1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[movie]Straight Outta Compton

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Dec 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Some of these songs, I don't thino you actually listened too. 'A b**** is a b****' is one. Do you know what Cube is talking about there? 'I'd rather F you' has Eazy talking sex with his girl. The last verse is him getting the girl out of bed afterwards. You've never had a girl talk dirty to you? It's the same in She Swallowed It. These guys were telling of stories that go on where they live.

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I assume you're talking about me even though I said 1.) I'm a fan of NWA and many of their solo albums 2.) want to see the movie, 3.) not in any way critical of them from a "won't someone think of the children" perspective and 4.) asked the people who are so entrenched in defending them if it would really be so bad to admit they had some serious flaws.

So, you're pretty much taking the tactic of lying about what I said to make my points look less reasonable...I guess because you're offended someone is critical of a movie/group you like? :confused:

It's not that hard.
    1.) I think the groups overwhelming lyrics, songs, comments, and actions prove that they were extremely misogynistic and sexist.
    2.) I think it was a big part of the group's controversy and part of their "message."
    3.) I think they intentionally left that part of the story out of the movie, because the players are embarrassed by it and knew it would reflect badly on them.
    4.) I think the movie would have been more bold, more artistic, more factual, and more interesting if they had addressed that part of the story.

That's fine if you disagree with any of the above points. Though, I do find it hard to believe that some people are arguing the first two points, but there's no point in really dragging it out any further if we can't agree on that.

#202 DCkid, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  3. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Your 1-5 are irrelevant to the group's impact in its entirety. All of your "points" are assumptions and allegations that are unfounded.

You're listening for what YOU want to hear, rather than taking the lyrics in with the context of the time, proximity and what the lyrics represented. Do you know what "on wax" means? Is it possible that NWA wrote about incidents they saw, rather than incidents that they participated in? Were they telling a story?

You're writing as if you were in the trenches with NWA and as if every lyric related to a real incident. Rap music doesn't always do that.

Based on your logic, the various Tupac movies are completely factual and songs like "Hit em Up" related to events that occurred. Meaning, all of those east coast boys were dead. No, they were destroyed on wax.

You're nitpicking lyrics without an understanding of the time, the African American experience and movement and rap music in a raw, story-telling form.

Just stop it already, lol. The things YOU wanted covered in the movie were not nearly as important as the overall message and impact. Plus, your perception of "women-hating" lyrics is too subjective. Again, you're only hearing what you want to hear, which will lead you to seeing only what you want to see.

I don't hear the outcry about how The Stones, Ozzy, The Beatles etc...treated women.

Why do they get a pass, but critics like you focus on allegations rather than HOW NWA and their lyrics changed the political and social aspect of "white America"?

Watch the movie again with an open mind. If you are unable to do that, there's no point discussing a time or a group that you cannot begin to understand.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you didn't watch the movie, don't criticize it.

That's equivalent to saying this food sucks but you never ate it cause you didn't like the way it looks.

5. Victorious

Victorious Member

exactly. not really fair to criticize if you never seen it. and it just comes off as fake rage to me. is DCkid really that surprised they didn't touch on this domestic violence subject? you know why they didn't go there.

this is not the first biopic to not tell the whole story. the same reason why they didn't go there is the same reason why where you don't see many box office hits centered around touchy subjects like domestic abuse, rape or even cancer. People don't want to go to the movies and see that stuff.

its nothing new. Jimi Hendrix family won't sign off on a biopic where it touches on Jimi's heavy drug use. hell, they won't even let you use his music in unrelated films in the background if its a reference to drug use. we are talking about musicians here, not exactly the greatest people in the world.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

I felt like the movie should also focus on the lives of the other members of NWA, not just Dre and Cube. It's like the other 3 were comic relief. But giving all 5 attention would mean the movie being 6 hours (almost reaching Titanic level), which honestly I wouldn't mind. 2.5 hours was way too short. Eazy's death shouldn't be the end of the movie.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I thought that was a nice end
    I think they should have included BONE THUGS
    if they were going to include Tupac and Snoop

Rocket River

8. Scarface281

I think the main threr got equal time. Yella was funny so he was useful, but MC Ren was just there in the background. There were ways they could have made it better. They could have shown the beef between Dre and Eazy, shown Eazy discovering Bone Thugs, more of Dre working with Snoop on Chronic and Doggystyle, Cube in concert, show Dre discovering Eminem, and then ending it with the Up in Smoke Tour. Can't wait for that 3.5 hour director's cut this fall because maybe some of that is in that version.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

When Easy Died. . . . NWA DIED
    The rest are 'surviviing members'

I think that is what was great about the movie.
    I too would like to see what happens next
    hell a DRE or CUBE Movie . .. starting at the death of Easy would be interesting to some
    It won't be as interesting as this movie but there would be some interest

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  10. DCkid

How is it unfounded? I said, I think the groups overwhelming lyrics, songs, comments, and actions prove that they were extremely misogynistic and sexist. You said all of those real, tangible things...don't prove anything...because I don't know...I guess that's what you want to believe?

