. Just looked it up....46% on Rotten Tomatoes.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I loved Burton's Batman movies.

15. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Jon Hamm thing is BS.

I like how they named their most recent projects as if these guys aren't already well known for other reasons. Like "Unstoppable's Tony Scott." Um, he directed Top Gun.

None of these guys really excites me off the bat. Definitely no to Tony Scott and Liebesman. Matt Reeves did Cloverfield which was gimmicky and I have not seen Let Me In, so I don't know what to think of him. So it's basically down to Zack Snyder and Duncan Jones (directed Moon) in my mind.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I really liked the first one. But it wasn't gritty. It looked like a comic book...but the story didn't play out like the stories in the comics.

17. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I thought that one was dark and atmospheric, but definitely in a comic book sort of way.

Honestly, I think the worst part about that movie is the best part of "The Dark Knight": The joker. To me, they just completely missed there. They didn't presenting the character with any kind of intrigue, just put a lot of makeup on a superstar and let him clown around. Jack Nicholson was Tim Thomas after receiving a mulit-year contract. Saying he "mailed it in" would insinuate that he put some effort into it (maybe he "emailed it in?"). He brought absolutely nothing to the table (IMO) other than the big name.

I caught "Batman" (1989) on cable a month or so ago, and honestly most of it was just laughable. Batman Begins and Dark Knight are just light-years better... and Heath Ledger just magnified how bad Nicholson's performance was. Sad... I loved that movie as an 8 year-old.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't read comics, so I guess it means nothing to me that they were different. I liked them both. Personally I prefer them over the new ones which have been very over-hyped.

19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

O Brother was a very enjoyable movie, imo.

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

In the newer ones, they really got down to the nitty gritty.

[​IMG]