1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[movie]Straight Outta Compton

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Dec 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude if you want the 2 live crew movie so bad, go to Miami, find yourself the cheapest strip club and film some fat girls dancing

Are you happy now dude?

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

LOL, I was just offering up a different cultural take, I even agreed with you on some points.

The topic interested me because what you and KC were describing was a different take that I had only heard on TV. I hadn't really heard it described that way by anybody that looked like me.

I was genuinely interested in a good discussion.

3. what

what Member

To be honest with you, I wasn't trying to diss NWA or even make 2 Live Crew out to be greater either.

I was simply trying to offer some perceptive. I'm not even a fan of 2 Live Crew, but I do know that they were HUGE back them even more so than NWA.

4. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

2 Live Crew not even close to being on NWA's level.

Best Rap Groups from California:

1. NWA
    2. The Pharcyde
    3. Cypress Hill
    4. Jurassic 5
    5. Souls of Mischief

I wouldn't even have 2 Live Crew in my top 5 personally.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

well...one issue......2 live crew was from Miami.......:rolleyes:

6. Remii

Remii Member

Probably because of record sales and or popularity... Plus NWA birthed one of the greatest producers and a entertainment icon.

But I had to check my memory as well because that 1986 album '2 Live Is What We Are' I think only had one profanity laced song on on it and that was 'We Want Some *****'... 2 Live Crew didn't really become a controversy until they dropped their 3rd album in 89... The album the Rolling Stone article you posted is talking about.
    By 1989 gangsta rap/hardcore rap was off and running... Heck, Too Short released Born to Mack in 87, and that was his second album... NWA released Straight Outta Compton in 88 and Eazy-Duz-it came shortly after. So saying the 2 Live Crew is responsible for a different genre of rap music getting out when their popularity really didn't grow amongst a wider audience until 89 is a stretch.

7. Remii

Remii Member

Don't see how you left Digital Underground off that best Cali group list...

8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

This is why I stopped arguing with him because it is easy to see that Straight Outta Compton went triple platinum and it came out before As Nasty As They Wanna Be. You can follow the timelines of everything and see that what is once again wrong.

9. what

what Member

We want some p***y WAS the controversy that started it. LOL, whatever man.

When that song came out there was an UPROAR because all of us teens wanted it.

The fact that Straight Outta Compton flew under the radar to As Nasty As i Wanna Be, should tell you that NWA wasn't **** back then to 2 Live Crew.

But yeah, I'm wrong. And I'm sure your "memory" was a google serach on wikipedia. But whatever.

10. Remii

Remii Member

Yup... I also forgot to mention Boogie Down Production with Criminal Minded, Kool G Rap, and Schoolly D. All out before 89.

After 2 Live Crew's 1st two albums _ the folks I knew stopped paying attention.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Suburban white teens outside of New York or LA, maybe; before then you had to keep that stuff to yourself, but it was fully formed and consumed: heck they launched an entire cinematic genre out of it at the turn of the decade. There's a whole swath of New York guys who you're neglecting with that comparison, too.

12. Remii

Remii Member

Album sales disagree with you about NWA flying under the radar. I'm not saying 2 Live Crew wasn't popular amongst the white demographic _ I'm saying you're wrong if you believe that with no 2 Live Crew there would be no Gangsta rap.

13. what

what Member

It's clear that you mean to defending Gansta Rap as the true art form over what 2 Live Crew added to the genre.

You realize, or at least I hope you do, that your aesthetics don't play role in what 2 Live Crew accomplished or didn't accomplish with their music. The history proves that they were pioneers of a style that would eventually turn into gansta rap.

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Is someone really arguing that 2 Live Crew was more influential than a rap group that had Dre and Cube in it?

15. Remii

Remii Member

And you fail to understand gangsta rap was already out and 2 Live Crew's 86 album had nothing to do with street music. It was party music. They wasn’t talking about the dope game, guns, gang banging, hustling, and or pimping... Did they even use the words bytchiz and or 304's in that album...??? But it was guys out who where. It doesn't even seem like you actually listened to that 2 Live 86 album (which is a very good classic hip hop album).

And like what was already pointed out _ how can NWA fly under the radar with those record sales.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No, even Ice-T was producing gangster rap around or before 2-Live Crew's popularity.

17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

18. what

what Member

And you fail to understand that the censorship barriers that 2 Live Crew broke down with their "nasty" party music and how it paved the way for a more aggressive, socially-conscience gansta rap.

Censorship is censorship and without 2 Live Crew's idea to put out clean versions, stickers on albums, distribution of gansta rap might still be sold out of the truck of cars.

19. VanityHalfBlack

20. what

what Member

Ice-T. Did you know that Ice-T was on the first Breakin Album with a song called Wheels of Steel?

Look it up.