Yes, it's possible..and I'm sure they were at times. At other times I think they were over exaggerating and going for shock value in order to sell records? Do you think that is possible? Or do you truly believe their obviously over-the-top lyrics were basically a rap version of a Ken Burns documentary?

I'm not saying any of that. I'm saying they were quite clearly misogynistic and sexist based on their lyrics, songs, comments, and actions. That's it.

I could just as easily say you are hearing what you want to hear and ignoring the obvious lyrics, songs, comments, and actions that clearly to point to them being sexist and misogynistic.

Again, I'm not talking about or debating N.W.A.'s impact. I'm talking about them being misogynistic and sexist. That is all.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Everyone else who saw this movie and didn't hit a woman afterwards, please tell us your reviews.

12. Poloshirtbandit

I just listened to Cube "Can't Fade Me" and had to resist the urge to kick a bunch of preggo girls in the belly.

13. DCkid

Punch the b**** in the eye/ then the ho will fall to the ground/ Then you open up her mouth/ put your dick, move the **** around.
    — N.W.A, "She Swallowed It"

14. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Again, your categorizations of these men have no merit. You misinterpret the lyrics because you don't understand the context. What you call obvious is what others may call creativity.

Are all rappers who release music videos with girls in the background misogynistic then?

If you believe that, then I know you don't understand the culture, movement or that the women don't always represent these negative connotations that you see.

As for my knowledge, I'm a hiphop head. I grew up with it and I've been lucky enough to experience tour life with one rapper. It's a different world, but far from the labels you keep discussing.

We'll have to agree to disagree, and no offense to you, but it just appears that your knowledge of NWA, rap music and hip hop is limited to a black and white spectrum. You can't see the grey area or look at it as an artform of expression, and not necessarily reality.

I don't know if you watched the movie already, or if you've even heard the entire NWA collection, but I suggest you just stop where you are.

Until you have an open mind or consider the power that women have in these videos, from a feminist point of view, you'll never quite comprehend the depth of NWA's music and the storytelling derived from oppression and poverty.

It's deeper than what you're communicating, so I guess it's better to close the door and let you see/hear what you want to. I considered your point of view, but it isn't supported within the context of rap music and the roots of NWA's music. You're making it too simple, especially with your focus on women.

I'm only defending NWA's message because it was a raw picture of Compton. I'm not the biggest fan, but I comprehend the meaning and I have the experience to supplement my understanding. I don't think you have that same gift, with no personal offense to you.

I'm going to go listen to Nas and Joe Budden. But be forewarned, they also discuss women,sex, drugs,relationships etc...so I guess they must be misogynistic, too. :p

15. tinman

Supporting Member

I listened to once upon a time in the projects and did not wreck a hoe in a crack house

16. Scarface281

Post the entire verse. And this is just a couple of lines like what was said earlier and not the entire song.

17. DCkid

I would, but I don't want to get banned by posting text about a 14 year old girl getting raped by six guys in the back of a car.

You're welcome to go to the link.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/nwa/sheswallowedit.html

Also, Codman. Can you interpret the lyrics at the link for me and explain the context? Would be interested to hear your analysis of the hidden meanings and message behind this song.

#217 DCkid, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  18. Scarface281

Don't want to get banned? Like Codman said, you don't understand. I said post the rest of the verse that you picked some lines out of. The rest of the verse is this:

And she'll catch on and start doin' it on de raw
    Actin' like she's tryin' to suck a meet off a chicken bone
    And then she won't let go
    Because b****es suck nutt out of a dick just like dreino
    Get the last drop, unclog in de back
    Then the stupid b**** is at that with the same **** de next night
    Because she just can't quit
    Cuz she's addicted, addicted, addicted, addicted
    she's addicted, addicted, she's addicted to suck a good dick

What do you think that means? Sounds to me that the girl is just ratchet. About the girl getting "raped", I don't think that was what was happening. She was a willing participant. I knew girls like that in high school. Only problem is the age mentioned, but he could just be telling of what happened back when he was young. Still made me cringe when I heard it.

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The 14 yr old was in verse 2. What you posted was from verse 3. If you posted the rest it clearly paints a different image than the one you are trying to project. They are singing about freaks. With that being said I hated the bars about the preachers minor daughter.

20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

None of their songs are even close to timeless. It took the "Next Friday" soundtrack and the addition of Snoop in "Chin Check" 2000 for anything related to NWA to actually sound timeless and decent. But every song back in that 1988 album sucked. Let's just say that some old hip hip / rap just plain sucks and isn't presentable as a classic or timeless.