1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Star Wars: Han Solo Origin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 9, 2016.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am not sure why they initially went the direction they went with the directors. It was like they "wanted" to take a chance.....but then decided to get conservative and stay "within their lane." It was probably for the best. And the same tactic was done for Episode IX with JJ Abrams returning. They are playing it safe and I think that is the best thing for this vehicle. They have other opportunities down the road to spread their wings.

I think Bettany was just "ok."

2. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I enjoyed it but then again I don't take my starwars movies too seriously.

I loved it when Chewie went full Wookie and starting smashing things and ripping people apart. You knew he had it in him, but you never got to see it... until Solo. I'd love to see more of it.

Whats the point of riding an elephant into battle if you aren't going to use it to trample people? Whats the point of having a wookie as a co-pilot if you aren't going to let him rip some arms off some b****es from time to time?

B-Bob likes this.
  3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

solo was hurt by how much people hated the last jedi (which i hated and will never watch again). ill admit that i had really low expectations. i was not excited at all when i was gong in to see this but i thought it was a solid movie. lots of action and unlike the last jedi, it actually "felt" like a star wars movie.

force awakens and rogue one were great. last jedi is the worst or 2nd worst of the entire franchise and solo was pretty enjoyable.

Deckard, Blatz, DCkid and 1 other person like this.
  4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Finally caught this movie and I do think it undeservedly got a bad wrap. For what it is, it was a fun movie.

eric.81, justtxyank, Surfguy and 2 others like this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I saw this movie recently too. Main problem was that it was released too soon.

I didn’t really like the lead but I was bored and thought it was okay with lowered expectations.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

There are some people that just can't get into the movie because they can't get into the "younger solo" and Ford is so ingrained in their mind. I totally understand that.

I as able to decouple that and treat the movie for what it was. And in the end, it was a solid "star wars" story. Nothing grand. But a slice of life in the star wars realm.

I think it did get a bad wrap. And the timing of the release was a HUGE miscalculation that really hurt it.

eric.81 likes this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I agree -- just watched it on a flight and thought it was just fine, so much better than the Last Jedi at least. Loved Chewy in this film. (Stand-alone wookie movie to come?)

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Look, if the Minions can get their own movie, why can't Chewie?

mikol13 and B-Bob like this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think the screen play is waiting.... :D

[​IMG]

KingCheetah and B-Bob like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It was like what Lucas awkwardly said about his franchise being turned into slave babies.

At least Disney acknowledged it.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

From what I've seen, 90+% of the people who actually watched the movie liked it, nearly every negative rating on stuff like rottentomatoes was from ppl who didn't watch the movie and wrote stuff like "f*** Disney and Kathleen Kennedy, I'm boycotting every star wars movie".

It's a damn shame and shows how terrible these sites are, they should have a system where u can only write a review if you provide a pic of your cinema ticket or whatever (I know it's difficult, but the only real solution).

It's a damn shame the movie suffered from that crowd and a bad Last Jedi, I feel really bad for the actors and everyone involved. Hope Disney realizes that the movie itself wasn't at fault and gives it a sequel, I'd hate for that Maul teaser to not come into fruition.

Surfguy and Deuce like this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah. It needs a sequel moving forward based on the Crimson Dawn crime syndicate with that guy.

They also teased
    Bossk
    in the movie and I would like to see him in a sequel.

mikol13, Yung-T and Torn n Frayed like this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The "quality" of the movie wasn't at fault, it was perfectly entertaining, if unspectacular.

But the idea of a Han Solo movie in which Harrison Ford wasn't playing Han Solo never sat right with people, myself included. There was zero hype leading into this movie for that reason (first Star Wars movie in my life I didn't see in the theaters, starting with the re-releases in the 90's). The Last Jedi hangover certainly hurt, but the project wasn't without it's own shortcomings. I can't see them making another Han Solo movie after this one's disastrous performance.

I enjoyed Solo, but I'm not hyped for a sequel. i would rather they go to an unexplored corner, or a difference time period and lay the Skywalker saga to rest.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Same here. Watched it on a flight and really enjoyed it. I think it and Rogue One are the best Star Wars movies since the original trilogy.

I get why people weren't stoked for it though, Harris Ford is Han Solo. I thought this guy though was actually really good. Had no problem with him as Han. The only bad part of the movie was Khaleesi who just isn't a good actress as far as I can tell.

In my opinion they would be better off taking the franchise in a new direction where they don't have to recast the heroes of Star Wars, but that's just me.

Or...do what I've wanted all along...Darth Vader standalone movie.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I'm currently reading all the novels and am just angry at Disney, it was a terrible decision to remove them from the official canon.

The Bane trilogy etc are perfect movie material, there are just so many great stories and characters in the hundreds of novels, but I guess Disney wanted to market their own crap to make more money.
    l'd even be okay with that, but showing how they for example had three different directors appointed for the current trilogy and no cohesive story, it's obvious they didn't even have a real plan or thought out what to do with Star Wars. In that case it makes even less sense to not use the abundance of already available material from the novels.

justtxyank likes this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is the part that's just inexplicable to me. I can't imagine investing that much in IP like that, and then handing it over to 3 different guys to individually somehow fragment a story together with 3 different visions. Just ridiculous.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It does seem like the single most important decision once you have the IP, right? I totally agree with you. But it's quite possible their market research showed that continuity and consistency had little bearing on how much global money they could make. And perhaps (?) repeat directors demand more money for each successive iteration. (?) I don't know.

MadMax likes this.
  18. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I have always thought that Peter Jackson proved the concept of shooting multiple movies at once with Lord of the Rings. There is a seemlessness to them that you couldn't get if you shot them one after another, and God forbid, with difference writers and directors. I was curious as to why Disney did not go this route with the main Star Wars story line. Use the side stories as your experimentation, but pull together one writer and one director to shoot the trilogy at one time and keep it cohesive.

To put it in perspective, I think the final scene in Return of the King when they are at the Grey Havens has portions that were the first scene they shot for the whole trilogy.

#278 Supermac34, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    MadMax likes this.
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I agree that I hate that they didn’t use the novels. Thrawn was perfect for the new triology instead of the crap they went with, but you’d have to pay Zahn for the rights and he’d want a fortune

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With captions! Why not? ;)

B-Bob likes this.